Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress - Expansion Announced

You don't see PEGI ratings on USA boxes; you get the ESRB rating.
My point was that I bought the Import. :p

BTW - Hi, Alrik! :)

Yes, okay, I understood it now. ;)

And "hi" back ! ;)
How's the Chaos going on ?

In the US Steam games are the same or cheaper than retail, often come with more IN GAME content, and so on.

Likewise, the sales are HUGE here, with games costing $5 on Steam when the retail could be $20 or $30 ...

Also, Impukse didn't die at the hands of Steam (didn't die at all actually), it is more that Elemental was a disaster due to the resource pull of the very profitable Impulse.

D2D is very successful, with 20 something percent of market, GamersGate doing well, and so on ...

In the US Steam games are the same or cheaper than retail, often come with more IN GAME content, and so on.

But given their EU prices - what do you predict will happen once market dominance is fully established?

Since they're the only major DD with that kind of EU pricing - it tells me they're special. Special in their disposition towards fair pricing.

Why people keep praising them for funding college students coming up with tiny but neat ideas and making tiny games out of them - I don't know. They can't even release episode segments of their ancient game on time.

LFD1+2? Same engine and boring levels. Switching out a few assets and making a "new" game twice. Talk about milking the cow.

Anyway, that's a separate issue I have with Valve - though it all ties into their mindset.

Likewise, the sales are HUGE here, with games costing $5 on Steam when the retail could be $20 or $30 …

That's the same with all sales at all places. AFAIK, all major sites have sales daily or weekly. Just recently, GTAIV complete was for sale at D2D cheaper than what Steam had for sale yesterday. I'm sure that goes both ways, but I see sales as something absolutely non-exclusive to Steam.

Also, Impukse didn't die at the hands of Steam (didn't die at all actually), it is more that Elemental was a disaster due to the resource pull of the very profitable Impulse.

I didn't say it died or that it died because of Steam. I said it didn't make an impact that was significant enough to cause trouble for Steam as a future market dominator.

D2D is very successful, with 20 something percent of market, GamersGate doing well, and so on …

Why do you keep talking about the present?

If you don't think Steam is headed where I think it is, then we just disagree and that's no problem.

Likewise, the sales are HUGE here, with games costing $5 on Steam when the retail could be $20 or $30 …

Not really. I save a ton of money buying my games on amazon rather than Steam. Amazon discounts EVERY pre-order, which Valve does not. Amazon gives me gift certificates with most of my pre-orders, which Steam certainly does not. Amazon gets rid of old inventory with massive sales and cutbacks, just like Steam has. Amazon now has 99cent release day shipping, or free shipping if you can wait a while (or free release day shipping for prime members like me).

For example I got Portal 2 for $34.99 delivered on release day, saving me $10 off the Steam price. I got Dragon Age 2: Signature Edition for $49.99 with a $10 amazon gift card, making it effectively $39.99, and it came with the Exiled Prince DLC and soundtrack while the Steam version did not. I got Crysis 2 for $44.99 because I pre-ordered when that was the price, while the Steam version has been $59.99 since it was up for purchase.

The reason people think Steam is cheap is because the media tell them it is.

Well, steam has some insane offers for older games. I got the complete Civ 4 for $9.99 for example.

Well, steam has some insane offers for older games. I got the complete Civ 4 for $9.99 for example.

So does amazon, they're just not made a big deal of because they're not highlighted on a game client you are probably using anyway. I routinely get batches of old games brand new for a few bucks a piece, as I mentioned in the above post.

I am sure Steam has some great deals amazon can't match at that time though, certainly. The opposite can also be said as well though.

But given their EU prices - what do you predict will happen once market dominance is fully established?

I think that's an interesting question.

Will others also begin using the same pricing ?

The reason people think Steam is cheap is because the media tell them it is.

God, I wish people would stop generalising about Steam. Let me check these awesome prices on Amazon...oh, wait! They don't ship to me.

I don't think Steam is a cheap option because the media tells me so. For me, it often is cheaper. I appreciate you're talking about your particular circumstances and this isn't always the case but don't lump me in with brainwashed morons because your experience isn't the same.

God, I wish people would stop generalising about Steam. Let me check these awesome prices on Amazon…oh, wait! They don't ship to me.

I don't think Steam is a cheap option because the media tells me so. For me, it often is cheaper. I appreciate you're talking about your particular circumstances and this isn't always the case but don't lump me in with brainwashed morons because your experience isn't the same.

And yet so many people on the Steam boards complain endlessly that Australia is getting ripped off by Steam prices. So... it seems to be a perspective thing.

In any case yes, I was speaking about my personal situation which stands opposed to the "internet norm" that considers Steam to be super cheap.

Back
Top Bottom