Nvidia shield tablet….Interested?

For emulators and general small screen tablet duties it's quite nice. The game streaming requires a pretty substantial investment in some nice wireless hardware to work passably. The battery life sucks. Other than that I love it :) I actually wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who was aware of its limitations.

I kinda figured battery life would be poor but I'm not typically on my tablet more than an hour or 2 a day.

Mostly lunch break, bed time and occasionally when watching tv.

It would be my second tablet anyway I already have an ipad 4.

Surprisingly, I might be interested. I've been thinking about getting a new tablet. I currently own a Nook Color for this purpose and it is feeling slow as death these days and wouldn't mind an upgrade for when lying in bed reading websites. Don't know that I really need a gaming tablet but for $300 (+$40 for the cover) its in a reasonable price point for me. I was looking at Surface Pro but those puppies are expensive.

I will need to research it a little more to decide if I like it but seems like its running a modified Android Jellybean (hopefully giving root access) which is ok with me. As long as battery life is 3 hours or so when using the web and streaming video I think I'd be happy.

For some light gaming (emulators, Bg12, etc ) I would buy an Asus t100. Never saw the use for a tablet for more than that (screen size is a big issue for me), including streaming)

Currently I can't think of a game I'd really like to play on an 8" screen.

The streaming feature looks nice, but when I'm at home where I could actually stream, I don't see a reason not to just play on my PC, where I have a screen with quadruple size and 5.1 sound.

I already have a Google Nexus 7 - and I don't really see the point in streaming games to a tablet screen if the game isn't designed around it. Having to use a wireless controller makes the whole thing sort of unwieldy - and I doubt it would be anything but a show-off gimmick.

I already have a projector in my bedroom - and Steam In-Home streaming works just fine on a laptop if I want to play games in bed.

Nah, not really for me.

I have an old Android Toshiba tablet that cost me like $200 (10"), for what I need to use tablets for (browsing, movies, ebooks and the occasional game) it's still perfectly fine. In my case I wouldn't consider paying more than that for a tablet.

Yes?

Just wondering if anyone else was interested in the nvidia shield tablet?
No.

Yesterday I've said in another thread. You buy a high tech rig. Steam has a feature that allows you to run a power hungry game on it and stream to your old laptop from the previous century.
Sooner or later you'll be able to stream it on tablets.

Why on earth would anyone buy an expensive gaming tablet today? For possible exclusives? Bah. If those were masterpieces worth the cash, they wouldn't be exclusives but gazillion dollars earned multiplatform game bestsellers.

Yes?

No.

Yesterday I've said in another thread. You buy a high tech rig. Steam has a feature that allows you to run a power hungry game on it and stream to your old laptop from the previous century.
Sooner or later you'll be able to stream it on tablets.

Why on earth would anyone buy an expensive gaming tablet today? For possible exclusives? Bah. If those were masterpieces worth the cash, they wouldn't be exclusives but gazillion dollars earned multiplatform game bestsellers.

I agree with most of what your saying. I have a crazy powerful rig, dual titans, 120" projector screen, 7.2 audio all in its own 13x25 foot room. There's no place I know of that can match that gaming expierence.

The problem is it's hard to carry all that around with me. That's where tablets come in. Even laptops can't compete with the portability of the tablet. It's effortless to bring it to lunch, meetings, job sites, bed or even the bathroom. ( which is where I'm typing this actually, sorry too much information.:lol:)

Anyway I'm on the go a lot and having email, web, documents, prints, etc all at my finger tips wherever I am is invaluable and if it has the ability to run games and stream games then that's a nice bonus.

At $400 for the lte version I don't think its expensive at all and will add another nice toy to my collection.

Eh?

When I'm out for a coffee, a beer or something, even if solo, the only "toy" with me is iPhone. And I still don't play games on it, somehow I don't really care for games while "socializing".

I don't use tram, bus, train, taxi or something frequently so can't be sure I wouldn't go for a gaming tablet if I did. Dunno.

But bathroom?!
Puh-lease. I don't even smoke in there. Yes I know it's odd since I smoke just about everywhere, but in the bathroom I don't.

I work alone most of the time so lunch is almost always solo. I much prefer the larger screen of a tablet as opposed to my phone. Especially for typing posts here.

Come on , no reading material for the bathroom?:)

I play dos in the bubble bath, the witcher in the shower and I type posts on the toilet. If there is one place I would smoke it is the bathroom

Haha playing in the bath, that's awesome, I watch movies/tv-series in the tub.

A separate game controller and a small screen? Nah. I'm fine with playing a few games on the ipad sometimes, and i like my 3DS XL, but if i had to involve a separate controller and probably a stand for the screen, then no. Doesnt seem very portable and surely isnt subtle enough to use on a train or whatever, i mean its not like you can use it in your lap (i can't see it anyhow).

I can see how kids would love this thing though.

Back
Top Bottom