Memorable game deaths...

Jaz

Play nice.©
It's a fact: electronic gamers die a virtual death rather often, no matter how great their virtual or real life skills. Most of the time, virtual death annoys me, sometimes I stop caring (depending on how often I die in a particular scene)... and sometimes I have fond memories of a virtual death (not necessarily my own) because it was weird, impressive and/or humorous.

Did you have memorable virtual death experiences? Tell us about them!

Falling from incredible hights in Gothic, hearing the "aaaahhh" sound as you land and die instantly.

Get the acrobatics skill and avoid that problem!! :)

Storming the beach in Medal of Honor Allied Assault ... and dying, dying, dying ... that was one of those overwhelming moments in gaming ...

The king of all computer game deaths must be NetHack. So many ways to go, and just when you started to think you were on top of it... Google YASD NetHack to find lots of 'em.

Unfortunately, my list of humorous (and unintended) online game teammate kills is far longer than my humorous death list.. but still death is death.

One notable incident I think I jotted down elsewhere: When I was a beta core tester for Red Orchestra in its mod stage, a cinematic test session was scheduled: all testers - core or gameplay - were supposed to play in staged battles so one of the guys could make screenies and get footage for a trailer.
I was on a German fireteam for this session, armed with a K98, and standing behind a fellow rifleman and a sergeant with an MP40 (who was my 'real life' clan leader at the time). Our trailer director - who was dressed up as a German as well - had taken position in a bush near a Russian bunker, giving orders. At first he directed the German team to shoot a few volleys in the air so he could take close-ups, then he ordered the Russian team to throw a few grenades, and so on. Finally he ordered the Russians to leave the bunker in panic, and gave the order for a 'real' battle, i.e., we were supposed to do a shoot-out with each other.
It was a great scene, but far too short to make the trailer - my first shot hit our hidden director, 'killing' him instantly.
One second of on-air silence. Then:
Crowfield (<-- me) : "Oops. I shot the director."
Wolfsglen (<-- fellow rifleman): "That means no Oscar for him, then."

The little TKing affair had a follow-up. For the next photo shoot, our director told my clan leader that he would lie down in the grass in front of him to take a few pics from that perspective.
Clan leader: "If you don't mind me tripping over your legs."
Director: "Anything, as long as you don't pull a Crowfield on me."
The clan leader whipped out his MP40 and shot the director 'dead'. Point-blank. To defend his clan's honor...
I brought inadvertent death to yet another clan member (different game, different clan) during a training round of Battlefield 1942. I was driving a Jeep along a lonely mountain path and suddenly saw my teammate jog along the road - there was no flag in sight. Because I am basically a nice person, I stopped to give her a ride. Her avatar entered, I pressed the 'forward' key, slipped, catapulted my keyboard to the ground and crashed the Jeep full-force into the mountainside. My teammate jumped off to save her life... and was buried under the car. RIP.
BF 1942 was good for spectacular death scenes, anyway... once I shot down a plane and was subsequently crushed by the enemy pilot who didn't get his chute to open: Yaaaaaaaaaa-splat. And I don't remember just how often I died while dropping off an overcrowded fighter's wings while over the Channel...
Another game: Counterstrike. My teammate and I (CTs) were down to very few hitpoints, so we both decided to hide under the stairs. We both tried to cram our bodies into the niche at the same time, and got stuck in a... um... very compromising position. Just then the last remaining T appeared, saw us - and the player nearly fell off his chair laughing. °-° His terrorist didn't survive this, as we both opened fire on him...

I just remember only one most : And that wasn't my own death. It was the death of an NPC, so to say.

I had just been blown up; my X-Wing was exploding in space. I watched it from a short distance (emergency exit is a good thing :D ).

The TIE Fighter, that had blown me up seemingly decided to take a closer look whether I was *really* dead, and flew right into the explosion cloud.

Of course it blew up, too.

Playing the finals of a very important Homeworld tourney I had used a favorite technique and "salvaged"(which means I stole) several of my last opponents ships, one of which was his carrier. He was literally left with not much more than his mothership, a resource collector I had'nt bothered to salvage yet, and a handful of fighters....which I knew he would use to kamikaze into my best ships. It would be his last gasp attempt.....I had him totally by the nads. I casually arranged a fleet of frigates, destroyers, and a carrier(his old carrier of course hehehe) full of strike craft inside. As my massive fleet strolled in for the kill, he sent a strikecraft after my probe, which he had just noticed.....it had been giving me tons of info. So at that point my carrier fleet is about half way across the map nearing his position. Thinking he might possibly have a few strikecraft docked in the mothership, I sent another probe to avoid any minor annoying surprises. At this point I should mention an exploit banned from the tourney called probe bombing. You can build the very cheap probe, send it to a target and and scuttle the probe in flight. The resulting explosion is absolutely jaw dropping. The tiny probe can wipe out half a fleet(I assume from an anti-matter breach).....which is why it is frowned upon. Back to the action. As my probe left the mothership and was nearing my carrier fleet, I swapped to the view from the probe to proudly observe my fleet as the probe whizzed overhead.....can you guess what happened at that moment? An accidental scuttle of the probe destroyed my entire carrier fleet. All the hard work gone up in smoke. We were back even as though the match was just starting. Had I have destroyed or salvaged his last resource collector, he would not have any way to build more ships. Since it was late into the match, much of the resources were already harvested and luckily I still had enough cash to build a quick squadron of strikecraft, eliminated his resourcer, and kamikazed everything I had into his mothership....which barely destroyed his mothership and won the match. The LAST strikecraft did it. If not, it would have been forever chasing his mothership with mine to get close enough for small arms fire to finish him off.

