Wizardry 6 & 7 - Summary

codename47

Watcher
Looking at Wizardry 6 & 7 after Wizardry 8, I just know that I'm never going to play those games. The interface, game play and graphics are a huge step up in 8.

So I was wondering if someone could sum up what happened in 6 & 7.

From what I've read: you're playing as the party who stole the Cosmic Forge, helped the Dark Savant get the Astral Dominae and then Ascend in the end?

I assume that in the intro to 8, when they mention that far away world where the T'Rang, Umpani and the Dark Savant fight, that's Lost Guardia.

Ugh, it's a lot to take in at once.

I never played W6, but I still consider W7 to be one of the best RPGs I've played (just don't ask me anything about it, this was like in 92 that I played it). All I remember is that it was really good, so do try it if you can.

I'm one of the few weirdos that thinks 7 is superior to 8. I think the graphics have aged quite well personally.

The coolest way to play the triology is to play Wizardry 6,7 & 8 with one party.

Wizardy 8 is the only game in the series that I've finished and I'd easily put it among the top 20 crpgs I've ever played.

That said, I've never been able to get into the earlier Wizardry games. I think Wiz 6&7 are a little harder to appreciate if you didn't play them when they were newer.

I finished 1,2,3 and 8 and played bits and pieces of the others. 1 was my favorite despite it not being nearly the rpg that 8 is.

Wizardy 8 is the only game in the series that I've finished and I'd easily put it among the top 20 crpgs I've ever played.

That said, I've never been able to get into the earlier Wizardry games. I think Wiz 6&7 are a little harder to appreciate if you didn't play them when they were newer.

I'm sure thats true. The smoky veneer of nostalgia can hide a lot of flaws :)

I thought about going back for Wiz7 (not sure how I missed those titles when they came out), but after I heard about the multi-class exploit, I just fired up another Wiz8 run.

I thought about going back for Wiz7 (not sure how I missed those titles when they came out), but after I heard about the multi-class exploit, I just fired up another Wiz8 run.

what exploit? and why would you care, if you don't like it (whatever it is) then don't do it, it's not like it's a multiplayer game or anything

If you change classes, the XP brackets remain the same. So, let's say level 1 is 0-1000XP. You've got your level 20 fighter, getting 10000xp per battle because level 20 takes 200000XP to advance. You switch him over to mage and after 1 battle, he's already about level 4 with all the stat benefits of 4 additional levels.

By using the exploit, it's fairly easy to create a party that can do everything quite well, which I don't particularly like compared to Wiz8 that forces you to make some either/or choices.

Not sure I could properly police myself, and didn't see much benefit to testing my willpower just to play a game that's 20 years old now. I'm perfectly happy playing Wiz8 over and over and over. That's certainly not to say anyone else should avoid Wiz7 just because I worry about my self control, but I do think it's fair to point out the exploit to others so they can make a better-informed decision for themselves.

Still, Wiz 7 is in some ways a less frustrating game. I like them both.

Back
Top Bottom