Original Sin - Review Roundup #4

Negative publicity to get more hits I bet. His review was completely baffling.
Well, at least it isn't outright wrong like Game Informer's was. The thing is, it isn't much of a review. A review should give opinions but it also needs to give enough information so somebody who disagrees with your opinions will be able to see whether the game is one he/she will like. It's more like a diary entry than a review, IMHO.

Well, at least it isn't outright wrong like Game Informer's was. The thing is, it isn't much of a review. A review should give opinions but it also needs to give enough information so somebody who disagrees with your opinions will be able to see whether the game is one he/she will like. It's more like a diary entry than a review, IMHO.

No but he basically sensationalized any weakness he could find and left anything out that was even remotely good. He should work for Fox news

Good review at Den of Geek -> 5/5

With that said, it is refreshing to a point to a see a game that is so unapologetically old school in 2014. Over the last 10 to 15 years, far too many RPG franchises have focused on streamlining their games in order to attract more casual gamers and the extra money that comes with them. Player choice is something that has been lost in recent years and Divinity: Original Sin does a superb job of scratching that particular itch.

htxt.africa [REVIEWED] Divinity: Original Sin 8.6/10

Welcome back, old-school

In the end, Divinity: Original Sin is a beautiful, satisfying RPG that introduces new players to some of the things that made classic RPGs so amazing, while pleasing older gamers with a glimpse of what old-school ideas look like dressed up in new clothes. Ultimately it’s a beautiful marriage of old and new, and one that will please RPG fans no matter their age.

I have to get back on those rare "this game is just a bit above mediocre" reviews. Like KillScreen.

That imbecile didn't even notice that unlike any other game you can manipulate containers and leave them anywhere in the whole game world you want - and it'll still be saved. You can't open a chest? Okay, put it in inventory and retry later (when you get lockpick skill high enough or find a proper key). It's too heavy to carry it all the time? Who cares? Leave it near a portal to get back to it fast.

Also he didn't notice you can carry and use whenever you want water or flamable barrels. You need one desperately but it's not in that dungeon you're exploring? Big deal.

And he didn't notice you can combine fluids+electricity or oil+fire unlike any other game. Who needs AoE fireball? Make an oil surface, light it up!

D:OS introduces many new stuff not only in the genre but into gaming itself. And all are fun.

KillScreen should IMO concentrate only on reviewing Flappy Bird clones on phones. And those crappy I can't go to the toilet now although I'll explode if I don't go because if I stop playing now, I'll have to rerun an hour of grinding as there is no option to save the game outside of checkpoints!
68% on D:OS? That is an insult.

Last edited:
Divinity Original Sin Review: A RPG that won’t back down rating: A-

Pushing you to your limits

Divinity: Original Sin will help RPG gaming vets rediscover what once drew them to the genre, as well as show newbies what hardcore RPG really means. I was heavily engaged in each encounter, after I figured out what combinations worked best. However, the steep learning curve may not appeal to everyone, but if you love the unforgiving attitude of Dark Souls and tactical RPGs, like Banner Saga and Baldur’s Gate, you’ll find a favorite it Divinity: Original Sin.

Game Debate: Don't be a Div rating 9.5/10 (Great)

It's really great. It's so clever. Really, a top game. These are not just things I'm saying here in the review - they're phrases I muttered under my breath as I was playing it. Always a good sign. Of course, there are a few small issues to criticise, but I wonder if they haven't just put them in to give journalists something to talk about in the spirit of giving a balanced view. Sometimes, things are a little tough to click on - selecting the right person to attack in a busy melee when the sprites are slightly moving can result in sending your archer charging into the fray instead of firing an arrow sometimes. Inventory management, particularly when trading, could certainly have used a lick of paint to streamline things a little - it can take forever to shuffle the right seller to compare weapons, for example, and each character has their own gold rather than it being automatically pooled.

But such trifling concerns really don't deserve your attention. This is a modern RPG classic that screams for your attention if you have even a passing interest in the genre. Clever, in-depth, engrossing and just utterly wonderful.

