Drakan: Order of the Flame

Theartofvincent

Watcher
Drakan: Order of the Flame is not quite an rpg; it’s an action/adventure game with a limited inventory/spell system that’s a cross between Tomb Raider and Dragon Heart (film). In its day it was open, intriguing and let Rynn traverse the land on foot or sky via Dragon. Having Arokh a mere holler away and hovering overhead crafted a partnership and added an element of game play that felt empowering. The dungeons are filled with beasties and traps, and there was enough gear/powers to at least keep things interesting. And surprisingly, the A.I. occasionally did more than charge you, be it run to reinforcements, submit or employ boulders. Not bad for the games time.

Some of the character interaction is quite humorous (think Succubi flirting with Arokh and Rynn) and it delivers a variety of enemies (ah, the Giants). The action is good and gory, the dragon attacks satisfying. By now it’s apparent I’m here to talk this game up, but I do so on its own merits. I find this game to be an overlooked gem much as I do ‘The Wheel of Time’, given its ability to successfully construct a fantasy world and deliver the snacks us RPG Gamers eat up.

So what I’m saying to you is, have you not played it – find a way to get your hands on Drakan: Order of the Flame. If you do and you can’t get the game to start let me know, I have some fixes for modern machines.

screenshot82.jpg

drakan4_640w.jpg

drakan_profilelarge.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's an interesting game.
However, I found the length of the tunnels quite boring, and I got too easily lost within the "Islands" area.
The biggest frustration for me, however, was the cutscene of after the end-fight ...
And the next biggest frustration was that the story continued on playstation ONLY ...

I quite liked Drakan back in the day. The PS2 sequel is much better, except for the long loading times and large memory card requirements. Also, it's much more of a true action-rpg than the first game. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a PS2. The first game is definitely worth your time, though.

Drakan came with one of my graphics cards, and it was rather entertaining. 'Wheel of Time' was okay as well, but when it comes to underrated/overlooked Fantasy type setting games I actually prefer 'Die by the Sword'.

My PS3 can play PS2 games. So I look at ebay for Drakan. One new copy BIN of $40. (Ouch) I'll look around the flea market that we have near here every sunday. Can usually find a ton of ps2 games there.

I've never heard of 'Die By the Sword,' and just like that you've peeked my curiosity :)
It looks like another game I own called 'Deathtrap Dungeon', also "Blade of Darkness'. It seems now I have a game to track down.

'Die by the Sword' was a fine game... dismemberment, correct physics, dark humor. I'll never forget the protagonist's 'Haaaah!' and 'I'll cleave your head from your bloody shoulders!' :).

'Deathtrap Dungeon' was a tad different although both were slightly Tomb Raiderish (DD more so than DbtS); I never really got into it because it was so different from the original Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy Book No. 6 - I'm a FF nut). Though it was nice to see Baron Sukumvit.

The later 'Blade of Darkness' had similar features, but it was too difficult for my taste.

I could never get Deathtrap Dungeon to run, sadly.

One day I'll try it anew.

I could never get Deathtrap Dungeon to run, sadly. One day I'll try it anew.

You really should, after all "there's only one thing more torturous than playing Deathtrap Dungeon. Not playing it". Apparently.

deathtrap%2Bad.jpg

I heard not every one is able to ?

No. The earlier ones could run PS2 games via hardware. They discontinued that. They then brought back some that could run the games via software. But some of the machines can't run them at all. They really screwed that up IMO. They all should be able to run PS2 games via hardware.

Back
Top Bottom