The TV Series discussion thread

Generally I'd agree that most animes are indeed either aimed at teenagers or feature them, but I'd also say that a lot of them can be enjoyed by adults as well.
True, many animes are enjoyable. I watched a lot of anime during a period of being charmed by this phenomenon, hundreds. For all their charm, one wouldn't fail to notice that often stories lack focus and good writing, etc.

Another matter is you can't recommend many anime masterpieces to the general public. I doubt an average person with no special interest would sit through Neon Genesis Evangelion just to see a couple of last episodes. And if he or she would, they could find those episodes absurd or boring, as they mostly appeal to those interested in how their psyche works and mostly on a simple level addressed to teen audience.

I agree with your picks, though, and can add some others, like Nana or the Miyazaki movies. However, Death Note I named because it's quite unique even in terms of movie industry, or at least I've never come across something alike, and it isn't "Japanese" enough to put people off. Monster is more or a mixed bag, the pacing might be mellow for some, but it stands out.

Ok, even I have to admit that the ending to this last episode of GoT (S4E6) was pretty powerful stuff. It didn't even involve a sadistic mass slaughter of key characters, which I appreciate.

That is all.

Yeah, in fact I'd say that was one of my favorite episodes of the series so far.

I have a strong suspicion that someone is going to die in the next episode though. (No, not Tyrion) :)

Clearly, Tyrion is a favorite of the author and, I suspect, the character he personally identifies with the most - so I definitely think you're right.

Now, I don't know anything about what's going to happen, but I think it would be dramatically interesting if Cersei forced Jamie to go against Tyrion's champion (Bronn). If Tyrion intends to fight in person, then a likely opponent might be that asshole knight that testified against him. Also, Jamie could theoretically go against Tyrion as well, and it'd be a fairer fight with just his left hand.

Well, who knows - and I have to say I get a kick out of Westeros justice. So, you clearly killed the king? No problem - you get a 50/50 shot of 100% acquittal anyway.

With all that said, it was a great cliffhanger. The show works a lot better when it's quiet and subdued. The characters are great and the dialogue is interesting.

I loved that episode, too.

Does anybody know the rules for trial by combat? Is it to the death or just... to the win?

Jaime could just lose on purpose, if he's forced to fight against Tyrion's champion, unless the fight is to the death.

Clearly, Tyrion is a favorite of the author and, I suspect, the character he personally identifies with the most - so I definitely think you're right.

Now, I don't know anything about what's going to happen, but I think it would be dramatically interesting if Cersei forced Jamie to go against Tyrion's champion (Bronn). If Tyrion intends to fight in person, then a likely opponent might be that asshole knight that testified against him. Also, Jamie could theoretically go against Tyrion as well, and it'd be a fairer fight with just his left hand.

Well, who knows - and I have to say I get a kick out of Westeros justice. So, you clearly killed the king? No problem - you get a 50/50 shot of 100% acquittal anyway.

With all that said, it was a great cliffhanger. The show works a lot better when it's quiet and subdued. The characters are great and the dialogue is interesting.

I was thinking more along the lines that Jamie might volunteer to fight in Tyrion's place and then end up getting killed. Then you'll have Tyrion feeling even worse than he already does.. as well as a heap of guilt and grief laid upon Tywin Lannister.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie go. He's a vastly different character now compared to when the series started, and I don't care for the direction they've taken him.

anyone notice its cancellation week?

this is the week that all the good or somewhat watchable shows get cancelled to be replaced bad ideas in the Fall which will likely fail, then get replaced by a reality show.

Its funny that Crazy People knocked off The Michael J Fox Show before it barely starts, then it gets cancelled itself. lolz.

Sad to see revolution canceled.

Best Got episode yet IMO, too bad only 1 left this season.

I think Revolution got ridiculous. They should all be dead 3x over if not by their enemies then by each other.

Still, it actually got good, consistent ratings. 1.5 on the nights and 3.0 over 7 days of DVR. It was just too expensive as most Sci Fi is.

It could get a lot better. This is probably the best season based on my reading of the books (so far written). Especially for those who hate House Lannister.

Trial by combat is pretty much to the death (at least so far in the books). You are also allowed to pick your own champion.

Things really come together and resolve in House Lannister shortly. I won't say anymore. But I love what happens to Cersei in book five. ;)

I think Revolution got ridiculous. They should all be dead 3x over if not by their enemies then by each other.

Still, it actually got good, consistent ratings. 1.5 on the nights and 3.0 over 7 days of DVR. It was just too expensive as most Sci Fi is.

