The 25 best horror movies?

P

pibbur

According to this link

I guess there is plenty reasons for disagreement here, for instance "Alien" and "The thing", so ... over to you.

Admittedly I have a reason for posting this: I like horror-movies, but sadly there are too many horror-wannabes.

Wow, swedish on the top...... what a fantastic country..... we're not only best at clothes and furniture... but also horror movies :D

Wow, swedish on the top…… what a fantastic country….. we're not only best at clothes and furniture… but also horror movies :D

And ... oil? *evil laughter!!!!*

I think "Låt den rätte komma in" is a very good horror movie (the swimming pool scene, oh my), and with a little more depth than your usual hack and slash flick. Wouldn't put it on top, but I would definitely include it in my top 25 list.

Am I the only one who didn't view Carrie as a horror movie? It was a horror movie for what… five minutes? Ten?

Übereil

Yes, you are the only one.

Actually, I've only seen the last part of the movie so…

And Stephen King is in my eyes an extremely good narrator, but he's more horror-light compared to authors like Clive Barker and my all time favourite Peter Straub.

Only horror movie I've ever really liked for it's horror is Event Horizon.

I'm not really counting the comedy/horror movies like Shaun of the Dead and Army of Darkness though ( both great movies ).

I found both the Thing and the first Alien movie pleasantly scary. Same with the original Amityville Horror film. And surprisingly also a very recent movie: "Drag me to Hell".

Event Horizon was ok - not that scary in my Eye. Been a while since I Saw it so, I may be wrong.

One movie on the list, Let the right one in wasn't a horror movie for me. I actually found it rather boring. I know it's a deep story and many critics will love it for the way it builds up, but when watch a movie in the hope of scary, shocking and thrilling moments… leave it.

EDIT:
Oh, and IMO Cannibal Holocaust should be banned. Forever. Killing real animals on-screen to make a "real" movie and catch money for that? Sorry, but they deserve to be in jail for that.

I really liked Paranormal Activity 1 and 2. They are better than Blair Witch Project as far as I concern.

Beyond that I tend to watch a lot of japanese horror.

I don't think of Carrie as horror, either, but I can see where that opinion comes from. King doesn't really go out of his way (From my limited reading of his work) to scare you, he uses your own mind against you but constructs it within reality. The Lawnmower Man is creepy because you can imagine it happening, Carrie is "scary" because it doesn't seem that far fetched and so on.

I still think The Thing is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. I still remember a good number of the scenes and just how freaky it was.

I loved The Thing because it was actually rather faithful to Campbell's story, and I loved Alien… I liked Event Horizon… the 50's Hammer films really scared me when I was a kid, and I ABSOLUTELY loved an obscure French TV flick based on a story of George Langelaan. It was called 'Le Collectionneur de Cerveaux', but the movie has never been shown again after the early 80s, and there's no video or DVD version of it. If you look hard enoug for it (or actress Claude Jade) on Youtube, you may discover it, however, in horrible quality :). This flick scared the heck out of me when I was not quite a kid anymore. Ah yes, and I loved 'La Noche del terror ciego' from 1971.

I just cannot bring myself to watch modern day horror movies… I'm too old for that I guess :D.

Last edited:
For me, the more "Hollywood" a horror flick appears to me, the less it affects me. Sets are set up right, light is perfect, background music do the classic routine, you have famous actors delivering lines in order, the story builds up like a western movie always builds up etc.

There are of course movies where the fact that they were actuallly produced is kind of scary. Even more when you find well known actors in them. Admittedly personal preferences apply here, but to me "A sound of thunder" is a brilliant example. Another one is the "Dungeons and Dragons" film, in which Jeremy Iron's performance is … interesting. And of course several movies created by Uwe Boll.

Oh oh, I love trashy movies - D&D was pretty trashy and thus, cool... the same goes for some of Dr. Uwe's flicks (kinda modern day Ed Wood). They can't get any trashier than 'Metalstorm - the Destuction of Jared Syn', however, which is why I love it.

But actually I just forgot to mention that I like several of the Hellraiser movies when it comes to horror.

I wasn't much for the first D&D, but I thought the 2nd was more fun. It was more of a fanfest and really had a lot more iconic D&D stuff in it.

I wasn't much for the first D&D, but I thought the 2nd was more fun. It was more of a fanfest and really had a lot more iconic D&D stuff in it.

Lux <3 She made the film worth watching :p I do agree, though, the second film was miles better.

Back
Top Bottom