Dark Souls - Sells 1.19M in NA and Europe

I wonder how much it cost to make and market?

well its units .. units are not priced the same right?
I am not very clear on this.

I keep reading about how many units a particular game sold. But, i don't read about how much revenue it brought in. I'm just curious to know what the game profited. Because, that's what really matters.

I keep reading about how many units a particular game sold. But, i don't read about how much revenue it brought in. I'm just curious to know what the game profited. Because, that's what really matters.

You can get a rough estimate if you multiply by the average MSRP, deduct around 40-50% for replication, packaging, shipping, retailer/wholesaler margin, Sony/MS fees, rebates, circulars, POS displays, etc., and then if it's considered an AAA game, the marketing cost can range anywhere from $20-80m or so.

Well, people who like their games punishingly hard are very vocal (because there haven't been that many games to their liking lately) but they are still not the majority.

Well, people who like their games punishingly hard are very vocal (because there haven't been that many games to their liking lately) but they are still not the majority.

I wonder if the combination of their marketting and the tone of the posts on IGN and other game-news related sites created something similar to the effect of Porsche's marketting in the 1990's.

I wonder if the combination of their marketting and the tone of the posts on IGN and other game-news related sites created something similar to the effect of Porsche's marketting in the 1990's.

Uh? Nah. Most people just don't want a game that is punishingly hard, that's all. Besides, it's very unlikely that the game had a particularly high budget, both dev-wise and for the marketing, so those to me are pretty damn good numbers.

Back
Top Bottom