Last game you finished, tell us about it

!

Last game i finished was Fallout 1,they kick you out from the vault in the end.Those bastards.

edit:spoiler!

Sadly I don't think it is very likely that they will make a part 2 or 3 of advent rising, even if they do get the rights to it. So long has passed since the original game was released that it has been forgotten by most. It would be possible for them to just reboot the series, creating a new game based on the story in the first game and then continuing from there, that might generate enough interest for it to be viable to actually finish the series, but it sounds unlikely.

Blue Dragon

Last game I actually finished was Blue Dragon. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It kept my interest throughout the whole game and made me want to finish it, which is surprising for me, because with a lot of games I get bored of them and quit half-way through (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc). This game kept me playing. It's definitely one of the best JRPGs I've played in quite awhile.

Overall the game is very beautiful and has a distinct art style. I admit, I didn't like the art style at first, but it grew on me. The music is beautiful too. The game really touches your heart and captures your imagination if you let it. The story cutscenes are great and exciting. It would be great for a younger person to play, but it's good for adults too, if you approach it from a child-like perspective, and don't expect something overly mature, or graphic, or anything like that. Just expect a good old fashioned RPG where some kids save the world from the approaching evil. It's very much made in the same vein as Chrono Trigger, and other classic JRPGs of the past.

The gameplay is pretty fun and addictive too. It's turn-based battle, and you have various classes and skills that you can play with, and you are free to customize your characters in any way you see fit. It's cool. There are some really vivid locations that you won't soon forget after playing. There's also some optional content that can keep you playing for quite awhile longer than usual because you have to level up to a very high level to complete it. So you get good bang for your buck. And now the game costs like $10 used. Definitely worth picking up.

Overall it's just a really good game. One of the best RPGs I've played on an XBOX 360.

Indigo Prophecy "Fahrenheit" review

I'm one of those silly Americans :p I agree completely with your review of the game. It started off as a very interesting and realistic murder mystery. It had unusual but workable mechanics and really felt like a good movie, but one you were in control of. That's what made it so disappointing once the story started losing control. It became silly, filled with ridiculous scenes (the QTE scene where you are running from the giant bug things also didn't respond correctly for me and I had to mash random buttons to finally get passed it), and I realized the way I played the game didn't seem to matter much after all. It had the potential to compete with cinema, but instead ended up a mediocre video game. Maybe someone can do something better with a similar method of story-telling. I hear Catherine is a good, mature experience, but I altogether gave up on console gaming about a year ago.

Limbo review

I have to say I thought Limbo was an interesting game too. I loved the style and the art. It would be nice if it had slightly more story, but it worked for what it was quite well. If I had any complaints, it would be that it was too short and too easy. I played it from beginning to end in one Saturday afternoon with no problem. Personally, I thought Braid was a much deeper experience (story and gameplay-wise, art direction may be a wash), but Limbo was still good.

@Fluent, then try out another XBOX 360 Exclusive RPG, Lost Odyssey. :) I'm sure you'll like it!

Indeed, I love Lost Odyssey. One of the best RPGs I've ever played frankly. I really like Mistwalker games. Can't wait to get ahold of the Last Story if it ever comes to the states. I hope it does.

Indeed, I love Lost Odyssey. One of the best RPGs I've ever played frankly. I really like Mistwalker games. Can't wait to get ahold of the Last Story if it ever comes to the states. I hope it does.

They will. It's official. :) The last game to have Ninty's permission is the Pandora's Tower. :)

It's funny how those guys use Greek names in their own games... xD

God of War: Ghost of Sparta(PSP) - It's also in PS3, if anyone wants to play it.

I don't know if anyone played it and finished it, but I'll tell some stuff from it.

Short story
This game takes place between God of War 1 and God of War 2 right after Kratos sat on Ares' throne and before Kratos makes a step on the fall. Your mission is to find Kratos' lost young brother, Deimos, in request of his mother, Callisto, who has been abducted by Ares and sent to Thanatos' realm to be imprisoned in reason of being the Marked Boy, who's being predicted to destroy Olympus.

Miscellaneous
This game is from normal to hard in Normal Mode, but the difficulty is way harder than the Very Hard in God Mode. The difference is very sensitive between the modes. The monsters have been quite improved than the rest of the God of War series. The only bad news is that it's a bit glitchy in some points, such as when you want to slash cut in two the Tritons, sometimes the indicated button DON'T APPEAR, and such as the barrier glitch preventing the monsters from hurting you(It's also very visible in Erinys Boss). Another bad news is that as usual the PSP controls aren't very controlable and uneasy to have under control making it a bit uneasy to execute the attacks you wish. IMO, they ought NEVER bring another God of War game in PSP.

