Gothic 3 chests and the rewards they hold...

Well I think its for several reasons curious and one of them was the time constraints, normally a designer wouldn't put out the Uber weapons till in the final phases of development, which PB did not have at all, afaik.
I think they had to make serious cuts and random loot for Highend gear was one of the cuts.

@hwfanatic, you are spot-on with your suspicions re: your quote - [Why? I don't get it. I really don't. Is there some divine point to this that I'm missing?) - - the answer put simply *YES*

We are all aware that in G3 when "interacting" (one way or another) with various item and characters etc' - that the effect of the associated allignment will have consequences for the nameless hero within the game world and the final outcome. This was explained by PB.
So the highlight text was colour coded and placed above the object/beast/character so as to warn of the divine reaction within the favourisms of the three gods.

It is by the use of "divine intervention" of the related god magics that cancel-out these effects. So in the case of 'RED' text'd chests, using a suitable negating magic, eg: the 'unlock' spell, the red text will change to white which means the reaction of the relative chest owners god will reverts to neutral and will allow the contents to be taken. I suspect that the contents reward factor is somehow linked with this.

I am trying to add to this discussion (as unlikely as it may seem to some).

Gothic was, until now, good at creating a functional world where people would interact with each other, factions and animals too. And the whole Gothic "universe" would work just as well if the Hero didn't show up at all, although some alternative events would probably take place. So whenever I come across a chest I like to assume some skilled person made the chest and the locking mechanism with great care, then sold it to some other person for a hefty price and then finally the second person put some of his or hers belongings for safe keeping. And this whole immersion thing really goes into thin air when I come across randomly placed chest, generically locked with randomly generated items in it. It's like it was put there just so I can bloody loot it!

I think that's not what Gothic is supposed to be about.

@Wulf It's an interesting theory. :)

going along with the divine notion i would state that since all these special powerful items are in normal locked metal chests that you can open with the skills granted to you at the strart of the story adanos wanted you to open all of these. if you advance in thieving (beliar) then you are drifting away from the center and will find it harder to keep track of what chests to open. and if you are as pure as innos then you won't open many of these chests at all and miss out on a lot of this power set before you.

imagine these set amount of special items and a set amount of chests which they can be in. now picture them all as stars in the sky floating around you the north star which is the center of the story which all revolves. will there position not vary at any given time of the day, or time of the year? you must also let the sky turn before you to see all the stars that are to exist. thus you must search for each one of these chests to fully get a grasp of the constellations that exist until all is known to you...and you are most powerful.

Well, my own experience in the matter is meager at best, but here goes...

I believe the chests could be both level based, or "how-many-chests-already-opened" based, but they certainly aren't all random, because I once reloaded about... 30 times to open a single Impossible-locked chest, and I got more or less the same things (bit of gold, bit of transformation potions, some random loot). Of course, that might mean the chests are simply weighted, because that was one of the first impossible locked chests I found (Schrats near Vengard).

<shrug>

...can't sleep so heres more...
the constellations could be interpreted to be the different types of lesser 'divine artifacts' which each have a set number of items/stars but are independent of the order of the other constellations.

1 handed swords-this is one of the largest constellations and thus finding them all can be difficult. the flame sword is not part of this even though powerful, since it can be bought multiple places. ironically the ice sword is much weaker but there is only one. hopefully the fireblades stats are lowered in the patch.

2 handed or large weapons-a good amount of these

magic staves - there are about 6 of these one for each magic class and a couple of others.

shield - a very small constellation i think the only shield that is of magical power is the rune shield.

amulets - there are over 15 of these that are unique such as the amulet of the druid. there are also many that are not. there are many of these, for instance i found over twenty of the protection of ice and amulet of health.

rings - its possible there is only one of these that is unique.

recipes - these are ones that can't be bought or earned through quests. i've found 2 pure magic ore recipes and there might be a couple more.

