Knights of the Chalice II - Development Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Blue Salamander (HeroicFantasyGames) has posted a public development update on Knights of the Chalice II:
Combat Engine, New Subraces, New Classes, New Class Features

Hello, turn-based RPG fans!

Between questions of health, nutrition, sports and a fridge breaking down on me, in the last few days my attention has constantly been diverted away from the good stuff, which is KotC 2 development.

Nevertheless, here is the promised update with lots of new screenshots and new design pages for your consumption.

Regarding combat, as I mentioned recently, I have finally implemented the most basic actions: moving in combat, taking a five-foot step, ending one's turn, delaying, standard attack, full attack, charge attack and attack of opportunity.

My plan is to continue implementing combat actions one by one, fixing bugs as I go. Today, while preparing this update, I harvested a good number of fresh bugs that I will have to correct first.

After that, I will focus on ranged attacks, opening the inventory in combat, grapple, bull rush, the other combat manoeuvers, the basic spells, ready versus spell, ready to counterspell, using a magic item in combat, using a class or racial power in combat, and using a spell-like ability. Spells, their interface and their graphical implementation will of course be a big part of the job. Afterwards comes the artificial intelligence. […]

New Subraces, new Classes, Skills

Now let's talk a bit about design stuff. I've been thinking that it would not be too hard to create subraces, so I created the design for a whole lot of them, as well as the new Half-Salamander race. You can read about subraces and races in the associated web pages. The Subrace page is brand new. It also provides class recommendations for each subrace.

I have also been designing eight new classes. Most of them are hybrid classes - I did not want to create new spell books or spell systems.

A proper class illustration will be created for each new class. On that subject, I have finally uploaded to the web pages the new class illustrations from the graphic designer Roman. The illustrations include a brand new one for the Ranger, as Roman wanted to create a picture of a higher quality than the previous one.

The new classes are the following (click on the class name to open the corresponding Class web page):

Samurai - a high-BAB combatant, master of the single-sword style
Gladiator - a high-BAB combatant with blinding strike and wide weapon knowledge
Bishop - a medium-BAB cleric benefiting from additional domain powers
Warlock - a low-BAB wizard who can also use psionic powers
Psychic Healer - a low-BAB psionicist who can also use cleric spells
Champion - a high-BAB combatant who has access to cleric spells
Mage Knight - a high-BAB combatant who has access to wizard spells
Storm Warrior - a high-BAB combatant who has access to druid spells

[…]
More information.

Gah, so annoying, why can't he just hire a decent graphics designer, the gameplay in his games are really great, I would go so far as to say that with decent graphics he could become a major indie player and sell lots of copies... he could even go to kickstarter to fund the art development I guess....

Yes, indeed it did. The strongest influence for me is probably Dark Sun. Brilliant game and a must play really for turn based AD&D fans. The graphics are no problem for me at all since the gameplay is so good.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/KOTC_Introduction.htm

Thanks for the update on this, HiddenX, looking forward to hearing more!

I hope the early versions will sell good enough to hire sprite animators and do animated 2D characters to correctly visualize the party, like in the awesome Knights of the Chalice I.

At least some of these classes look more interesting than early D&D. I hope they don't repeat their poor encounter design choices.
That dragon that was almost guaranteed to wipe the party early unless you made the non-intuitive choice of allowing an obviously evil NPC escape, who would reveal the location of a scripted arrow of dragon slaying. If any GM pulled "and all you had to do to avoid the TPK you just had was let the person I made obviously evil just walk away" at a table, I'd have walked. And I did, never played again. Luckily an enthused friend gave me a run on theirs, so it didn't cost me. I'll definitely be awaiting full reviews before paying.

At least some of these classes look more interesting than early D&D. I hope they don't repeat their poor encounter design choices.
That dragon that was almost guaranteed to wipe the party early unless you made the non-intuitive choice of allowing an obviously evil NPC escape, who would reveal the location of a scripted arrow of dragon slaying. If any GM pulled "and all you had to do to avoid the TPK you just had was let the person I made obviously evil just walk away" at a table, I'd have walked. And I did, never played again. Luckily an enthused friend gave me a run on theirs, so it didn't cost me. I'll definitely be awaiting full reviews before paying.
Goodbye then. KotC 1 is strongest in its (unfair) encounter design. It is what sets it apart from other casual RPGs like PoE.