What's different in God of War: Ghost of Sparta
If you guys remember the Mortal Kombat 9's Krypt, where you collect the achieved collectibles and you unlock the game's stuff, you should note that you'll need to collect the Red Orbs for Zeus' Temple to unlock not only the usual stuff(artwork, background work and stuff), but also the 3 locked videos showing side stories about this particular game. You need to complete Zeus' Temple to unlock Challenges of Athena.

I just tried to play X-com enforcer, the only X-com that I have not played before (it came with the X-com collection that was on sale on Gamer's gate not long ago). Note, I did not finish the game, but I played enough of it to feel like never returning to it, ever. So here it is:
X-com enforcer
X-com enforcer was the last game made in the venerable X-com series, and it is often considered to be the worst. Much like the upcoming X-com shooter sparked a lot of rage when it was first revealed, the fact that X-com enforcer is a shooter annoyed a lot of fans back in the days. But some games are hated, not because they are bad, but because they are too different from the rest of the series (Ultima 9 was not a horrible game, it was just not really an Ultima game).

In this game you play as an enforcer, a robot built to kill the aliens. The missions consists of you running around, destroying alien teleporters (without them, the aliens can't warp in) and saving humans. The game is played from a 3rd person perspective, with a camera that is fixed to a location just above and a few dm behind your character.

Graphically X-com enforcer is quite competent. It never won any prizes for its graphics back in the days, but it does not look bad. It looks like a game using the unreal engine. The sound effects are also quite alright. Nothing outstanding, but they were not bad either.

But that is the best things that can be said about the game. The controls are absolutely horrendous. The default controls use the arrow keys, and no mouse look (what is this, a game from 1993?). That can of course be changed, but once you start to play the game, you will realize why they used these default controls. While the world is in 3d, there is never any real need to aim up or down, and the mouse sensitivity is just messed up. The vertical and horizontal sensitivity don't match, which means that trying to aim somewhere is downright painful. The camera is fixed at a strange angle and all you are able to do is change where in your very limited field of view you aim (you really can't see far ahead of you). The enemies can of course see further than you, but you can take a lot of damage, and they will die very quickly, so I guess that evens out a little bit.
Killing enemies will net you powerups and chips used for research. It feels rather odd to play an X-com game where the enemies will drop large purple growing orbs that will make you run super fast, and it really does not work with the art style of the rest of the game.

But if the broken controls and strange powerups were not enough, you also have a very annoying character who keeps telling you where to go next/telling you that you destroyed something. Imagine hearing the same voice clip over and over and over again. Yea, that is what will happen to you if you play this game. And the voice is obviously one from a voice actor who tries very hard to sound geeky and have a more nasal sound to his speech (typical movie geek, in other words), but who's real voice does not match the one he tries to portray. Also, you are encouraged, by the game mechanics, to seek out secrets (and there are plenty). But if you take too long to move from one point to another, the annoying voice will keep telling you that you need to go to the next enemy teleporter and destroy it (and it does of course have to sound a bit snarky while doing so).

This game feels like it tries to mix together classic isometric arcade shooters, 3d shooters and X-com, and fails miserably on all accounts. So in conclusion, don't play this game. There are so many games that does everything that this game sets out to do so much better. Had the controls worked as they should, and had that annoying professor been left out, it would have been an alright game, but as it stands, it is not. I give this game a 1.5/5.

Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance 2 is one of those games that I've told myself that I really should try to play through a long time now. My first impression of it was less than stellar, I did not like it. But due to the amount of hype surrounding the game I finally sat down and played through it. And let me just say this: This has to be one of the absolutely best tactical games that I have ever played, if not THE best.

I won't waste your time explaining the game, as I'm sure that most people here are familiar with it (if not, then I can). I just wanted to say that I've been converted, now I am a huge fan of the game, and plan to do a second playthrough (with Sci-fi mode on) in a near future.

:thumbsup: Attaboy!

