Toolsets, Level Editors, Construction Sets, SDK's etc etc.

Lucky Day

Daywatch
For my Tech Writing class I've had to build a webpage. I did it on the NWN Toolset and have it virtually finished now. The Prof realized I didn't need to do much research so he's asked me to write a history of Toolsets

*sigh*

He was a big Quake level making guy.

I know very little about the level editors for the big FPS's or any other type of game other than RPG. Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life, Call of Duty, etc.

Can anyone point in the right direction on some history of these and the most popular ones of their time?

Are there others I should know about?

For starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_design
Have a look at the external links, especially the 'History...' ones. Your prof wouldn't have a link or two there, would he?

The only level editor I ever fooled around with was RotTEd. for Rise of the Triad. Man, that was level design made easy... but it had to be. After all, RotT came with RandRotT (which made random level packs on the spot).
Level editors for later games were too technical for my taste. I just can't work with four windows at the same time. I need WYSIWYG tools, or I'm lost... :D

If you can't do RPGs, might I suggest something different from your run-of-the-mill FPS...

Have you considered Thief?

There's an example of what can be done with a recalcitrant, unsupported editor when placed in the hands of highly motivated fans. It's probably the game with the most prolific volume of fan mods outside the usual high-visibility shooters or NWN. Plus the efforts fans had to go through to get both of the editors released, so there are elements of drama and subterfuge.

You could write a whole paper on the history of T2X alone -- that being the fan-made sequel to Thief 2.

Oh, and please, please, please don't call them "SDK"s. I've made a career of writing actual SDKs. Calling a game editor an "SDK" is like calling Doom an "RPG". Allegro, Ogre, and SDL are SDKs. I don't want to write rant on that subject, or people might confuse me with Moriendor.

I didn't see Level Design but I did see Level editor. That's a much better link, ty.

Sorry on the SDK thing. Its going to be an important topic when I write on Quake and Unreal. Thief is a good thought. thanks.

UnrealEd. Just love it, easy to start, hard to master. Really can do hell and a half there, and there are loads of avaliable tutorials too. (like for most i guess really) but UnrealEd is really one capable thing once you get used to it really, very powerful for complete editing too, with possible import of models, animations and other things you might want to customise or use.

The biggest problem is though that after a while if and when you get really detailed in the level editing any other windows that render window becomes obsolete to use due to too much stuff being packed in one space to really have full control - but its still good for collision movement / placement and general idea of structure :)

Back
Top Bottom