Warhammer Quest - Review @ RPS

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has released their thoughts on recent mini-release Warhammer Quest. Some excerpts:

Ported from the iOS apaptation of Games Workshop’s mid-nineties tabletop tactical RPG, Warhammer Quest isn’t the most involving game you’ll play this year – it’s probably not even the most involving game you’ll play in the first fortnight of this year – but once you’ve fought through the worst elements of the UI, there’s a compelling rhyhthm and pace to proceedings. The whole thing has the depth of a ditch rather than a dungeon, but it’s the perfect accompaniment to a late night podcast catchup session. Not distracting or wordy enough to prevent the brain from engaging with something else simultaneously, nor dull enough to fade entirely into the background....
But the interface is an intrusive annoyance. It’s as if the tablet version of the game has simply been glued to the middle of my monitor. There’s no menu option for fullscreen, although alt-enter will force the game to swell. As soon as it does, the lack of an in-built fullscreen option seems entirely sensible. Stretched to the borders of the monitor, Warhammer Quest looks like somebody sneezed a great gobbet of snot and fantasy RPG into their hanky, then wiped it across the screen. It’s smeared....
Warhammer Quest fits snugly onto a very specific shelf in my gaming library. It’s not a game I’d miss if it were gone but, like a crossword puzzle or a Peggle, it’s a perfectly acceptable side dish while my mind is multitasking. It’s advantage over a crossword is that it doesn’t require the attention of my linguistic lobes so I can more easily listen to people talking on a podcast while I’m playing.
Overall, the iOS origin of the game, the optional micro-transactions, and the shallow design will give most of us pause, but there still may be some brainless, quick fun for those who can look passed these issues.

More information.

It's three times the price on Steam compared to iOS… and then there still is micro transactions? I'll pass on this one.

I believe the PC release (at least the Deluxe version) contains all the real content, which is one reason why the price differs. The only microtransaction left, to my understanding, is the ability to buy in-game gold with real money, but I get the sense that it's neither necessary nor recommended for enjoying the game. The base game might not have everything, but I think it still has more content than the iOS base game. At least that's the impression I'm under after reading a bit more about it.

Anyone try this yet? Seeing mixed reviews among players.

I tried to read this and got Phishing attacks!

Daniel.

Anyone try this yet? Seeing mixed reviews among players.

It is acceptable on iOS ... But if I am going to play a game on my PC or Mac ...it is NOT going to be this!

Back
Top Bottom