Just finished the Witcher tonight finally. I have never had such mixed feelings about a game. 90% of the quests bored me to tears, some of the dialog was off, there was an abundance of contrivances with the same characters magically reappearing everywhere I happened to be, character models were endlessly recycled (which caused some confusion), and some parts of the story were confusing. I thought a darker color palette would have fit better with the game's setting. I absolutely detested having to run back and forth trying to figure things out like what combination of two items to bring the Lady in the Lake out of the six options the game allowed me to choose from. It felt like a lot of the choices didn't represent how I thought about the situations my character was in. It truly felt like a chore for me playing this game. By the time I was half way through the final chapter, I was certain that the game could be nothing but a disappointment overall.

Then the end happened and it all seemed to come together. Clearly the best part (for me at least) of the game happened in the last 5% of the game's play time. I was left with tough decisions, interesting possibilities, and philosophical questions. I could see how my various choices had made an impact and was rewarded or punished based on things I had done.

It really leaves me in an interesting situation. I would love to play the game again to learn more about some of the questions I was left with and see how things would play out if I had chosen differently, but I don't want to spend another 60 hours muddling through all the drab moments in the game. I stuck with the game because I had read how great it was and what a big impact your choices had on the outcome. Even the game told me that I would have to make world altering decisions (around chapter 3), which kept motivating me to stick it out. Did others have a similar experience to mine, or did those of you that are fans love the experience throughout?

*****MAJOR SPOILER*****

Was Alvin the Grand Master? I think he was.

Last edited:
I enjoyed The Witcher immensely once I got past the prologue and first chapter. It's definitely one of my favorite modern crpgs, but that first 10-15% of the game is a little boring imo.

To answer your question, yes, I believe so. It's been a topic of debate among Witcher fans for a long time, and the devs have purposely remained vague about it.

You might want to hide that with a spoiler tag btw. :)

Wiki is down today, so I wouldn't mind reading up about it from you Fnord.

Is it just a team-based shooter, or is there a lot more to it ?

There is a lot more to it actually!

Jagged alliance 2 is, at its heart, a TBT (turnbased tactics) with CRPG elements.

The game starts rather simple, you are told that the fictional country of Arulco is in need of help, and that the tyrannical queen Dedriana is making her people suffer, and that it is your job to save the country. You are given a starting sum of money that will be used to hire other mercenaries. You are also allowed to design one mercenary of your own. He/she is not a representation of you though, he/she can die and it won't end the game, but as this is the only mercenary who you are allowed to design yourself, it is in your best interest to keep him/her alive. At first you are asked a few personal questions, which will impact what special abilities your mercenary will have (I read up a bit on it after I had created my character, and there is a relatively wide range of special abilities, ranging from being better at certain weapon types, to being better in night fights, to just being better at talking to people. There are negative traits as well, like for an example one will make your team become less happy, as you are such a jerk to them). The game never tells you straight out what these do, you will just have to guess if there is any specific trait that you are looking for (I found the night fight trait to be invaluable). After that there is some stat/skill allocation to be done, nothing too complex, but enough to warrant multiple playthroughs with different characters. After this semi-you is done, you are allowed to hire a team of mercenaries, all of which come with their own skills, abilities, equipment (you can chose to not let them come with any equipment, which will make them a bit cheaper, but for the starting party, you really want everyone to have at least a gun), likes & dislikes. Each mercenary can be hired for either a day, a week or two weeks, and the longer you hire them, the lower the price per day will be.

After that, the game itself starts. You are dropped right into an enemy occupied village, and you have to kill all the enemies in the area. The game plays out in real time, as long as there are no known enemies in the area, but as soon as you see an enemy, the game will switch over to a turnbased mode. And this is really the meat of the game, the tactical gameplay. Much like in X-com, your soldiers have action points that they spend in order to walk, shoot, use their equipment, reload their guns and so on, and also much like in X-com, your soldiers are quite fragile. Not quite as fragile as their X-com counterparts, but if you leave a soldier out in the open, chances are that he or she will get shot to pieces and die, so it is important to always make sure that your opponent has a low hit chance against you, either by standing behind cover, going prone and/or try to engage them at a longer range than their weapons are made for. It is also incredibly important to not get flanked, as that can result in a lot of incoming fire against a single one of your soldiers and your cover won't help you.
And because your soldiers are relatively fragile, fighting in low-light conditions is preferred, as it means that you will take less incoming fire. It will of course also mean that you can't see as far, but this is where the night fighting trait comes in, and you can also acquire night vision goggles, which are immensely useful. Enemies tend to gather around lightsources (around buildings, near boom barriers outside bases and such), so you can, if you play smart, take advantage of this. It is important to realize that the enemies can hear you (and you can hear them), so gunfire, running or other noisy activities will attract more enemies. This is another thing that can be used to your advantage, as you can set up ambushes.
There is a surprising depth to the tactical elements of this game, something that is not immediately apparent, and the game really rewards good use of all the elements. It actually does a far better job at this than any other game in this genre that I have ever played. I just feel that it could have introduced these elements a bit better, for an example had the first fight been during the night, then the use of sound and low light conditions could have been introduced to the player, instead it is up to the player to discover how to use these elements.