You could almost call it divine.

Nice to see more reviews but I'm not making more review roundups for the game. We should all know by now how great the game is. If you don't shame on you.

Nice to see more reviews but I'm not making more review roundups for the game. We should all know by now how great the game is. If you don't shame on you.

Can't read enough of them...

Game review: 'Divinity: Original Sin' role-playing done right rating 9/10

We are amidst a great resurgence of PC RPGs that borrow from the greats of ages past while taking advantage of modern quality-of-life improvements, graphics and sound. "Divinity: Original Sin" isn't just a great turn-based RPG, it stands tall on its own as an amazing title where players can truly blaze their own paths through the world as elemental wizards, crafty rogues and brutal warriors.

Just remember guys make sure the game gets 1st place this year. If I remember it won third place last year for the most promising game of 2013.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=233&ref=2&id=1

At RPGwatch (and before at RPGDot) we always have had somewhat of a soft spot for Larian Studios. Perhaps not all of their released games have been perfect, but they are a great team that show a refreshing way of communicating with their fans and know what it takes to make a RPG that we will enjoy.

Divinity: Original Sin would have been made even without the funding from Kickstarter, but it can be made better and closer to what they have envisioned now that they raised over a million dollars for it on Kickstarter. All those who have pledged or have payed for Early Access can play the alpha version of the game and see where it is heading and offer feedback, which they use to further improve the game.

The release date is still a bit unclear with rumors having it at Q2 or early Q3, but as Swen "Lar" Vincke has mentioned aready a few times: It's done when it's done. With that in mind this is bound to be a contender for Best RPG in 2014, together with the others in the top 4.

Last edited:
Even without TW3, the upcoming competition is strong, so we can't be sure.
I wouldn't mind if it's on #1 spot in the end. But there are at least half a dozen RPGs incoming, all promising.

It's definetly so much better than Bound by Flame. Leaped above Stick of Truth (which I adore too) in all departments except for the story.
Dunno if it's better than a few other games released this year praised on this site I just refuse to buy (Banner Saga, Xenonauts, Shadowrun).

Just remember guys make sure the game gets 1st place this year. If I remember it won third place last year for the most promising game of 2013.

As far as I know Pillars of Eternity is still releasing this year. ;)

Even without TW3, the upcoming competition is strong, so we can't be sure.
I wouldn't mind if it's on #1 spot in the end. But there are at least half a dozen RPGs incoming, all promising.

It's definetly so much better than Bound by Flame. Leaped above Stick of Truth (which I adore too) in all departments except for the story.
Dunno if it's better than a few other games released this year praised on this site I just refuse to buy (Banner Saga, Xenonauts, Shadowrun).

I already said(few times) that D:OS is goes in my top 10 RPGs(maybe it ends in top 5 by the time I finish it) so it would take something really special for it not to be my GOTY.

My second on the list would be Age of wonders 3 followed by Xenonauts and Shadowrun dragonfall.

That all depends on how quick the beta gets finished. ;)

I was going to vote for for the Witcher 3, but it was pushed back to 2015. We also have Lords of Xulima, and Wasteland 2 this year. To many games to decide.

Anyway if the game doesn't get first place it better get the second, or third spot. If not I'll be one steamed potato. You guys don't want an angry potato.:mad:

The PCGamesN review sums up how I feel about the game.
When I play Divinity: Original Sin, I’m back in my parents’ study, gleefully skipping homework as I explore the vast city of Athkatla. I’m overstaying my welcome at a friend’s house, chatting to Lord British. And it’s not because the game is buying me with nostalgia, but because it’s able to evoke the same feelings: that delight from doing something crazy and watching it work, the surprise when an inanimate object starts talking to me and sends me on a portal-hopping quest across the world. There’s whimsy and excitement, and those things have become rare commodities. Yet Divinity: Original Sin is full of them.

Doesn't really look like Pillars will even hold a candle to D:OS from what I've seen so far. D:OS is an alltime classic. I'd still expect Pillars to be the 2nd-best RPG this year, though.

But maybe I'll be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom