Gaming with a touch screen netbook?

Raggie

Watchdog
Hi all,

I just bought an iPod Touch and I've really started to dig the touch screen. I have to be in front of the computer at work all day, and I've started having this really nice mental image of myself playing classic RPGs on a couch without mouse and keyboard.

Can anyone with a touch screen netbook tell me if this is feasible? I'm mostly thinking Dosbox, Exult, ScummVM and Infinity Engine games. Are these doable on a touch screen? All comments and suggestions appreciated!

For Old School EOB Style RPG's try Quest from Redshift, It should be fully working for iTouch.

I used to implement TouchScreen Interfaces for POS Retail Applications, Under XP Mouse Sensitivity was a real problem, the Buttons needed to be designed to be very large otherwise it was almost impossible to select items.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have better Touchscreen support but the Hardware is still too expensive.

For Old School EOB Style RPG's try Quest from Redshift, It should be fully working for iTouch.

Thanks, I will!

I've been looking at the HP Touchsmart with Win7 and it's looking very tempting. Anyone has any experience with these?

Got a TM2 several months ago and love it - if you pick up the option with graphics card it can manage quite a range of games - I've been playing Civ V on it recently.

Theres a lot of useful informaiton (programs, tips and so on) on the forum here:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/

I've not had any trouble with mine (apart from the WiFi disapearing from time to time) but I have seen a few complaints.

Thanks for the link.
Are you using the touch screen for gaming? I am mostly interested in playing old games on it. The old DOS games look pretty bad on a big screen.

Depends on the game really - using the pen you can left and right click, with finger only you need to have a game that can be controled with left click only - but there's a lot of games fall into that category - the other big consideration would be having icons that are large enough to use comfortably with a finger (tiny up down buttons next to stats that some RPGs use for instance can be a pain).

The icons being too small will probably not be a problem with DOS games, so I'm not worried. :) Have you tried Dosbox?

Not on the TM2 but I don't expect it'd have any trouble with it

I think I am going to try the TM2 in a store and see how it feels. Thanks a lot, you have been a great help!

Back
Top Bottom