Cryptic Studios - Acquired by Perfect World

Perfect World as in owner of a good bunch of F2P MMOs might be a better description.

Oh no! Neverwinter meets micro-transactions

The screaming has just begun

Since Neverwinter is singleplayer and multiplayer then just like Torchlight it won't have micro-transactions. With how Torchlight came out this might be a good thing since you won't have Atari screwing things up.

Since Neverwinter is singleplayer and multiplayer then just like Torchlight it won't have micro-transactions. With how Torchlight came out this might be a good thing since you won't have Atari screwing things up.

Correction its an OMG game as Cryptic calls it. You must be online and single-player is not the focus. Think in Co-op terms. Not interested in the game as I was its predecessors.

The only good news is Atari might finally lose there licensee for making D&D games finally and neverwinter might not be released now.

As part of an earnings report today, Atari announced it has divested its interest in Champions Online developer Cryptic Studios, calling the development house a "discontinued operation" as of March 31.

Atari will continue to support all current Cryptic products while the company looks for a new owner, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke to Gamasutra on the condition of anonymity.

Development on the Bay Area studio's Neverwinter project will continue as normal for the time being, according to the source.

Read as you will it might be canceled notice the last line. For the time being.

And this-

The big question on a lot of minds is whether or not Neverwinter Online is transitioning with Cryptic, or if Atari plans on taking the IP back and licensing it to a different firm. Furthermore, this also raises interest in what Atari’s next quarter will bring financially, with the removal of Cryptic Studios.

Hopefully a better studio takes the reins and makes a true neverwinter game.

Last edited:
Hopefully a better studio takes the reins and makes a true neverwinter game.

Keep dreaming. We are talking about Atari here, see Daggerdale as example of what they want as DnD games...

Arz, I think you and Spud are saying the same thing.

This may be why I had no response when I inquired about beta testing.

The idea that a F2P Neverwinter Online won't have paid transactions is absurd. How then are they supposed to make money?

ST:O and others I believe were being used to beta Forge, the toolset built into NO.

If those games are divested from Atari how does that effect the games going forward. Does Cryptic Studio become a contractor for Atari for NO? If Atari is in dire straights, which this move seems to indicate, is NO in trouble? Atari would have to sub-lease the license.

How does this affect the lawsuit from Turbine? We can all guess that calling NO an OMG instead of a MMOG is an attempt at a legal move.

--

Another, very like possibility is its just another successful Chinese company trying to get into the American market and made an offer to Atari they can't refuse.

Last edited:
ST:O and others I believe were being used to beta Forge, the toolset built into NO.
QUOTE]

And if Neverwinter were to use the Forge toolset you can kiss goodbye any chance of depth in your games. The Forge is horrid.

Neverwinter is going to make Daggerdale look like a solid gold AAA title. Mark my words!!

I'm going to say it why not let obsidian take the reins again. Despite the hate for NWN2 I still loved it and play mods still. At least it will be a Neverwinter game instead of what Cryptic was making.

Back
Top Bottom