Skyrim What kind of character will you play first?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
For previous TES games, I usually played a Dunmer mage or some sort of mystical Dunmer archer with some spell casting.

However, considering that there are something like 280 different perks to choose from, 20+ different dragon shouts each with three levels of effects and much deeper crafting for combat and stealth characters, I'm considering playing a character who doesn't use any magic at all, even enchanting. I imagine this type of build must have been pretty rare for Oblivion and Morrowind since enchanting and spell making are so important.

Also, I was blown away by all the race preset screens and I have absolutely no idea which race to play first. I'm actually thinking of playing 10 different characters over time so I can try all of the races. (It will probably take a couple of years!)

What will you play first? Which race, weapons, skills, perks, etc., will you choose? Will you play a male or female? Do you know why they were arrested?

Here is what I'm thinking for some character ideas (along with the reason for being detained at the Skyrim border) - not sure which character I will go with first:

1. Orc Bandit Marauder
Reason for Arrest: Caught attempting to smuggle a mammoth carrying a large quantity of Skooma
Skills: two-handed battle axes, smithing, heavy armor, (nothing else, no alchemy, no spells, no enchanting, no block)
Perks:
- Limbsplitter (Two-handed, 3 ranks)
- Deep Wounds (Two-handed, 3 ranks): Attacks with greatswords have a 10% change of doing critical damage.
- Skullcrusher (Two-handed, 3 ranks) Attacks with warhammers ignore 25% of armor (Requires Two-handed 30)
- Devastating Blow (Two-handed)
- Great Charge! (Two-handed)

2. Khajit or Dunmer Dual Wield Assassin
Reason for Arrest: framed by the Dark Brotherhood for the murder of the High King of Skyrim
Skills: one-handed weapons (dual wield daggers), pickpocket, poisons (alchemy), sneak, security, speechcraft (no enchanting, no smithing, no spells)
Perks:
- Assassinate (Sneak, daggers do 10x damage with stealth attack)
- Savage Blows (One-handed)
- Charge! (One-handed)
- Bone Breaker (One-handed, 3 ranks)
- Bladesman (One-handed, 3 ranks)

3. Bosmer Ranger
Reason for Arrest: caught attempting to smuggle human flesh
Skills: archery, alchemy, speechcraft, sneak, security, pickpocket, light armor, smithing (no enchanting, no spells)
Perks:
- Bullet Time (Archery)
- Zoom (Archery)

4. Argonian Tribal Shaman
Reason for Arrest: suspected of Necromancy
Skills: Illusion, Alchemy, Enchanting, One-handed axes, staves, Smithing (nothing else)
Perks TBC

5. Dunmer, Altmer or Breton Necromancer
Reason for Arrest: suspected of being a Skooma addict
Skills: Conjuration, Destruction, Restoration, Illusion, Enchanting, Alchemy, (will use one-handed dagger occasionally, but not much)
Perks TBC

Ugh.. Some of those colors are hard to look at. :)

As for myself, I've always played an Imperial Explorer.

Sorry - I think I fixed it.

What sort of individual would your Explorer be? Do you mean a visitor from another land, such as an Imperial from Cyrodiil who has never been to Skyrim, sent on some mission to explore for the Empire?

I might play an Imperial diplomat/soldier with light armor, one-handed blades, high charisma for convincing NPCs ... and (of course) the power to open locks ^^. A person who has never been to Skyrim before, but is willing to learn and get along with the natives. And steal from them, should the opportunity present itself ;).
But actually all this might change once I get my hands on the game.

I was playing in previously tes games as a Bosmer Ranger, with the same skills except for believes.
As it does not seem to be that unique as was mentioned here, I am thinking now about Argonian priest or better to be called missionary, who tries to change the world that he lives in be helping the argonians and khajits most or other inviduals who are treated as a scum. Decided that there is another way to help the peoples other then only to donate septims,he embarked the ship in the cold and long journey to Skyrim.

Reason for Arrest: suspected of murdering.

Speechcraft,Destruction,Alchemy,Restoration,Alteration,Enchanting.

I'll play the, "Where the hell is my spear skill!" character.

Seriously though:
Dark Elf
Skills: Alchemy, Enchanting, One-Handed Weapons, Light Armor, Destruction (of course) and Conjuration.
Reason for Arrest: Suspected of Necromancy (Down with the man! Undead have rights!!!) ;)

I'll play a Breton Alchemist/Mage. Reason for arrest would be likely be attempted poisoning of Nordic nobility. I believe the Dark Brotherhood replaced my Nirn root with something more sinister, when I wasn't looking. Basically, a powerful mage who's more interested in exploration and potions, than blowing up the nearest mountain. The Dragonborn part of my existence would just be another fascinating thing to learn more about.

I'd prefer to play a stealthy/illusionist type. Either Bosmer or Dark Elf. This kind of character can be the hardest to play. I am worried it won't be viable against dragons...

My backup option will be my old standard, an Altmer Battlemage.

I'd like stealth characters too, so I'm gonna play a (maybe female) Dunmer/Imperial Assassin, using primary bows, and dual daggers/shortswords for melee, with a bit of Illusion skill too (hoping that Illusion spells will be useful, of course ;)).

As a second character, maybe I'll roll a Nord with dual axes and average magic skills, especially for ranged damage and healing (if you've ever played the Enhancement Shaman in WoW, you know what I mean).

Dunmer thief assassin sneaky climby stabby type, or maybe embrace the Nord experience and go heavy weapons and power. Still deciding.

Never played a khajit, that might be fun

Stealth-based archer/assassin type character here too.

Most likely a Wood Elf - though I'd prefer Dark Elf in terms of the aesthetic.

My first character in Morrowind was a Khajiit monk who started out going hand to hand, but gradually shifted to a more bang'em out with something heavy and blunt approach. I'll either bring that character back or like Sammy, go the full Nord Barbarian-as-oh-so-close-to-being-a-derivative-viking-as-possible route.

I'm also partial to Dunmer assassins and Altmer Battlemages, but we'll see how good the game is first. ;)

I'm excited about resurecting my bosmer thief/archer from Morrowind. I couldn't play her in Oblivion because of the awful voice. The bosmer face presets might take a bit of getting used to though. If not a bosmer then a nord warrior type. I'll probably end up playing both. My bosmer for the College of Winterhold (alchemy), the Stormcloaks and the Thieves Guild, and my warrior for the Legion and the Companions.

Back
Top Bottom