Help! Good (old) action/RPG needed

I kind of liked Lionheart. The only thing wrong with it is the diablostyle combat, but that's only an issue if you dislike diablo.

Here's a few that should not require a stellar computer to play, each one with female protagonists and fantasy setting.

Might & Magic VI-IX (the quality of theese is questionable, but they are so !%")/( addicting people love them anyway)
Exile ("spiritual prequel" to avernum)
Wizardry 8 (questionable since it have a mix scifi/fantasy world but is mostly fantasy)
Prelude to Darkness (free download)
Divine Divinity

Last edited:
I wonder if Oblivion would run on it if you grabbed the "Oldblivion" mod. It's a mod that changes the textures and settings to run on older systems. I thought of Heretic Kingdoms, but I see its been mentioned. U5: Lazarus is a good choice too. That will take her 200+ hours to solve. Plenty of time to finish NWN2 if you can get her hooked on Lazarus. Thank God my wife doesn't like to play computer games :)

I wonder if Oblivion would run on it if you grabbed the "Oldblivion" mod.
Based on a quick search, it might ... depending on processor and version of integrated graphics ... oh, and RAM.

summoner might work. probably my favourite multi-platiform rpg i've played. not sure how others felt about the game it is fairly linear. not too many 3d party based rpgs though out even today. . nwn2 might be the only 3d party game i like better, which i'll know when i finish it.

You could always dig out Majesty with the expansion. The expansion's difficulty and random map generator should be good for a few days' gaming, even if she's worn the disks out. I know Kayla was always a true Majesty junkie.

Why not Titan Quest ? Even the men wear squirts in that one.

Is the Summoner game mentionned here the old SSI single player dungeon crawl, or is it another one ? I know the PS2 has a Summoner game also.

Last edited:
Why not Titan Quest ? Even the men wear squirts in that one.
Because he was looking for games that would run on an older laptop with integrated graphics - that is why people aren't pushing new / high tech stuff. 'Oldblivion' is a mod that tunes oblivion for very low-end systems (and makes it look like Revenant!) ... but at least it works.

I got Darkstone when it was released and it quickly put Diablo to shame with it's graphics and then when Diablo 2 came out and had the same graphics as Diablo I was stunned.
Darkstone had done everything better,
Spoiler

Hell they even had a Dragon.

Yet Diablo 2 comes out looking like crap compared to games a year or two older with much smaller budgets and Dev team (?).
The Devs excuse, they actually really said this "we didn't know anyone wanted better graphics", so I never wanted to play a Blizzard game again, maybe why I never have played WoW.

"Silver I just don't know, so I'll look into it."
If you don't mind Japanese style RPG it's fun except she might leave you over the last battle being such a pain it almost ruins the game.

As txa1265 and fatBastard() mentioned Nox, iir it's a guy too. :(

Thought about mentioning Lazarus also since you listed Dungeon Siege, though it's a guy also, iir.

What about getting her online with the orginal EQ or WoW (ifi it will run) those are certianly time consuming?

"Even the men wear squirts in that one."
Lol. :p

@ Cormac:

The PS2-Game was portet to PC (wow, someone else remembers the SSI-Summoner^^)

@Acleacius:

The Lazarus Main-Char can be male or female (as in Dungeon Siege).

Thanks, Fenris. I'll try to look it up.
That old Summoner PC game was pretty good. Played it a long time ago.

Fenris
"The Lazarus Main-Char can be male or female (as in Dungeon Siege)."
Ahh thats good news, I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. :(

Cormac
"That old Summoner PC game was pretty good. Played it a long time ago."
I kept thinking KotOR was my first port to PC, till I remembered Summoner looking though my games for this thread and had a lot of fun with this.

Not sure how much everyone likes music from games, but Summoner had a couple damn nice tunes, anyone remmeber So Long, Wolong?
Holds up very well still a favortie song, a great fusion of Asian classic and techno.
http://www.summoner.com/downloads/wolong_mp3.zip

nice find Acleacius. somehow i don't remember that tune although i do remember wolong. is it a remix? last time i played the game was before i converted to playing all games with only headphones about 3-4 years ago. i do enjoy it though and makes me want to go back and play through it all again. i had misplaced one of the discs for it for a couple years and just found it a few months back going through my collection.

summoner 2 by the way was only on ps2 and is the only ps2 game i ever bought, but since i have never owned a ps2 i got halfway through on my brothers but then he erased my game (and have never made an attempt to try and play it again). more visceral experience but didn't 'do it for me' like the first one did.

curious, I agree Wolong was very cool atomsphere and has always stood out to me too, I really think its the same song, though it could be a remix my player says Wally Shaw, year 2000.

You know just like Drakan Order of the Flame I just could never bring myself to buy the console sequels, though I reallly enjoyed both orginals and like you mentioned hearing reviews of people disappointed didn't modivate me.

I am headphone user too, don't think I could ever go back to speakers. ;)

I remember thoroughly enjoying the soothing guitar music in the monastery location in Summoner and when I later came back after it had been ransacked and the music had changed I was at first sad that it had changed because it was so good but then I started listening to the new music and I was simply blown away.

The whole game is in fact packed with brilliant music of many different styles and genres and definitely one of the strong points of the game.

I got Darkstone when it was released and it quickly put Diablo to shame with it's graphics and then when Diablo 2 came out and had the same graphics as Diablo I was stunned.
Darkstone had done everything better,
Spoiler

Hell they even had a Dragon.

Yet Diablo 2 comes out looking like crap compared to games a year or two older with much smaller budgets and Dev team (?).
The Devs excuse, they actually really said this "we didn't know anyone wanted better graphics", so I never wanted to play a Blizzard game again, maybe why I never have played WoW.

Are you talking about the same Darkstone I played, with the cool music video by the band in the town square after you unlock the quest? The one where the characters had dangerously sharp pointy shoes and the maps and levels were virtually identical? I did love this game and had a blast playing it with my grandsons of 5 and 6--they caught on instantly, it was cool--but I can't believe you're raggin on Diablo 2 for having worse graphics. Darkstone graophics were almost embarassing and if it hadn't been so much fun they would have kept me from playing it.

Well, after this thread I started to play Divine Divinity.

Well, after this thread I started to play Divine Divinity.
I've added it to my radar based on a few different conversations, but I haven't had any luck finding a copy.

fatBastard()
"the new music and I was simply blown away."
That would be Iona2 and I felt the exact same really liking them both and the second was even better, silky guitar with jazzy techno. ;)
http://www.summoner.com/downloads/iona2_mp3.zip

magerette
Well actually I am just raging on D2 but yes I think in general Darkstone was much better.
I bet actually have camera view control, having on central town and the game was an actual 3D game not 2D had something to do with it. :)
Though the textures could be better in D2, I really can't remember any more, so I will default to your info. ;)

I wasn't overwhelmed at the idea of Blizzard spending all there money on cut scenes while the game looked like pile of refried beans. :p
I give more credit to smaller developers that actually tried to improve on the formula.
Even on Moby on hardcore FPS sites like Firing Squad knocked the game hard.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/darkstone

HiddenX
“Soulbringer”
Hey, copycat! :p

Back
Top Bottom