Peter Molyneux: “I’m only going to make one more game.”

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
All I can say is…Thank God!

“Could I sit down and describe it to you in full at the moment? No, I can’t,” he said. “But that is my thought. We’re going to make a game, we’re going to learn what it is to make a game in today’s world, and it’s going to be the defining game of my career.”

http://beefjack.com/news/peter-molyneux-im-only-going-to-make-one-more-game/

If the word "Bullshit" was in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Peter Molyneux next to it.

Couldn't agree more. He's obnoxious. Annoying. A pure PR bullshit spewer. All in order to sell sell sell. When I heard that he was planning to do some game where players would pay to see what's inside a cube, I thought I was gonna die laughing. Could it get any more commercial than that?

And he fancies himself an innovator. Seems like he also has a God-complex. He must be awful to work with. I'd hate to be in charge of putting his visions into practice.

He should get together with Ken Rolston and start a Kickstarter :) It should be interesting to see just how far you can get on bullshit alone.

What cube game.

He should get together with Ken Rolston and start a Kickstarter :) It should be interesting to see just how far you can get on bullshit alone.

What's with the knock on Ken Rolston? Rolston at least has 3 very high-quality games on his resume. He actually delivers on most of his promises.

Dude's just a little eccentric and likes to talk a lot. He hypes things up not because he's just trying to sell something, but because he genuinely feels excited about his projects. At least that's the vibe I get from watching him, and I've watched about 50 of his interviews for Reckoning. He seems like a good guy.

Ken Rolston - Excited about promises he has no idea how to deliver.
Molyneux - Excited about promises that have nothing do with reality that he is totally confident he can deliver.

And Rolston has 1 high quality game on his resume :p

He has no idea how to deliver? What has he promised and then not delivered on? Serious question. He delivered pretty much everything he promised with Reckoning.

And I really can't take you seriously if you say he only has 1 high quality game on his resume. Morrowind, Oblivion, Kingdoms of Amalur. That's 3 high quality games that have gotten good reviews. 2 of those games were voted Game of the Year by various websites, and in my opinion Kingdoms of Amalur is severely underrated (yet still got good reviews). So I'd say he has a pretty good resume.

Delivered what he promised with Reckoning? I doubt you've heard him talk about it.

As for Oblivion and Morrowind - what exactly did he deliver that changes that he's a mouthpiece full of hot air? In terms of design, they're both average at best. Reckoning was supposed to be a direct competitor in the same freeform open world RPG space. It's pretty easy to see that he didn't take much of the good stuff from his days at Bethesda.

Listen to him talk, and he'll go on and on about nothing tangible - with wild dreams and bullshit design notions. Maybe he has vision - but he certainly doesn't understand game design.

Anyway, Molyneux has several quality titles in his resume as well. It doesn't change that he's an absurd character that could never deliver anything remotely in the vicinity of what he's promising.

They're both like that.

They need to combine with Bradley if they really want to impress us!! :)

He has no idea how to deliver? What has he promised and then not delivered on? Serious question. He delivered pretty much everything he promised with Reckoning.

Except for, you know, a game that doesn't suck.

And I really can't take you seriously if you say he only has 1 high quality game on his resume. Morrowind, Oblivion, Kingdoms of Amalur. That's 3 high quality games that have gotten good reviews. 2 of those games were voted Game of the Year by various websites, and in my opinion Kingdoms of Amalur is severely underrated (yet still got good reviews). So I'd say he has a pretty good resume.
Budweiser is the best selling beer in the world. Doesn't make it a good beer. Snooki is a best selling author. Doesn't make her a good writer.

Morrowind deserved its praise. Oblivion was mediocre at best. KoA was flat out terribad.

Molyneux (Molyneuxed, Molyneuxing)

Definition
Noun
1. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.
2. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language.

Verb
1. To attempt to mislead or deceive by talking nonsense.
2. to talk in an exaggerated or foolish manner.

Examples

1. Cindy knew she didn't have the proper identification to enter the club, so she decided to try to Molyneux her way past the doorman.

2. Thankfully, the bomb threat was nothing more than Molyneux, and nobody was injured.

3. Both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney spent much of their time Molyneuxing people during their presidential campaigns.

Synonyms - Balderdash, Bollocks, Drivel, Hogwash, Poppycock, Rubbish, Twaddle.

Budweiser is the best selling beer in the world.
This is a false statement……………Budweiser is no beer ;).

Molyneux (Molyneuxed, Molyneuxing)

Definition
Noun
1. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.
2. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language.

Verb
1. To attempt to mislead or deceive by talking nonsense.
2. to talk in an exaggerated or foolish manner.

Examples

1. Cindy knew she didn't have the proper identification to enter the club, so she decided to try to Molyneux her way past the doorman.

2. Thankfully, the bomb threat was nothing more than Molyneux, and nobody was injured.

3. Both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney spent much of their time Molyneuxing people during their presidential campaigns.

Synonyms - Balderdash, Bollocks, Drivel, Hogwash, Poppycock, Rubbish, Twaddle.
:lol:

In my eyes, the only way for Peter Molyneux to redeem himself is to create a successful spiritual successor to Populous. Black & White had potential but fell short IMO.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Molyneux do a spiritual successor to Magic Carpet(I really enjoyed Magic Carpet 1&2), but this time with rpg elements. Magic Carpet was an amazing PC game for it's time, it really pushed the high end of games in the DOS era, because it had a high res mode which required 16mb of ram when most serious gamers only had 8mb, therefore pushing the envelope and encouraging gamers to upgrade) or try his hand at a supero hero rpg, he tried to do a superhero game before, but didn't succeed(the invincibles).

In my eyes, the only way for Peter Molyneux to redeem himself is to create a successful spiritual successor to Populous. Black & White had potential but fell short IMO.

I agreed on both statements.Black and white did have potential but went too much towards classic RTS for sake of attracting wider audience.But there is question is he capable of creating something of populous quality anymore?

This is terrible news…

That means we have to put up with one more game.

You don't have to put up with anything - you can buy the game or leave it be. He may be the king of Hype, sure - but I think the way people started hating on him is a bit over the top, really.

Back
Top Bottom