I absolutely loved the first one....so this one is a no brainer for me.

Interesting choice to go with tokens....is this the final look or is it placeholders? It looks like the final look. Still very playable but I will miss that ultima 6 style graphics.

This game should definitely goto kickstarter.

I'm OK with the general distinct style(about the only other remotely similar one is the lamentably shuttered Cryptic Comet stable) he's going for, sure, more traditionally implemented art would be swell---but it can't be understated how much more sprawling a game this is than the original in pretty much every conceivable aspect. Factoring in the modular nature of the engine overhaul, potential for the community to reckon things, etc---it'll all probably work out ultimately. He got a lot of flak for the style of the first game, for reasons I will never understand, so this was probably the best direction to take unless a very ample art budget increase comes about somehow or another.

He can still apply ample polish and sense of style in all aspects of things to escape a "winforms" fate---the character info screen has definitely improved as time has rolled on.

Hahahaha wow these new graphics suck. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original pixel art. As far as I'm concerned he could make new games in the pixel art style forever.

I hope he got over his prima donna behavior because it was sad to see. He made a Dune 2 clone with 10 levels that was more limited than Dune 2 in some ways (!) and then complained about nobody wanting to buy it. Then GOG wanted to sell Knights of the Chalice and not his horrid Dune 2 clone and he complained too.

This is sad because otherwise he is a brilliant designer. Although he does look like he is taking his own sweet time if he is just implementing very basic moves.

Hahahaha wow these new graphics suck. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original pixel art. As far as I'm concerned he could make new games in the pixel art style forever.

I hope he got over his prima donna behavior because it was sad to see. He made a Dune 2 clone with 10 levels that was more limited than Dune 2 in some ways (!) and then complained about nobody wanting to buy it. Then GOG wanted to sell Knights of the Chalice and not his horrid Dune 2 clone and he complained too.

This is sad because otherwise he is a brilliant designer. Although he does look like he is taking his own sweet time if he is just implementing very basic moves.

I don't think the graphics suck, they are just different. I can't say I agree with(as usual) the tone of your posts or the content.

I'm a sucker for computer based boardgames so I don't mind the graphics at all. In fact I prefer them over the first game's.

You can be kobalds in this game? I am making a full party of them and getting revenge on all you bastards that have killed my people by the millions :)

Wonder if he is following some older AD&D modules again? First game was the Slavers series and also Against the Giants.

That dragon that was almost guaranteed to wipe the party early unless you made the non-intuitive choice of allowing an obviously evil NPC escape, who would reveal the location of a scripted arrow of dragon slaying. If any GM pulled "and all you had to do to avoid the TPK you just had was let the person I made obviously evil just walk away" at a table, I'd have walked.

Lol, that is really quite obnoxious. I have to agree, that level of obnoxious is quite a turn off for me. However, I tend to allow games a modicum of emergency walkthrough leeway, not too much for sure, but I wouldn't let this one bout of laughably intrusive nonsense spoil and otherwise fantastic journey. I'd give it a few swear words and a coupla WTFs before eyerolling and getting on with it.

You can be kobalds in this game? I am making a full party of them and getting revenge on all you bastards that have killed my people by the millions :)

No Kobold will ever, ever be better than the God of all Kobolds that is the world reknown Deekin Scalesinger.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger

Star of not one, not two, but three, yes three RPGs. All your Kobolds are belong to him no matter your choices...

He may be going for tablet functionality graphics-wise. This is a similar style to Warhammer Quest.

Can't wait for this one. The only shortcoming of the original game, for me, was the limited number of classes. This one will fix that problem.

And I like the tokens. Can't say the same for the garish colors on the floor, though. :p

Back
Top Bottom