-i've been wondering if it would have been possible at all to have the lockpicking game at all in gothic 3. the sheer size of the game in that it is ~5 times larger than gothic 2 gold and with it a vast amount of chests it might make one get tired of constantly been forced to perform the task. also the openness of gothic 3 would be hard to justify staticly placing all these powerful artifacts thus forcing you to have play by a certain route if you wanted a certain item. in previous gothics it worked because there was some amount of linearness. but as the prior gothics chests could be seen as a two-dimensional sky in a 3-d world now they have a 3-d chests system to match there great 3-d world and i personally wouldn't want to look a sky that was always oriented the same even though i did have the freedom to see it all and look where i want.

i think pirahna bytes should be congradulated on evolving this aspect at the very least. not to mention the actual skies in the game are the best i've ever seen...i would of payed $10 if the game only had one hill where all you could do is look at the clouds pass by, the moon phasing in and out, and the fog rolling in

Alright, this is from a guy from GameFAQs... hope that helps. :D

LMago said:
Because there is another forum (in Russian Language), when some guys, with little help from me, research what type of chests have Gothic 3 and what type of items you can get from them. I try describe it, sorry for language because I don't know English very well. So they found there is 8 types of chests:

1)Chest with white word "Chest" above. Without lock, small number of random loot.
2)Chest with red word "Chest" above. Lock, normal number of random loot
3)Chest with red word "Metal Chest" above. 2nd level Lock, big number of random loot
4)Chest without word above, 1st level Lock, big number of random loot with one permanent weapon item. Loot changed with Save/Load, but 1 item always be here.
5)Chest without word above, 1st level Lock, big number of random loot with one permanent magic item.
6)Chest without word above, 2nd level Lock, with one random high level item (scroll with high level magic, blank magic ore, magic staff or other things) and low level loot.
7)Chest with 3rd level Lock, with permanent number of gold. More open chests of this type - more number of gold
8)Permanent chests (like Alchemist chest in Cape Dun, Ali's Chest in Faring, Ashton's Chest in Montera, tutorial chests in Ardea). Permanent loot.

There is 2 list of items for chests 4-5. #13 is Bearded Axe, #14 is Katana, #15 is Paladin's Sword in weapon list, so you need open 14 chests of this type to get Katana, there is Bearded Axe in 13th chest and Paladin's Sword in 15th chest.

I'm not really a big fan of random items in chests or containers in single-player games either. In multiplayer games it's great because it makes the other players who share the world with you more diverse and unique (since items ultimately amount to money which ultimately amounts to strength multiplied by level). But in a single player game, although I can understand that, at least for some people, it may increase the replayability, at the same time I think it takes away from the suspension of disbelief. I'll try to explain... If everytime I open a chest or container I know that I have a random chance of finding something good or something bad, I'll be tempted to reload to a save just prior to opening the container and try again until I get something I'm happy with and since I know that this is repetitive and that it's not the way the real world works, it makes it harder to enjoy (only slightly). Now I know there are some people out there who're tempted to flame at me for comparing the game with the real world... I know it's not supposed to be real. But it is supposed to be a fantasy. Fantasies have to be, at least to some extent, loosely based on the real world in order for it to feel liveable. Unless we can feel the fantasy is alive, we can't immerse ourselves into it and truly enjoy it to its fullest. Some people (perhaps even most for all I know) might be able to imagine a fantasy with random chests... or similarly, a world where the contents of a container which no living being knows about might actually depend on the person who opens it, but I for one cannot. I believe quite inescapably, that trees really fall when no one is around to see them fall, that things exist as they are whether or not any human being or living entity is aware of their presence, and that things just generally happen in a natural order; that the world or universe doesn't revolve around any single entity, but rather everything it's composed of as a whole, essentially indistinguishable from its other parts.

Since the Gothic 3 system isn't completely random (it is based in part on the number of containers opened), that makes it better. How were the loot systems in Gothic and Gothic 2? I don't remember.

For "normal" chests the G3 loot system _is_ completely random. In G1 and G2 there was no randomness at all.

Back
Top Bottom