What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Uh-oh. Saw 'Ultramarines' last night, the Warhammer 40k movie.
Now I love my WH40k, but that movie just wasn't good. If you're not familiar with the premises, steer clear of it. If you are, watch and, um, wonder.
Animation is … decent, at least in some scenes, but not if you compare it to current animated children's TV series. Most game cutscenes are better. Perhaps they should have aimed for a somewhat more stylized look to go along with the wooden animation.Voice acting is, er, decent, but it's hardly a fault of the actors (more of the script). The story is uninspired and predictable, and they did a better job of making the Marines likable in some of the novels.
Too bad. I didn't even know there was a movie like this before yesterday, and now I'm a bit sad that it wasn't better.

Last edited:
Oh no, Jaz. Say it isnt so!

I was following this one for a while, figured I'd catch it eventually. Looked quite promising. It must be available online by now, I'm going to try and track it down and see for myself..

Yes, please see for yourself. Perhaps you'll like it ... I hope so. I'm still somewhat disappointed, but perhaps it was just me and last night was just a bad time to watch it :/.

Watched it online, and thought it was okay. Nothing like the epic I was expecting tho, that's for sure. I thought it was going to be the tale of this particular chapter's creation, or some grand historic battle or something - instead it was just a relatively short mission featuring the Ultramarines. Like something you'd get in a collection of short stories. So yeah, in that respect it was a bit of a letdown.

The graphics could have indeed been better, it was pretty dated looking. I can safely say that the cutscenes in the Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War rts games are way better. I liked some of the areas, for instance the inside of the battle barge chapel thing was particularly well detailed and vast looking. The fight scenes were pretty good, tho you'd think the veteran Chaplain would have swung into battle a little more than he did. I dont think the astarte's power armor was represented well at times, either in motion or sound. Looked fairly decent tho. The dialogue was typical cheesy space marine jingoism that we know and love - tho doesnt it seem to sound so much better when playing out in your head?

Not a terrible film, but not really that good. Had some fun w/ it, I think if you like WH40K you should check it out. Just go into it expecting an Ultramarines Bedtime Story...

Bought a bunch of bargain bin DVDs. Ridley Scott's Robin Hood was a stinking piece of manure. That man is really hit and miss for me, and I should avoid anything "epic" in a historical setting (disliked Gladiator, hated Kingdom of Heaven and the aforementioned Robin Hood).

On a more positive note I added
Corto Maltese: La cour secrète des Arcanes
to my collection and re-watched Watchmen .

Last edited:
Saw X-Men: First Class last night.

I originally had no desire to see it, and the only reason I went was because my GF picked it. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. It was *much* better than any of the other X-Men movies, imo, and I quite enjoyed it.

I've just watched The King's Speech on DVD. What a great movie - it comes highly
recommendable by me. Colin Firth plays King George VI to perfection; the man who didn't want to be king, but became it anyway. And his speeches, as I've heard them in various tv-series and periode pieces films (movies), always had great tone of solemnity.
Little did I know that it was because he stuttered and stammered - and that Logue, Lionel, taught him how to pause --- to make this effect in his speech. Turning a handicap into a strength it is.

Watched Cowboys and Aliens with the girls. They liked it. i had to turn of my brains to find it acceptable and to ignore the inconsistencies and illogic of what happened.
The action was OK though.
I should have vetoed it to watch the apes.

I just watched Priest and I found it VERY entertaining. LOVED it actually. Prolly due to the fact that I love Bellamy AND Urban. I think it's a game too? I may have to look for it if that is the case. I know it was Graphic Novel.

I just watched Battleship Yamato remake with real actors , it is the most stupid movie i have ever watched by far but since i loved the series (star blazers in English) when i was 9 i recommend it to all 9 year olds

GFX is one of the best btw

Saw Green Lantern last night.

Meh.. not terrible, but I can't see anyone other than hardcore DC Comics fans really enjoying it. The special effects were decent, but I'm not a fan of Ryan Renolds, and his acting was sub-par as usual. Even Tim Robbins, who is generally a great actor imo, was sub-par in this film.

Cowboys and Aliens

I knew I shouldn't have bothered. I wouldn't call it terrible, but incredibly redundant and silly without the humor to support it.

Tangled ? By Disney ? I saw it last year and found it quite good. :)
The movie is called "Rapunzel - Neu verfönt" here in Germany.

This is a word game : It means "new[ly] hair-dried", but the sounding of it sounds a bit like "new[ly] made into a film/movie" which would be in German "Neu verfilmt".

I found the death of the witch being very close to how the emperor of star wars died. ;)

I just watched Priest and I found it VERY entertaining. LOVED it actually. Prolly due to the fact that I love Bellamy AND Urban. I think it's a game too? I may have to look for it if that is the case. I know it was Graphic Novel.

I found it surprisingly entertaining. Flat characters with no development at all, but at least the flick was pretty short of moved fast. The actors were also okay. The high production values didn't hurt either.

Started looking at Grey's Anatomy. Down to season 3 so far and it's really good. Sure it does have the stupid romances, and some useless characters but overall it's great.

PS : I am not gay, but Dr Burke is hot xD

Back
Top Bottom