I was just telling my friend that the other day when miles almost died AGAIN.

I was still enjoying it though. I didn't care for it too much in the beginning but it grew on me.

That was only the 6th episode, there are 4 more left.

And this is what I get for listening to that same friend.:lol:

However, that is very good news.

I was thinking more along the lines that Jamie might volunteer to fight in Tyrion's place and then end up getting killed. Then you'll have Tyrion feeling even worse than he already does.. as well as a heap of guilt and grief laid upon Tywin Lannister.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie go. He's a vastly different character now compared to when the series started, and I don't care for the direction they've taken him.
I like Jamie, but I don't think he's a very plausible character. Not unlike Tyrion :)

I can't make sense of him casually throwing a child out of a window and joking about it - and then suddenly become this regretful good guy. That arc feels off in a big way.

Yeah, I could definitely see him die - though it's almost too obvious. One thing I will say about this show/story - it does know how to surprise the audience.

anyone notice its cancellation week?

this is the week that all the good or somewhat watchable shows get cancelled to be replaced bad ideas in the Fall which will likely fail, then get replaced by a reality show.

Its funny that Crazy People knocked off The Michael J Fox Show before it barely starts, then it gets cancelled itself. lolz.
It's cancellation week, yes:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/2014-15-season-scorecard/

I'm only sad Almost Human got cancelled. Couldn't care less for almost all other cancelled shows, never planned to watch any of them nor would. In fact I wouldn't mind if they also cancelled crap shows like Once Upon a Time and The Originals.
Almost all means I'm not mad Nikita is on the list, that show wasn't cancelled but ended with a proper story wrap-up.

The confusion about GoT episodes might be about that two-week break that'll be between E7 and E8, AFAIK.

These spoiler tags don't work on tapatalk :(

I like Jamie, but I don't think he's a very plausible character. Not unlike Tyrion :)

I can't make sense of him casually throwing a child out of a window and joking about it - and then suddenly become this regretful good guy. That arc feels off in a big way.

Yeah, I could definitely see him die - though it's almost too obvious. One thing I will say about this show/story - it does know how to surprise the audience.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the change with that character. It's as if the writers suddenly felt they needed another "hero" and tried to change him. I prefered the way he acted in that first season.

I don't see any similarity with Tyrion though. His personality has been consistent throughout the series so far.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the change with that character. It's as if the writers suddenly felt they needed another "hero" and tried to change him. I prefered the way he acted in that first season.

I don't see any similarity with Tyrion though. His personality has been consistent throughout the series so far.

No, Tyrion is a very different kind of character. But, in my opinion, he's way too modern - and simply too appealing a character for the world he's in. He SMACKS of writer favoritism -getting all the best lines and all the best qualities, if you look past his physical appearance. Essentially, he's written as a character everyone is supposed to love, directly counter to Martin's concept of everyone having flaws and dark sides. Ok, so he gets drunk and fucks a lot? Considering how he's been treated - he's more or less angelic, if you ask me. I don't buy him as a real character for a second, but he's entertaining :)

No, Tyrion is a very different kind of character. But, in my opinion, he's way too modern - and simply too appealing a character for the world he's in. He SMACKS of writer favoritism -getting all the best lines and all the best qualities, if you look past his physical appearance. Essentially, he's written as a character everyone is supposed to love, directly counter to Martin's concept of everyone having flaws and dark sides. Ok, so he gets drunk and fucks a lot? Considering how he's been treated - he's more or less angelic, if you ask me. I don't buy him as a real character for a second, but he's entertaining :)

Of course he benefits from writer favoritism.. every show has primary characters that do, and it's usually connected to the level of the actors who are playing those parts. Although I disagree that he gets all the best lines. He may indeed be a little too "good" for that world, but I don't find him implausable in a show that features undead and dragons. :)

Of course he benefits from writer favoritism.. every show has primary characters that do, and it's usually connected to the level of the actors who are playing those parts. Although I disagree that he gets all the best lines. He may indeed be a little too "good" for that world, but I don't find him implausable in a show that features undead and dragons. :)

Oh, the old "it's fantasy - so human beings don't have to behave like human beings" :) Writer favoritism is fine and unavoidable - but if it's not tempered, it kinda loses its power over me. I can deal with heroes and "superhuman" characters if the setting was otherwise established like that, as in LotR or Star Wars. But GoT is trying to come off as a plausible medieval setting - with a bit of magic thrown in. Martin has said as much himself, I believe. But that's ok, we don't have to agree. I like Tyrion, because how could you not? :) But I would have liked him more with a less obvious approach.

Back
Top Bottom