Umbra - Becomes Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PC Gamer Farewell Umbra and Solarfall Games and say hello Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem and Wolcen Studio respectively. This name change has also come with an announcement. The game will be available on Steam Early Access March 24th.

The action-RPG Umbra looked pretty decent when we laid eyes on it last year, and it made enough of an impression to almost double its $225,000 Kickstarter goal. But much has changed since then. The title, for one thing, which is now Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, and the name of the studio making it: formerly Solarfall Games, now Wolcen Studio. And on March 24, it will go live on Steam Early Access.

The Early Access release will contain the "basics" of the game, with large areas of the world open to explore, classless character advancement, and elemental magic effects. It will continue to evolve over the Early Access period (which of course is the whole point of Early Access), beginning with the addition of Apocalyptic Form, a "core combat mechanic" expected to arrive shortly after launch that enables players to "evolve their special abilities and appearance" to match their style of play. Personally, I'd expect more than a new haircut and a nice change of clothes from something called "Apocalyptic Form," but maybe there's more to it than it sounds.
Wolcen released a new teaser to go along with the Lords of Mayhem name change, and it looks pretty sweet. There's nothing about it that's obviously revolutionary, but the eye candy is nice, and that's a good place to start. Until the Early Access version lands, you can find out more about what's coming at umbragame.com-the name may have changed, but URLs are forever-but do note that with the Steam launch looming, preorders through the site are no longer being taken. (The studio said the preorder button will be removed in the near future.)
More information.

Mmm, I thought the name Umbra was a solid brand title. Kind of like Ultima, for example. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is a bit forgettable. We'll see, I guess.

Mmm, I thought the name Umbra was a solid brand title. Kind of like Ultima, for example. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is a bit forgettable. We'll see, I guess.

Agreed. Umbra is a strong word that is easy to pronounce. As basic as it seems, those two features are very important. Wolcen on the other hand means nothing and is confusing to pronounce in English. Wool-sin? Wul-shen?

Anyway, this is also a very tough time to be a new ARPG. The market is extremely crowded with established products like Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and now Grim Dawn. I guess I just don't see what makes...Wolcen...special.

I agree. They took a decent and recognisable name, and replaced it with another generic melange. Odd.

Umbra (sword) is not a good name as it suggests get godlike item early then pwn the game.
Not saying the new one is better, but it's changing is a good thing.

Umbra (sword) is not a good name as it suggests get godlike item early then pwn the game.
Not saying the new one is better, but it's changing is a good thing.

Umbra is the inner part of a shadow cast by a non-point source (as, for example, the deep shadow stage of a lunar eclipse). I could see it being used for the name of a weapon, but that's not its purpose.

Umbra is the inner part of a shadow cast by a non-point source (as, for example, the deep shadow stage of a lunar eclipse). I could see it being used for the name of a weapon, but that's not its purpose.

actually, it is the name of a great icon pack on android (with a shadow cast by a non-point source).

Even more generically, it's just "shade" or "shadow" in Latin. I thought it was pretty well known. It's used in tons of games. It's a great, memorable name for a new series. The replacement, not so much.

Just from the trailer, the aesthetics seem a bit like a cross between Grim Dawn and Torchlight. I've got an ocean of alts planned for Grim Dawn, so unless it's somehow D3 with depth, I don't see myself bothering based on that short video at least.

Just from the trailer, the aesthetics seem a bit like a cross between Grim Dawn and Torchlight. I've got an ocean of alts planned for Grim Dawn, so unless it's somehow D3 with depth, I don't see myself bothering based on that short video at least.

Well that chain lightning in trailer looked awesome. I have been waiting for awesome Chain Lightning since Diablo 1.

Back
Top Bottom