Your Favorite RPG from Developer Spiders?

Your Favorite RPG from Developer Spiders?

• Faery: Legends of Avalon

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Of Orcs and Men

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Mars: War Logs

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Bound by Flame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • None for Various Reasons

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
Okay, I'll put them on my "play someday" list. Once I run out of regular games, it is good to have these types to fill in gaps.

Okay, I'll put them on my "play someday" list. Once I run out of regular games, it is good to have these types to fill in gaps.

LOL

They are better than fill-in-the-gap games. While Of Orcs and Men is a very very very short game, it had its merits. The two player team was implemented far better than Beyond Divinity. And the overall alternative story it told was on par with Maguire's "Wicked." Additionally I usually play a mage or an archer in my RPGs, but I just loved how they handled being an Orc. It's too bad the game was so short and basically told on the rails. It had some really good stuff and could have been a contender, I mean classic.

I haven't played any of these yet. I'll have to go see what they look and play like. Okay, looking at the videos these look like adventure games, not crpgs. Are there things like stats, skills, inventory, level ups, etc? Can't tell from the videos….

The two I played (Game of Thrones and Of Orcs and Men) are definitely RPGs, they have things like stats, skills, inventory, level ups and etc (as in C&C). They are also not twitch based, you can almost pause the combat while you queue up different actions for your one or two characters.

Well good luck trying to convince crpgnut the games are RPGs.:lol:

To me anyway all their games are RPGs as they have stats, skills, inventory, companions, level ups, choice & consequences, and best of all multiple endings.

The only problem is the short game length, but sometimes a short RPG is better than a one hundred hour game filled with filler content to pad it out.

One thing I would like to see is a publisher give them more funds.

Update: My interview is still in progress so look forward to reading it.

Nah, they look like crpgs, just a different feel than what I'm used to. I just prefer long games that I can sink a couple hundred hours into. I use these types of games to fill in the spaces between the longer games. I'll probably buy and play all of them eventually. Enough of you seem to like them, that it sounds like a no brainer.

I'm always after quality and not quantity.
Still didn't figure out where the new Wolfenstein with 50 gigs of textures and 10 hours max playtime till finish fits.

Anyways… I don't need 100 hours games if during 99 hours I'll be killing endless respawns. That's a job, not a game.

I'm always after quality and not quantity.
Still didn't figure out where the new Wolfenstein with 50 gigs of textures and 10 hours max playtime till finish fits.

Anyways… I don't need 100 hours games if during 99 hours I'll be killing endless respawns. That's a job, not a game.

Ugh! I hate respawns too, unless it is an action game like Diablo or Grim Dawn. Even in those types, I need to be able to "clear" an area. Sacred 2-3 and Amalur got dropped because you couldn't walk 5 steps without monsters popping back in.

This is a thread for me I can revive - I loved all of their games except Bound by flame. It started really well, very immersive, then all what was left was strange companions and repetitive corridor fights for me, so I couldn't finish it.
Also I'm happy to see Im not the only one who liked their games. Also that this is a poll where I can choose all options.

Lets see:

Faery: Legends of Avalon - really cool graphics and faery kind of story, but a bit too dark colors for children I think and it is not for mature players either, so maybe not really many players know about it. I prefer this kind of art desing over JRPG.

Game of Thrones - roleplaying game with dialogue decisions, well writen characters and for me personally awesome european medieval setting. But the skills and armor combination was sort of broken - some of it didn't work together and you didn't know it until it was too late, so maybe the freedom of choice was against enjoyment in this game.

Of Orcs and Men - I really loved the banter of the two characters, the armors collections. Also combination of medieval and non human is like made in heaven for me.

Mars: War Logs - really loved the atmosphere and art design, the characters, not so much the corridors with fast respawning mobs.

Last edited:
I understand that the poll is old and such, but today I'd choose Greedfall.

Now this is interesting.
Spiders and Piranha Bytes are two developers I admire for their ambition and stubbornness (for better or worse), but my relationship with their games is shaky at best.

For Spiders, I love all of their games because of that so-called "French Touch" weirdness. . .
. . . but dislike'em all because of their clunkiness.
So, take it or leave it I guess then :)

Re-reading this thread from almost seven years ago, first I'm struck by how many of these folks no longer seem to post here anymore, and then I also realize that the game I picked back then would still be the one I'd pick today.

Re-reading this thread from almost seven years ago, first I'm struck by how many of these folks no longer seem to post here anymore, and then I also realize that the game I picked back then would still be the one I'd pick today.

In my defense, I only noticed this thread now. That's why I picked a more recent game. Even because Greedfall is the Spiders' game I have more time clocked in.

In my defense, I only noticed this thread now. That's why I picked a more recent game. Even because Greedfall is the Spiders' game I have more time clocked in.

Not sure how, but I also missed this thread until now. I knew it had to be pretty old as soon as I saw the choices since The Technomancer isn't on the list either.

I've only played Game of Thrones, Mars: War Logs, and Greedfall. I've owned Bound by Flame and The Technomancer for years but never got around to playing them for some reason. Hard for me to pick a favorite, but probably War Logs.

I thought GoT was developed by Cyanide.

Like 'nut, I own all the Spiders games but haven't actually played any of them yet. I know I'll like them but there is always something else I want to do first.

Well someone necroed my poll from 2015.

giphy.gif

So yes it doesn't have any new Spider games as options.

Well someone necroed my poll from 2015.

giphy.gif

So yes it doesn't have any new Spider games as options.

I am hypnotized by your GIF. Not usually a GIF fan but I love that one of the mouse! Just awesome.

Technomancer I loved, it was my first experience with Spiders. Still Greedfall is my favorite.

Only played Mars: War Logs (3 times) and enjoyed it every time. Unique and personal. I should try the Technomancer as I loved the setting in Mars: War logs.

Speaking of Cyanide co-creating GoT and Of Orcs and men - they created the action game with werewolves recently and it wasn't that successful aswell - I quite wish they would create a game about werewolves the same way like they created those 2 games - with a story, interesting main characters, collectibles. Maybe the reason why I was interested was 2 different characters with different gameplay - it was popular in certain period of time I think.

Back
Top Bottom