Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Games You Won't Uninstall

Aubrielle

Noveliste
RPS has given us a nice little op-ed about games we just won't part with. The author has listed Sunless Sea, Dishonored, and Skyrim, among others. What are some of yours?

As much as PC gaming hardware has changed and improved over the years, there’s always been one constant: the limitations of disk space. Granted, it’s far cheaper and easier (no more absurdly tiny Master/Slave toggles) than it used to be to grab a new hard drive, but the rise of ever-faster but more expensive SSDs set things back a bit in that regard. With new mainstream games regularly asking for as much as 30 Gigabytes I remain, as I always have, in a battle for space. Which means I’m constantly uninstalling half-finished stuff in order to make space for the next big thing. Sometimes it’s heartbreaking. But there’s a line. There are a few games I can never uninstall, because it would hurt too much. Granted, they change a little over the years – new ones come in, old ones finally, finally lose their lustre (or I give up entirely on the belief that I will ever go back), but here’s how that list of inviolable treasures looks right now.
More.

More information.

Okay, I have terabytes of disk space and most of the stuff I play doesn't require a fast hdd, but here are the keepers that I return to:

Skyrim, I've played it more hours than any other game.

Might and Magic VII, I've played it more times than any other game.

MMVI and MMVIII, I generally play these after MMVII.

MMIII-V, I keep them on there for nostalgia mostly as I always plan to play them but
never get much past party creation.

MMIX, okay kidding :D

Others that have been on here for several years: Deus Ex HR, Oblivion, Eschalon (only the first one), Wizardry VI, Legacy of the Ancients (I haven't been able to get it to run on Win7), et al.

Since I've started "collecting" external HDDs, I backup everything then uninstall.
Currently, there is no game on my HDD SSD installed older than TW3. And even that TW3 I've returned back recently (seems I lost savegames in the process so no NG+ for me :().
If I ever need to get back on some games, restore process on any platform is easy peasy.

Of course, it's PC. If it wasn't, I'd be forced to keep junk on the machine for eternity.

I have had HoMM 3 on my computers since 1999. Skyrim since 2011. I can see I will be keeping Eador Genesis on my computers till I die.

Civ IV was recently uninstalled but I will get it again on Steam with all the expansions.

Might and Magic X has been on my computer since release. Pillars of Eternity has been on my computer since release. Wizardry 8 has been on this and my last computer since the GOG version came out. And that's it. Everything else on my computer gets uninstalled. I think I'm going to replay Skyrim sometime soon. Boy that will be a pain to reinstall.

Last edited:
Reinstalling Skyrim is easy-peasy. It's the 200 mods that are a pain :D

TW3 on my SSD and Skyrim (just to check new mods) on my second HDD

Skyrim is the only game on the author's list that I have on my HDD. I have to say, I like CrpgNut's list.

- Tropico 1
- Zoo Tycoon 1
- Commander Keen 4 & 5
- Drakensang (offline) 1 & 2
- Rayman : Origins
- Giana Sisters : Twisted Dreams
- Swords & Soldiers
- Evil Genius
- TDE : Startrail
- Ceasar 3

I think that's it for now.

Oblivion
Doom 3
Worms (most of the titles)
Unreal tournament black
Vampire bloodlines
Left 4 dead 2
Heroes 3
Dark messiah

Actually, I have a game that I've finished months ago but still can't find it in me to uninstall it, even though I don't play it. It's strange. It's Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter. All others that aren't uninstalled are simply unfinished and are waiting for their turn.

One game I actually didn't uninstall for years, but for a less than flattering reason. I lost the disc and the game was unfinished, and I didn't want to finish it. So it remained installed in case I ever want to finish it, for years. Of course, after a few years I already don't remember any plot or whatever was happening in the game, so it's rather unplayable. I guess I should finally uninstall it.

Easy for me: Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Victoria 2. The jury is still out for Stellaris.

I probably have fifty games that I'd never remove, most are older games like Might and Magic, Wizardry, Gold box games via GoG and such. The most recent game that I have that I'd never remove would be Fallout Three....off course the first two games are also non-removers!

Heroes of Newerth
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Warframe
Grand Theft Auto V
Terraria
Baldurs Gate 1, 2
Dominions 4
Dark Souls 2
Hearthstone
SpelunkySD
Fallen Enchantress
World of Warcraft (inactive until new expansions)

Last edited:
The only time I've run into space problems on my SSD was because of temp files and Windows system restore. That resulted in me removing a few games before I fixed the issue.

I am a collector of games so I keep a lot on my hard drives. I don't uninstall much mostly because I hate having to redownload stuff. But I do run out of hard drive space occasionally before backing up.

I always have the sierra games I grew up with on my machines as well as the basic games I made when I was younger.

The Elder Scrolls games for me.

Back
Top Bottom