Wasteland 2 - Post-Funding Update #53

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In update 53 for the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter more information is provided on what is in the latest build that is available in Early Access on Steam.

When we pulled the changelist from our source control (since the last update), it was 551 uncurated PAGES of bug fixes, polish and iterated features. This list has been reduced down and can be read in its entirety (but why would you want to do that?!?) here. Some of the main things you’ll notice in this build:

• Huge balance pass across all elements of the game
  • Enemy AI/Enemy Stats/Damage/Weapons/Dropsets/Skill Use
  • Added a mini-map
  • Lots of new optimizations to memory and load times
  • Tons of new UI improvements (visual and functional)
  • New audio added across the board (weapons/enemies/ambient/player events)
  • Large visual effects pass in all levels

Thanks Kristoph.​

More information.

has any of you contributed to the process?

did you post something that got changed?

Sounds like they've done a lot of polishing. I hope they fixed the issues with the canopy.

Well this week's patch broke the game (was expected). I really didn't find it engaging enough to replay everything I did however, and that's sad. I wish I could skip right to the California maps…

anybody know if boss fights made it in the game at all? Remember that massive round robot that attacked the party at the end of the first gameplay demo at the Ag center? I know there was some debate in the forums that was split over if boss fights should even be included in the game or not. Thanks!

I know there was some debate in the forums that was split over if boss fights should even be included in the game or not.

Huh? Can someone explain what this debate was about? Why wouldn't people want to have boss fights in the game?

I could certainly do without boss fights. I wonder why developers all feel they need them? Would you be disappointed without one? I know I wouldn't.

I'd rather have a game end on a high note in terms of story and resolution. I really don't need that final Hollywood over-the-top encounter.

I could certainly do without boss fights. I wonder why developers all feel they need them? Would you be disappointed without one? I know I wouldn't.

I'd rather have a game end on a high note in terms of story and resolution. I really don't need that final Hollywood over-the-top encounter.

True. But the word "Boss" is pretty vague though. I wouldn't want the games to never have unique encounters with things like named characters. It doesn't have to be flashy and over the top though. And I don't want boss mechanics that are different from the rest of the game like DX:HR and Risen, that's just annoying. But to have more epic foes like the dragons in BG2 does add a certain level of fun in my book.

True. But the word "Boss" is pretty vague though. I wouldn't want the games to never have unique encounters with things like named characters. It doesn't have to be flashy and over the top though. And I don't want boss mechanics that are different from the rest of the game like DX:HR and Risen, that's just annoying. But to have more epic foes like the dragons in BG2 does add a certain level of fun in my book.

Named NPCs that are challenging aren't what I would consider "boss fights". To me, the concept of a boss fight is derived from ancient arcade games or other early stuff and they should have stayed there. It's fine for platformers and shoot-em ups - but for games I'm trying to be immersed in, they don't work well.

I agree completely with what you're saying about changing mechanics around to nullify your character strategy. To me, a named NPC that you can destroy with relative ease because you planned your character right would be much more satisfying - but, of course, the story and the resolution also need to be satisfying. But that doesn't have to be about combat - and I never understood why we've kept that stupid tradition for so many years.

Last edited:
And I don't want boss mechanics that are different from the rest of the game like DX:HR and Risen, that's just annoying.
This.
Witcher 2's Kayran fight: bad
Witcher 2's Letho fight: good

I'm glad I've managed to stay away from this game during early access. I think not playing it until the final release version is definitely a good thing in this case.

"Boss" fights in an RPG are to me Baldur's Gate and Fallout. Named individuals who you track down who are backed up by their various cronies. The odd giant robot wouldn't be out of place either though.

Back
Top Bottom