Drakensang: TRoT - English Version Still OK?

Finally.

Now to free up some space for this game (739 MB left).

why shouldn't it be ok?
even the release of the addon is not in question.
the problems are only related to finding a new publisher/investor...

Good reviews. The sequel is better than the first one. Same engine, but full VO, more interesting quests, and more freedom.

and they put in some quick-travel points within the area maps, so you don't have to walk from top-left to bottom-right ;-)

the river of time has shorter playing time than pt1 though

I actually don't care about voice over.

I'd just like the game to be a little more interesting in what happens, what you find, etc. Killing the same things over, and over and over got boring.

I loved the colorful art style and the fact that it never crashed once and ran beautifully. But finding lint, a knife and 5 gold pieces gets boring after a while. And magic never seemed very powerful.

:w00t:

Loved the first, and I didn't want to have to get my ex-girlfriend to come over and translate for me to play this one.

Next time think twice before you make her ex. :p

why shouldn't it be ok?
even the release of the addon is not in question.
the problems are only related to finding a new publisher/investor…

Because dtp have done such a fine job telling the English audience anything, ever?

Yes, it's obvious some financial restructuring at the developer doesn't affect an international publishing deal for an otherwise finished game but since we have a few (non-German) Drakensang fans here and noone ever tells us anything, I thought some readers might appreciate something.

We appreciate the news, Dhruin. Just ignore the whiners and know-it-alls.

While I'm still saddened at the fate of the studio, I'm happy to learn the game should still be released for those of us in the English-speaking community.

And, unlike Ovenall, I loved the low-magic world with just a few magical artifacts scattered about. It made magic special again. Though, perhaps I wouldn't mind one or two difficult quests or tucked away locations that contained another unique magic item or two.

I think I just need to get back into the gaming business. I have some good ideas that have been brewing for some time.

I am very glad to hear something positive on this front. I tried playing the demo using the fan-based english translation. While I greatly appreciate the work they did and it make playing the demo worth my time and enjoyable, I would not buy the game hoping to play it using that translation mod. (Again, they did a great job on it and I know a ton of hours were put in.) :thumbsup:

I would not expect players to invest the time and effort it would take to completely translate a game of that scope. But the lack of translation on so many things killed the emmersion value and my use of some items since the look of them was new and I did not recognize them. Here's hoping the english version comes out soon. After tasting the demo I REALLY want this game. ;)

From my thread on DTP's website.

JOG on 27.05.2010, 11:55:36

Localisations require translation and voice acting of native speakers. Organizing this is the publisher's job, not the developer's. So unless there's a clause in the contract that forbids the publisher to release the game they will continue. Also it's the insolvency administrator's job to support anything that will keep the money flowing.

Also keep in mind, that Drakensang is a licensed product. Most of the IP belongs to Ulysses Media (the publisher of the P&P game) and electronic computer rights are administered by Chromatix. So there's a third party that may have a say in this.

To put it in a nutshell: Unless dtp themselves go defunct, chances are very good that the english version will still be released at about the same time as the addon (i.e. August).

Most of the IP belongs to Ulysses Media (the publisher of the P&P game)
Not true: the IP is owned by a company called Significant Fantasy, who license portions of the IP out to others: Ulisses (with a 'i' btw) only has a license to produce and publish the pen-and-paper game, Fantasy Productions licensed the novel rights, Chormatrix has the video game license (they sublicensed to Radon Labs and Silver Style), etc.

Back
Top Bottom