F:NV Fallout New Vegas thoughts

Fallout: New Vegas
Thanks I'll try, I feel it's like a curse because I was almost ok when I realized how vision distance is short, seeing living stuff appear only when they are very close and I don't see how try change that.

I removed the only mod UI I tried to get back the full in game graphical options and I couldn't believe my eyes to not find any setup for the resolution, nor the depth of field (or field depth or any good english name for this and that I don"t know).

Lol, it's an indie game??? Well no it's insult indie dev because even indie dev don't do anymore such basic awful things, tired of technical crap of this game. That's exactly why I hate sometimes the PC Gaming so much, too much boring time lost into technical crap problems. :(

Just got to Boulder City and so far I think its been a great game. I do agree somewhat with the graphic complaints though. I think the graphics are actually pretty good, but with the color pallett being so brown, it makes it very difficult to see things that are laying on the ground (the two things used to make the healing potions come to mind)

Just got to Boulder City and so far I think its been a great game. I do agree somewhat with the graphic complaints though. I think the graphics are actually pretty good, but with the color pallett being so brown, it makes it very difficult to see things that are laying on the ground (the two things used to make the healing potions come to mind)
It's not a problem of game appeal, in fact to be appealed made more irritating (I'm easy to irritate and even more from soft/computer issues!!) the various details issue like constantly scrolling options in dialogs, or this short range field depth.

For my last setup problem, I hadn't quote/ had forgot there was options in screen before the launch of the game. And ingame graphical options are just unclear, but those pre game options are much more clear.

I think I have solved all problems now and will reuse one of the UI mod to get more dialog options without to scroll a lot, at least time to enjoy, I hope. Let see the good face of PC gaming now. :)

Probably want to use an UI mod to reduce the fonts on the inventory / barter screens, too. DarnifiedUI MAY work for you. It shrinks all UI elements for FO3. But, I tweaked the HUD scaling back to the default appearance since I am playing on a small screen.

Probably want to use an UI mod to reduce the fonts on the inventory / barter screens, too. DarnifiedUI MAY work for you. It shrinks all UI elements for FO3. But, I tweaked the HUD scaling back to the default appearance since I am playing on a small screen.

I use the ui mod that figment posted (thanks figment), it's beta but seems do the job for dialogs and it makes hud smaller, it's a darnui beta version for FNV.

Now it's fine, there's just two points that could have work better for me, I have huge inventory troubles (choose str 4) and I haven't find yet a right difficulty setup, I changed to easy after feel overwhelm by fights and new it's clear at easy it's too easy and this spoil a bit my fun, I'll revert to normal difficulty once at level 4/5 I'm close to 4. But well it's ok anyway, the mood is good and for now playing without quests cursor is fine even if the game lacks of a dialogs history.

It's pretty easy to edit the xml file to customize things like hud scaling. I couldn't figure out how to change the meter indicator colors, though. Colorblindness is a bitch...

New to the forum so I wanted to spread my thoughts on this game, which I consider to be the best RPG in a long time (on the PC anyway).

Actual choice and consequence! A real faction system where you can't work for everyone! Writing that is not only good for a video game, but good for anything! Scaling that does not stop some areas of the world from being super dangerous or super easy! Unique items that are actually unique, and well hidden often times! World design that feels deep and complex, not like a funbox or amusement park! A real ending, with slides and repercussions!

I could go on for a while longer, but you get the gist. New Vegas is a real RPG and I loved it from top to bottom for two playthroughs in a row. So much better than Fallout 3 you could fit a large planet in the gap.

New to the forum so I wanted to spread my thoughts on this game, which I consider to be the best RPG in a long time (on the PC anyway).

Actual choice and consequence! A real faction system where you can't work for everyone! Writing that is not only good for a video game, but good for anything! Scaling that does not stop some areas of the world from being super dangerous or super easy! Unique items that are actually unique, and well hidden often times! World design that feels deep and complex, not like a funbox or amusement park! A real ending, with slides and repercussions!

I could go on for a while longer, but you get the gist. New Vegas is a real RPG and I loved it from top to bottom for two playthroughs in a row. So much better than Fallout 3 you could fit a large planet in the gap.
I wonder, is it the first perfect RPG? :p I haven't really played it yet so I can't comment, it's just a remark.

I wonder, is it the first perfect RPG?

Well that really depends on taste. Some people want turn-based combat where player reflexes are completely unimportant and for them obviously the real-time shooting sucks. Some people want a more directed and cinematic adventure like a Bioware game and for them the story probably sucks.