Observers later commented that I had done it on purpose, knowing I had enough ships to kamikaze the mothership and take it out. I hope they still believe that LMAO.

Aside from the aforementioned Homeworld "brilliant" play, there is one moment in gaming I shall never ever EVER forget......in Gothic 2.

It was my first time(I think) to ever play G2, so naturally I knew nothing about the game at all. I had left Xardas' tower, nearly got killed by the first goblin, and decided to venture around instead of following the path. I wound up finding Lester and went to the back of that area and spotted the cave. Having nearly died taking on a young wolf, and barely defeating a giant rat, I stood near the entrance to the cave watching the giant rats inside. I was trying to figure out how to draw them out one at a time. I held my trusty heavy branch and inched forward, knees shaking, trying to draw out the first giant rat. I finally got ONE to spot me and come after me...happy happy joy joy! I backed away from the cave entrance to avoid having the others join in. I braced myself for the impending epic battle, and at that moment two lizards fell from the cliff above, stood before me...........let out a terrible roar......................and dropped dead. I was so shaken it took me a few seconds to realize where the giant rat was. He was dining on the lizards lol. I will never forget the stark terror the lizards gave me.

I had done it on purpose
That's brilliant indeed :lol:.

two lizards fell from the cliff above, stood before me...........let out a terrible roar......................and dropped dead.
rotfl.gif

In TOEE, I recently saw two slimes dropping from somewhere above - both dead, too ! They must've hit the ground so hard they were dead at the spot. Sadly I had the reload the game later because I couldn't defeat the Zombies, then ... :rolleyes:

In Homeworld, I never played against an uman opponent, but always used that "harvesting" (read : stealing) technique with opponents craft as well. :D

Stealing unguarded harvesters is quite easy, at least against the AI, and that can be quite a plus to have some more ressource collectors ... ;)

Some time ago, in one of my former CoD clans, we were busy with a 6v6 official Clanbase match deciding the first and second places in the league -- we were rather good at that point, spending hours and hours per day playing CoD -- and we were winning. At one round, we decided to hole up in a bunker -- we were playing Brecourt -- and wait till we would see an enemy. We got 1 scout, who was to find the enemy and lure him/them to us. And so we waited. It was all silent on TS, and then we heard the scout reporting.

"I can see them, I think. Can't see their colors, but I saw a weapon pointing trough the wall. I'm gonna throw a nade, see whether he will die or follow me..."

Two seconds later the five of us saw a grenade rolling inside. The last thing I heard before dying was my squad leader, saying only 1 word trough TS.

"crap..."

God I loved that moment.

I remember back on climing the mountaints near the bandits lair in Gothic 2. Then sudenly faling out of the map, never landing, sreeming all the way.

This wasnt an actual death though, i never realy died... =p

Exploding and reloading in the base under the cathedral because some super mutant rolled a critical hit. I hate turn-based RPGs.

THIS POST CONTAINS A SPOILER FOR PLANESCAPE: TORMENT

Not that it really counts as dying, but I loved the fact that you had to kill yourself to progress in the tomb of the Nameless One. Just one of the things I loved in that game, in fact.

Hmmm... talking of non-final game deaths: I also liked Elliott's reappearance in JA 2 (after Deidranna shot him). I thought the hole in his forehead was inherently funny.

At Gothic 3 i was shooting a group of wildboargs from a hill with arrows, where they couldn't catch me. Just when i was so proud of myself and said, nee nee, you can't get me, the ripperbeast got me from behind. (4 hours of playing without saving)

Oh, i allmost forgot to mention, that i have a brand new keyboard now...

The most memorable for me personally was in Wizardry I Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, when my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I cleared out lvl 8 without much of a problem one night, and decided "OK, we are sooo close to the bottom. Lets go to lvl 9. Whoo Whoo !! ". and the second we landed on lvl 9 our entire party, sans one character, was slaughtered by ninjas. Ive always vowed that someday I was going to avenge that loss !!

Okay, so here's my 5 cents:

This happened while I was playing F.E.A.R. -- SP, in case you were wondering. I was walking inside a building with rather tight corridors, so I opted for using the shotgun. I got to a corner with a left turn and leaned to peek out. I saw an enemy soldier, who started heading for cover (behind the wall to my left) immediately. I was so surprised that even though I thought the soldier was a bit far, I fired my shotgun. BANG! Lots of debris and smoke everywhere. So I pulled back to reload and to avoid getting shot in the face through the smoke. Then, pondering whether I had hit, I peeked out again, just as the dust began to settle. I waited and kept my eyes and ears peeled. And then I had this hilarious moment: all of a sudden I realised I'd hit the enemy soldier, for I could see a HEAD rolling out from behind the cover... :)

I was particularly amazed and amused by this, because it was not scripted in any way: I later figured that I must have shot the guy in the neck, blowing his head off, which -- according to the laws of physics in the game - must have hit the wall and then started rolling back, towards the corridor that I could see onto.

Which reminds me that I should probably check out the expansion.

Back
Top Bottom