Mortal combat

akarthis

Sentinel
Taking a break from Fallout New Vegas, i decided to check if there is anything new at Playstation. I saw Mortal combat demo and i downloaded it. I played some rounds checking my favourite scorpion and after that i played some with my girlfriend. Cool. But later, when my friend came to watch uefa football match i was blown away. No match and many hours later i was trying to do fatalities.
I think i will buy this game and i haven't played mortal combat since 1997. It might even beat my favourite tekken.....
Any thoughts?

Yesterday I saw an dvertisement in a local Gamestop shop :

"Uncut only for preorderers !" (That's the wording I have stored in my memory) - And the game is console-only …

I understood it so that pre-orderers of this game get a "special version" ? which includes the uncensored brutality of the game - meanwhile the "standard" release of this game is kind of … censored ? regarding brutality.

Used to play the original MK in the arcade, and I also had the first few titles on the SNES. I don't see myself ever getting back into 1 on 1 fighting games though. Maybe I'll try the demo just to see if I get any kind of nostalgic feeling.

@Alrik
That means i played the censored one? It was brutal though....

@JDR13
Yea, i know what you mean, but somehow yesterday night i really enjoyed it. i don't have any fighting game at ps3 at the moment,so one might help create some nice nights with friends.

I don't like fighting games. But Soul Calibur for the dreamcast.... wow.. what a game. :D Even if I don't like a genre... there could be games that are so good you'll enjoy them anyway.

So is it soul calibur dreamcast quality ?

You don't have to worry about censored versions unless you live in Germany (everything depicting blood and violence is censored) or Australia (the Aussies just ban the game outright).

I've never really been that much into Mortal Kombat before, but the demo got me hooked as well, so I've preordered it and it should arrive on the 20th of this month ... and besieds: How can I possibly pass up a chance to kick some serious bloody butt with the almighty Kratos :excited:

Tekken 2 and soulcalibur are my two favourite fighting games. Spent many hours with them when i was studing at the univercity, with my roomate.

I don't know if it will be soul calibur quality but i really hope so. And it felt that way. But i have to say it's been a long time i played a fighting game.

@Alrik
That means i played the censored one? It was brutal though….

You don't have to worry about censored versions unless you live in Germany (everything depicting blood and violence is censored) or Australia (the Aussies just ban the game outright).

Yes, I think the ad just meant to imply that preorderers can see the whole iolence whereas the majority won't ... And this ad was in a German Gamestop store, so it was directd at Germans ... ;)

What begins to disturb me is, though, that they begin to use this - being not censored - of a game as an actual selling point ...

Mortal Kombat, Tekken and SouldEdge/SoulCalibur are my favorite fighting game series. The last MK game I played was Armageddon which was rather good but I liked Deception better. I never noticed that there was a new one coming out... should check that one ASAP ^^.

Okay, so who are your favorite characters in each series? Mine are... hmmm...
MK: Kano (first love), Baraka (could play him on the arcades with a broken arm) and Hotaru.
Tekken: Kazuya (first love) and all the Jacks.
SoulEdge/SoulCalibur: Kilik and Maxi (in his blond incarnation).
Gosh, I have so many fighting games. Had 25 alone for my first PSOne.

The only fighting game I've ever played in the arcade halls was the original Virtua Fighter. I played it quite a lot but stopped when I realized I had spent a small fortune on the damn machine :D (and had beaten the high score with more time to number 2 than the accumulated time of position 2 through 10)

Both Soul Calibur and DOA have completely gibberish stories but their characters make some sort of "sense" in their respective setting, but I've never understood Tekken. One thing is the ridiculous hairstyles but the setting seems fairly "real" ... except for the half human half animal creatures. Perhaps I "should have been there" from the beginning to understand it properly. :movingon:

As for my favorite character: Well, even though I didn't really play as him that much I must say that anyone using Drunken boxing scores high in my book but also the elderly Chinese dude in the Virtua Fighter with the long braid (his character and signature move is taken directly from one of the famous early Jackie Chan movies: Snake in the Eagle's Shadow with Jang Lee Hwang).

I spent quite some time playing MK2 in the arcade halls. And I had my arm in a cast at the time... that's why I loved Baraka, his moves were so cheap that I could win by just using two fingers.
The cast didn't prevent me from playing Doom, either.

Oh right, I forgot DOA. Bayman and Kasumi would be my faves. I also liked Fighting Vipers, but that was an arcade exlusive game for me.

As for Drunken boxing… my personal favorite fighting in this style is Bo Rai Cho of later MK games. I also like how in the MK kart game (in Armageddon) he vomits all over the road as a special move :p.

My favourite characters are heihatchi from tekken. I think i could beat anyone with this guy.
MK characters i like are Kanu and scorpio. Though i was never good with the first.
From soul calibur i would go with the samurai guy(i don't remember the name) and the character that used a rapier(i don't remember the name too.)

From soul calibur i would go with the samurai guy(i don't remember the name) and the character that used a rapier(i don't remember the name too.)
Mitsurugi (the Ronin) and Raphael?
As I'm not really a joypad acrobat, I'm usually best with slow, but powerful characters like Tekken's Jack (and most of the others I mentioned). I'm better at watching an opponent carefully and striking once he opens his cover than at mastering 100-button-combos.

Fighting game for brick layers : "Mörtel Combat" :lol:

:rotfl:……..

Good one Alrik :clap::thumbsup::lol:

Here I thought that fighting games were dead for me, i just bought Street Fighter 4 for the 360 and having a good time w/ it. I'm kinda looking at the Marvel vs Capcom 3 too...

I'll check out MK and see what it looks like, didnt play the original much, was always into Street Fighter far more.

Back
Top Bottom