Intelligence test(s)

Its not a IQ test, but I find this puzzle amusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle

It was, rather. Not that hard, though.

Here's one that I liked a lot. I don't know if it's been posted here before, but here goes anyway.

In the Caucasus Mountains is a village. It has rather traditional morals, which have served the villagers well for hundreds of years. The villagers have abided strictly by them. They also have an extremely strong tradition of deductive reasoning: every villager is a perfect logician.

These rules are as follows:

(1) If any woman in the village is unfaithful to her husband, every man in the village will know about it immediately, except her husband.
(2) If any man in the village finds out that his wife has been unfaithful to him, the following morning he will take her to the village square, and publicly stab her to death.

Once upon a time a missionary arrived in the village. He stayed there for many years, and gradually earned the villagers' respect, as well as a reputation for perfect truthfulness.

However, eventually he was called back to Rome, and he gave the villagers a farewell sermon. He concluded the sermon with this phrase:

"As much as I have grown to love and respect you, to my regret I have to tell you that not all women in this village have been faithful to their husbands."

Question: what happened next in the village?

Last edited:
I don't quite like intelligence tests, because there are som many *different* forms of "intelligence" ...

Plus, those who are quite intelligent in some fields, but are handicapped in others, are imho not treated with/in these tests as they should be (in my case: maths weakness plus language strength).

^Well, then you'll like the test I linked to - no math, all language.

PJ - I know that one, but I'll refrain from answering so others can have their fun. ;)

I got the Bibliophile on that one, Jaz . Apparently there's "nothing I love more than the raw digestion of ideas" and I " spend my time collating the many works I've encountered into a grand enlightened whole."
I only wish... ;)

@ PJ--that one gave me a headache. My conclusion is all the women were stabbed to death, or, alternatively, the missionary was the one to meet his fate in the village square. Unfortunately neither sounds right.

Logically, the only man this statement would be a revelation to, would be the person whose wife was unfaithful. From there, the conclusion is obvious!!

Logically, the only man this statement would be a revelation to, would be the person whose wife was unfaithful. From there, the conclusion is obvious!!

Yes, but what if there was more than one betrayed husband? The missionary said that "not all" it does not state how many women were unfaithfull.

In terms of logic, Not All is translated as- At least One. Any man who knew of none at all, would know his wife was.

@ PJ--that one gave me a headache. My conclusion is all the women were stabbed to death, or, alternatively, the missionary was the one to meet his fate in the village square. Unfortunately neither sounds right.

Oops, I re-read your answer and actually neither of these is correct.

Last edited:
In terms of logic, Not All is translated as- At least One. Any man who knew of none at all, would know his wife was.

But if more than one woman was unfaithful, all men would know about at least one unfaithful woman. You're on the right track, though.

But if most men knew of 2, or, all men knew of 2, then complications arise!!

Just drag them all out and kill them in public, that way you will know FOR SURE that you got the ones cheating.

Actually, just have Bush nuke the site. That way, no more worries. At all. in that village.

sorry, i was grumpy.

D*mn, visionary cheap philosopher a dime a doz.

PJ, I will give your puzzle a shot.

One man shouted,"I know ?? unfaithful ones!"

Those ?? poor bastards will know immediately because they only know ??-1 unfaithfuls, otherwise someone would correct him with ??+1 unfaithful.

No shouting. That's against custom. But you're very, very close to the solution -- re-read the puzzle very carefully, and I think you'll get it.

just like I thought The Scientist
You scored 61% empirical, 28% public, and 32% teaching-oriented
Slavishly devoted to the principle of cause and effect, you never leave an assumption untested.

With the right resources, you can live in a paradise of experiments, happily isolated from the rest of the world.

Some "Scientist" types love the process, while others are driven by the results. The common feature is their vigorous independence. Your fellow scientists will be your only audience, and your harshest critics. But you'll get your accolades spiritually, every time someone says "I wonder how this works?"

I think that test went wrong:
Your Score: The Bibliophile
You scored 24% empirical, 15% public, and 38% teaching-oriented
You are The Bibliophile!
There's nothing you love more than the raw digestion of ideas. You spend your time collating the many works you've encountered into a grand enlightened whole.
Most of the things you observe in the real world become consistent and easy to explain--a hundred different factors all add up. But because you know so many facets of the issues, you can have a hard time explaining them to other people. You may find success in a practical discipline like politics or business, where the results speak for themselves!

Still kinda proud to score 27 on that first test :)

Back
Top Bottom