Gothic 2 Gold - Direct3D11 Alpha Version

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Staff member Fluent posted a new video on his YouTube channel with a preview of the DirectX 11 mod for Gothic 2. Don't forget to also read his retrospective article.

In this video, we take a quick spin of an alpha version of Direct3D11. This is a project by a modder who has taken Gothic 2 and updated it to modern standards by making it run in DirectX11.

It's a very ambitious project, and right now some work has been done, but there's a lot still left to do. The potential for graphical updates like those seen in other DirectX11 games is very high, and the game, which already looks beautiful, can be beautified to an even higher level!

Here is the forum post that has the English version of the description of this mod. You can read more about it and follow the project more closely here.
More information.

I just tried it, some of the things look really nice, especially HBAO (and I get better performance with it than when using the default DirectX7 renderer on Windows 8.1) but I seem to have a problem which also exists in the vanilla game.

There's something wrong with the mouse controls. It's not related to the zMouseRotationScale value in the ini file, increasing it only changes the overall mouse sensitivity, but my issue is the game sometimes ignores my mouse input.

For example, I walk forward, turn left with my mouse, all is fine, then I move my mouse to the right and nothing happens. Only after moving my mouse for a longer distance, almost falling off the desk ;) the movement is restored. It forces me to use Q and E keys to turn around almost exclusively and that's kind of annoying.

I tested the game on both Windows 8.1 and XP machines and the problem persists, in both the vanilla version and this DX11 alpha. Any ideas what is wrong? All I can find with Google is zMouseRotationScale tips...

Oddly, I don't remember such problems in vanilla game.
Also I never touched any ini files. I can install G2 back to test it as I never played it on this now half year old machine, maybe the game doesn't go smoothly on new hardware?

Any one here that bought gothic 2 on steam?
Seems a lot of trouble to get it running on a modern system and i wonder if some of you have that same problem.

No sorry, I have the old disc version that I'll never throw away like I did with most of other games (although it's so old I'm not sure it'd install today and never tried it on win 7, IIRC it contains securom DRM) and have another on GOG.

I have Gothic 2 on both steam and GOG. Played both versions. No problems with either. But since the original art work was so good IMO, I never bothered upgrading beyond vanilla. Current rig is almost 2 years old. Good job Fluent. Now when I replay this in a couple years it will be brand new.

I also have Gothic 2: Gold on Steam and haven't had many problems. I do recall having to do something-or-other to get the game to start, maybe disabling DEP Protection, can't remember. But it works great now with no issues, other than not being fully optimized for modern hardware. I still get 30-60 FPS most of the time and the game is very much playable (and fun! :) ).

There are many suggestions of features to add to this project, if you go here you can read many of the suggestions that people have to add to the new renderer. Very exciting stuff!

I hope that when it's all said and done, the end product will be fully optimized to handle modern hardware. It's looking good so far, so this is a project to keep an eye on.

G1 & G2 are still a couple of the best RPGs of all time, in my estimation. Absolutely love the Gothic world. I will be following this project closely.

Ok, guess i should buy it from steam then. I cant seem to find my boxed version ..
Wonder i much time will pass before the direct3d alpha turns into beta +

Not sure, ikben. Hopefully it speeds up a bit as more people try it and report bugs, etc. The modder behind this seems very motivated to make this happen, so we should all support him and leave a 'thank you' at the very least for this project.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but so much potential! It's going to be amazing when it's done. :)

Oh my gosh! The modder who made this mod just got back to me, and apparently there is a much, much newer version of this mod created! He gave me the download link and I am setting it up as we speak! So, within the day, I should be able to post a new video showing the much newer version with all the tweaks enabled.

Best of all, he had this to say about the current build:

It has many new features and is a huge performance-improvement over the original Gothic 2, even with enabled features.

Can you say, 'excitement'?! Hehe. Will post the new video when it's ready! :)

Oh my gosh! The modder who made this mod just got back to me, and apparently there is a much, much newer version of this mod created! He gave me the download link and I am setting it up as we speak! So, within the day, I should be able to post a new video showing the much newer version with all the tweaks enabled.

Best of all, he had this to say about the current build:

Can you say, 'excitement'?! Hehe. Will post the new video when it's ready! :)

Great news !
Keeps the updates coming.

Definetly keep those updates up.
I have so many games to play and replay already, but if this was already made, I'd have put everything aside just for this "version" of G2.
If only someone started something similar with Anachronox…

A pox on you Fluent.

I have a backlog a mile long and now I have to go back and replay G2.;)

Just wait! This video is already outdated. I have a fresh, new version I'm testing, as well as an article penned. Let's just say, the game looks better than ever, and I can't wait to finish the video and post it for you guys!

Give me a day or so. ;)

How about a link to the new version as well!! :)

Normal mapping on a blocky landscape!? Still, it definitely looks far better - especially that water! Plus, with it using DX11 my 3D Vision should kick in.

I haven't played G2 in... jeez... ten years? Fifteen?? But I remember that area just fine. They talk about hub locations in games but that tavern was REALLY a hub - look at all the roads shooting out of it just like spokes from the hub of a wheel!

Just wait! This video is already outdated. I have a fresh, new version I'm testing, as well as an article penned. Let's just say, the game looks better than ever, and I can't wait to finish the video and post it for you guys!

Give me a day or so. ;)

Take your time and make it amazing ;)

Back
Top Bottom