Bioshock - Review Roundup

Because your chart shows a tendencies to centrifugally compensate higher scores with lower scores, it does not reflect on the trend of scoring games higher and higher.
I looked at change in variance over time for my set, and it's small, but it's there. I'll pull the rest of their database and revisit this when my download limit ticks over at the end of the month.

Yeah, me too. I probably would hang myself after a few weeks because I simply couldn't take all the ignorant publishers, the retarded journalists, and the uncritical players anymore.

Are you calling me uncritical or was that just a general remark? ;) A game is either fun or it isn't and to me personally is doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how linear or not the game progressed. Like Dungeon Siege 2 that I'm playing right now. You might well hate its guts, but it is right for me at this moment. I like my share of open-ended gameplay, but sometimes just killing host after host of enemies and improving your skills is what I want. I'd have thought that DS2 was a lesser game had it come out less linear. All this doesn't make it a bad game.

I looked at change in variance over time for my set, and it's small, but it's there. I'll pull the rest of their database and revisit this when my download limit ticks over at the end of the month.

And of course, you really need confidence limits and p-values to make any claims ... oops, that would be my day job speaking ;)

I'm not sure, but with as many data points as you have for the 360 I have to think it includes a fair number of XBLA games which I don't think should be included. Many of those games were released on other platforms first and have a price point that changes the nature of what is expected in the game.

WRT to the rating system, I'm bothered by it as well. I think that the highest scores should be reserved for genre-defining, classic, unforgettable games. Super Mario, Zelda, etc. will still get a high score when they're reviewed for the Wii - the score won't change despite the low-grade graphics. If Deus Ex suffers from newer graphics outshining it then that's a problem specific to it.

The theory makes sense. Years later the judges for the '76 Olympics admitted doing this for Nadia Comaneci when she got her perfect 10's to make sure her score guaranteed her place over the Russians.

I think one problem is the churn rate. Every year there are new video game players (and therefore reviewers) replacing the older ones. "When I was a child I..understood as a child..but when I became a man I put away childish things." New gamers and reviewers don't only awlays have the save interests or tastes in games as previous ones did. As they get older (like many of us ;) ) either they prefer deeper, more involved games or they quit playing them altogether as kid stuff.

Back
Top Bottom