Cryostasis

Sounds like some of you are over-analyzing the situation. I like to simplify things by rating a game as "crap" or "non-crap". ;)

Unfortunately Cryostasis is more of the former...

So, does this one fall into the Bioshock zone, where anyone expecting an FPS is going to be sorely disappointed, but someone looking for an experience that happens to include a lot of shooting will have a good time?

I couldn't even get it to run correctly, soooo...

Of course, since GameSpot users are the same ones posting on some of the absolutely most flaming, useless, and infantile forums ... and their critical staff has been gutted and shown to be 'on the take' ... I don't know how you could do much worse ... ;)

Im not there for the gamespot review. Im more interested of the list of other reviews and user reviews. The gamespot reviews come last - I usually read only the pros and cons it gives.

Also I dont read the gamespot forums so I dont know how infantile they are. The user reviews however do have som well-written and reasonable reviews though :)

Last edited:
So, does this one fall into the Bioshock zone, where anyone expecting an FPS is going to be sorely disappointed, but someone looking for an experience that happens to include a lot of shooting will have a good time?

Tough to compare. Bioshock, while not what some people were expecting, was at least a good game with high production values. Cryostasis has a mostly "budget" feel to it throughout much of the game. It's also a much "slower" game, both in game pace, and the actual movement of the characters.

Not so much budget as lacking a strong carrot at the end of the stick. The game had a huge team and nvidia spent some dough helping with production. That said, it is a slow paced story game with a FPS body, and it really isn't for everyone.

My main gripe after having completing it would be that the team involved with designing level progression reused too many encounter triggers (turn switch, kill stuff, reheat etc).

75% would be my rating overall.

Back
Top Bottom