For me though, yeah it's pretty damn close. Deus Ex still beats it for having more unique solutions to quests and problems, probably. Morrowind might still beat it for having a well designed world. Gothic 2 for exploration, Baldur's Gate 2 for combat... in the end though, New Vegas, for me, stands tall with those names in overall RPG success.

I'm certainly still looking forward to a time when I can dedicate myself to this game like it deserves.

I didn't buy it until after the 4th patch or so, because I didn't want to be pissed like I was with FO3, due to crash bugs and what not.

I'm waiting until I have several days off to invest myself fully - but from what little I played, it seemed fantastic.

From the few I played I don't think shooter fans have more chance to enjoy it because shooting and random don't match well at all. Thanks there's a non real time shooting, far to be my favorite fighting system and very far from fighting quality of Fallout 1, but at least it seems do a descent job, I mean not bad.

Well that really depends on taste. Some people want turn-based combat where player reflexes are completely unimportant and for them obviously the real-time shooting sucks. Some people want a more directed and cinematic adventure like a Bioware game and for them the story probably sucks.

For me though, yeah it's pretty damn close. Deus Ex still beats it for having more unique solutions to quests and problems, probably. Morrowind might still beat it for having a well designed world. Gothic 2 for exploration, Baldur's Gate 2 for combat… in the end though, New Vegas, for me, stands tall with those names in overall RPG success.

that is a damn good impression - good job.
For me it just missed being a top 5 RPG (of all time) but that was due soley to the number of crashes in the game. Just totally unforgiveable. And it's pretty clear they knew they had problems before they released the game to the public.

Still, this game was so good, I just simply gritted my teeth at each reboot and pushed on. I would like to see a version somehwhere down the line that fixed this game's continual crashes. But my gut feeling tells me it is buried so far in the code, there will never truly be a stable game.

I actually never had a crash in over 100 hours of play. That engine is very finicky I guess, for some people it offers no end of problems but I have really never had issues with it.

I bought the game ~2 weeks ago (half price and quite patched up, what's not to like?) and came to this thread to say basically the same thing. I'm extremely impressed with almost every aspect in the game, I didn't expect something this good from something that externally resembled FO3 (which was still decent) so much.

Take Caesar for example: Very cool idea for a faction, they looked very Roman while still being wasteland-y and they felt like a very real, rather than wacky, threat to the rest of the Mojave. The writers paid attention to a detail like the modern vs the Latin pronunciation of Caesar with some NPC commenting on it, most just calling him Cesar and Marcus, obviously being more learned than most humans, using the "correct" name without making anything of it. I like details like that.

Also, Caesar himself almost talked me into helping him in Render Unto Caesar long after I'd decided to back the NCR.

Now, a Hardcore run siding with Caesar I think. An unarmed+melee character should be good when ammo has weight, I just feel it will depend maybe too much on getting a high DT early.

Now, a Hardcore run siding with Caesar I think. An unarmed+melee character should be good when ammo has weight, I just feel it will depend maybe too much on getting a high DT early.

Yeah, take any perk that goes through the enemies DT. I played melee my second go-around and it was relatively easy as long as I took the right perks and played smart.

Surprisingly unarmed ended up the most important for me because the knockdown effect was awesome and the various power-fist weapons are some of the best in the game.

I started playing this last week (still full price on Steam). I'm very impressed so far! I've got something like 30 mods installed and the game has only locked up on me once. Of course, one of those mods is a big list of player fixes, so that may be why.

The mods are pretty great right now. The music that is in the game, for instance, is a pretty tiny selection. I've heard "Kick in the Head" way too many times now. All I have to do, though, is head over to Nexus and start downloading a bunch of old (public domain) songs and that's fixed!

I'm not real sure what the deal is with Steam achievements. I've modded the behoovies out of this game so I expected to get none at all. Some definitely don't work but others have still been awarded! Weird. I would think it would be an all or nothing deal.

As far as music royalties go, I think 90% of the money must have gone into the Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra ditties ;) There wasn't much money available for anything else! That's ok, though, because the composer did such a good job with the ambient soundtrack of the game, blending old and new. Hell, at times I thought I was hearing Arcanum.

Additionally, the game is much more stable than Fallout 3 ever was.

I never have the radio on while walking around, so I just hear it in shops and homes and stuff. For that they have more than enough music in the game.

Nexus didn't fail me. I added 155 songs, mostly old public domain stuff but I tossed the theme songs from Morrowind and Oblivion in there, too, just because I could.

The game is running exceptionally well under 3D Vision! Ironic, given Bethesda's disdain for Stereoscopic 3D.

Back
Top Bottom