There is also a strategic element to the game. Once you are done with the first village, the game world opens up, and you are told that you need to conquer as many town as you can, as these generate income for you. Your mercenaries won't be happy if you can't pay them, so getting at least a few of these towns is important. Every town apart from one is heavily guarded, but once you have managed to take them, the people will be happy to provide some financial aid (all income is generated from mines, which are part of the towns). Of course, if you leave a town undefended, then queen Dedriana will just send her soldiers to retake them. In order to prevent this, you need to train a militia, which will cost both time and money, but the investment is usually well worth it. You can also hire more mercenaries as you go along, and while you can't have more than 6 in each team, you can have multiple teams, all working independently. While the strategic element is not nearly as deep as the tactical element, it still adds to the game, it makes the game world feel more coherent and alive.

The game also has a relatively simple RPG element to the game. The soldiers gets better at what they do (if one uses his/her gun a lot, he/she will get more accurate, if one works with maintaining the equipment, he/she will become a better mechanic). Apart from that, there are some side quests that can be solved through dialogues, some people who will join your cause if you can convince them to and a fare amount of dialogue to be found in the game that is just there to add to the immersion. The different mercenaries also have opinions of their own, and while I never experienced that my actions had much of an impact on it, the presence of other mercenaries will affect their mood, which in turn affects their loyalty. Simple, but it does give them personalities of their own. Also, every line of dialogue is fully voiced, and considering the amount of mercenaries you have at your disposal, that is a lot of recorded dialogue, at least compared to what most other games at that time had. Of course, with that many mercs, they don't have a whole lot to say.

Overall, I feel that the game could have done a bit more to introduce its different concepts, but once I got into it, I could see why this game is praised by almost every single person who has played it. This is a deep and very interesting game, which seem to offer a lot of replay value. It has a few technical issues (it crashed a few times on me, and my savegames got corrupted twice (after first time, I started to save often, and in different slots)), its graphics were never considered to be very good, but even with those flaws, I would recommend that everyone who has not yet played this game does so. Make sure that you get the Gold version, it has a few bug-fixes and it is also more new computer-friendly (the version on GOG is the Gold version). Getting the game is not very hard either, even though it was released in 1999, new boxed copies are still being made, and it is also being sold on GOG, Steam and Gamer's Gate (boxed copy seem to be the cheapest way to get it, followed by GOG (for us Europeans, but the Gamer's Gate version is currently 50% off)).

*edit* Oh, and I will make sure to check out some of the mods. I've heard a lot of good about 1.13. Thanks for the link!

You might want to hide that with a spoiler tag btw. :)

Thanks to Jaz for doing this for me. I didn't know how to make use of the spoiler tag and now I do!

Interesting game anyway. I'm glad I stuck with it. As many complaints as I had with the game, it struck an impression on me like few games have, and I find my thoughts going back to it regularly. I probably am not going to play through the game again, at least not any time soon, but I look forward to seeing how the game was improved in the sequel and continuing Geralt's journeys.

It's interesting, I had told Alvin he should consider being a knight rather than a witcher (to which he responded he would be a witcher-knight). It fit in so well with the Grand Master's plans. I also recall the Grand Master bringing in his knights to kill some creatures in the swamp for me, vaguely stating that he was paying me back for something. I loved how the seemingly small choices I made worked into the dialog near the end.

Also, I love that the game let me defeat "death". I like to imagine Geralt is now immortal. It's hard to get any more badass than that.

One of the more satisfying game ending experiences I have had.

Last edited:
@rossrjensen

I too got tired of the boring back and forth caused by Witcher quests to the same areas (exacerbaed by long loading times and repeated boating cutscenes), and put the game down for a long break at one point. But the game is definitely good.

Back
Top Bottom