Steam Greenlight - Now Open

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Steam has launched Greenlight, a system for the community to vote on what games should be released on the platform. As CountChocula points out, that means a bunch of RPGs are now vying for attention on Greenlight.
I haven't really had time to look for undiscovered classics but I see Underrail, NEO Scavenger and other promising indies in the list.
More information.

You may want to hold your votes for Underrail. It was uploaded to Steam without Styg's permission (dejan.radisic on Steam).

Coyote: Upvoted Frayed Knights.

I've voted for you Jay!! :)

Thanks for the NEO Scavenger shout-out, Dhruin!

Whether the games get the needed votes or not, it's cool to see Greenlight exposing some lesser known projects to wider audiences (as Menigal illustrates).

Here's hoping many of these projects get their well-deserved thumbs up!

You may want to hold your votes for Underrail. It was uploaded to Steam without Styg's permission (dejan.radisic on Steam).

Coyote: Upvoted Frayed Knights.

Yeah Styg caught that and so there are now currently two entries for it - the real one and the fraudulent one. As per the official site for the game, this is the legitimate entry:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962826

Or, just so you feel more certain follow the link in the news item here:
http://www.underrail.com/

I think there's going to be a discovery problem similar to or worse than kickstarter within a week.

I think there's going to be a discovery problem similar to or worse than kickstarter within a week.

I won't even give it a week.

I've gotten pretty discouraged of late - even some of the stalwart indies are crumbling under the might of Steam. It's basically the golden ticket. Getting on Steam is no guarantee… but it's rapidly becoming the only game in town. So yeah - it's gonna be some really ugly jockeying for position, and then a bunch of people who have no business being there will be putting their own wishlisted games.

I guess it's no worse than the discovery process on the general Internet now.

Oh, and thanks for the upvotes! I don't know if they'll make a difference or not, but it certainly can't hurt.

Last edited:
I won't even give it a week.

I've gotten pretty discouraged of late - even some of the stalwart indies are crumbling under the might of Steam. It's basically the golden ticket. Getting on Steam is no guarantee… but it's rapidly becoming the only game in town. So yeah - it's gonna be some really ugly jockeying for position, and then a bunch of people who have no business being there will be putting their own wishlisted games.

I guess it's no worse than the discovery process on the general Internet now.

Oh, and thanks for the upvotes! I don't know if they'll make a difference or not, but it certainly can't hurt.

Well it certainly is the fault of people like me. The convenience and sense of safety I get by having game stuff in one or two places is really really powerful. I just don't have the brain share comfort to keep up with 30 different places for 30 different games. It's really sad, but there it is.

You've got an advantage with a reasonably sized community like this this building up. Your blog is really *really* important for that. Dunno. Maybe in the future developers will have to become more like bands and go on "tour". Not just to conventions, but local shops or "gigs" of some sort. Honestly the only true cure for loss of discovery is either winning the indie lottery or building real human face time with potential players.

I noticed that on a couple. Arena didn't appear to have been submitted by Bethesda. They might have to check that the legitimate rights holder is the one submitting titles. I think many are people submitting a game that they want to see on Steam.

One thing that annoyed me was that the pages seemed to randomize. I would move to page 2 or page 3 in the list and I would start seeing titles from previous pages, unless there are multiple submissions.

Gave you a vote too Jay.

I noticed that on a couple. Arena didn't appear to have been submitted by Bethesda. They might have to check that the legitimate rights holder is the one submitting titles. I think many are people submitting a game that they want to see on Steam.

One thing that annoyed me was that the pages seemed to randomize. I would move to page 2 or page 3 in the list and I would start seeing titles from previous pages, unless there are multiple submissions.

Gave you a vote too Jay.

In the case of Wizardry 8 they created a private steam profile called "Wizardry" to upload it. I don't think they just misunderstood - though I also don't think they expected to get anything from it other than a prank.

I've noticed this as well, and from what I'm able to gather, there's no way to make the list static or fixed, and I found myself refreshing the page for new titles, which became a bit frustrating.

They're trying to keep it fair (seemingly) by shuffling the ones on the front page. Some stayed there quite a while though and got much higher visit counts than others. I suspect outside traffic is factored in to determine how high up your entry goes. That would make the whole greenlight idea lead to the exact same results as previously, basing inclusion mostly on existing popularity, which is probably exactly what they want.

Back
Top Bottom