D:OS D:OS May Just Dethrone U7

Divinity: Original Sin
Except… Is there any thief to recruit nearby? I need a pickpocketeer desperately and am not spending hardearned skillpoint for that skill on my cleric! Man, those townies are filthy rich, I must "confiscate" their stuff! :D

I'm feeling the same way. I really have no idea how to spend the accumulated level points I have. And there's all this locked stuff everywhere that should be mine. I literally suffer when I can't take something. I'm a digital clepto.

So it's like Ultima VII but with much better combat system? (

I haven't played long enough to know how much 'like' Ultima VII D:OS is. But it was certainly no lie by Sven when he said that they wanted to capture the spirit of U7 with this game.

There are seemingly endless interactions you can make with the game. I just hope that these interactions will be both novel AND important for quest/puzzle/problem solving. Time will tell.

All I can say is I had a few hours to spare this morning so I thought to myself why not play for a bit. Next you know I was almost late in leaving the house.

@JDR

Yeah, the lack of companion personalities will make me delay playing this until they patch them in. Disappointing, to say the least.

I've just hit the very first town ... I was almost overwhelmed by the variety of interaction possible there ... I think that there is so much to do, that this game should rather be treated like a good wine, or a Belgien Pralinè ... ;)

I started it up and played for about an hour, but I can't get past the lack of choice in NPC personalities. For me, it detracts a lot from the game that my only options right now are to have my companion agree all the time or have completely random responses.

Everything else seems great though for the most part. I hope it doesn't take much longer for them to finish implementing the personalities.

I have to agree with your comments on this matter.

Also, I don't really like the turn based combat.

Everything else is great so far. The story, quests and dialogue have drawn me.

I guess their humor isn't quite for me - but that's ok. As long as it's from the heart, I'm happy.
Your characters can sport an afro, how cool is that!? Not to mention that one of the customization options for them is what type of undergarments they're wearing. Dunno, I find these things charming.

As most others I thought to "just try it out" for a minute and spent a couple of hours just with character creation. And then my PC froze up when I wanted to start playing :eek: (I'm sure it's a hardware problem).

No, "original sin" is a term from the Christian Church.

I played around a bit and it's all very overwhelming, but in a good way! I play with Kyle Skye, a fighter, and Aileya Skye, sort of a priestess (enchantress with earth magic instead of air).

I just met Arhu who said something like "my name is Arhu" and I was like "no, that's my name" and then it hit me: I was talking to my self. ... Epiphanic moment.

Yes, I'm well aware that my third option would be to simply choose the dialogue responses for the companion. I have no desire to do that though.
I had the same fear about having to roleplay two characters at the same time — wouldn't that feel schizophrenic? But in practice it turned out to be quite alright and fun, too. I even learned stuff about my two protagonists I didn't know before!

Case in point: I created Kyle as a typical brute and Aileya as a charismatic and affectionate healer. Now they read a note in the starting area about a guy who died after jumping from a cliff because he believed in something. Kyle and Aileya talked about it — that is to say, I decided on how they would reply, — and as it turned out, Kyle is actually a romantic (bonus on luck) while Aileya has a pragmatic view on things (bonus on crafting). In retrospect it fits perfectly and the image I have of my two heroes was refined in the process. I'm loving it!

If you sort of know how your characters should be like, choosing replies is fairly easy and feels rewarding in its own way.

How is the magic vs might balance in this game? Ive heard from multiple sources that magic is bit overpowered unless you get really good weapons.

I played original divinity with melee character. It will help if sin has multiple characters but still its not fun if melee is underdog.

Early game is hard, late game it is about the same, there is endless cheesing that can be done with magic. But it is possible to buff the hell out of people before fights to make bosses easy in co op unless you have really fast hands. Like on another forum this dude did 2500 damage and took out 95% of the secodn area's bosses hit points in one shot. Even late game as a mage i struggle to do that to one guy. But on normal mobs magic does seem the way. So single enemies are easier with might and multiple with magic.

Its still the best selling game on steam. Could be the best game of the summer. And has gameplay elements from U7. Hard to resist. I dont buy full priced games, but still it feels like i have to make exception here. Resistance is melting. 50€ or Original sin, which one do I need more? Homestead was the last thing that tipped the balance.

I really should finish divinity2. Its the only one I havent of the "series".

How is the magic vs might balance in this game? Ive heard from multiple sources that magic is bit overpowered unless you get really good weapons.

Melee has gapcloser+knockdown, knockdown as such and AoE hit skills. Also gets OP healing earlier than water spells so I wouldn't say it's not as good as magic.

Bows and xbows are not nearly as good as melee and magic though. Ranged damage doesn't scale with skills, but cc arrows (stun) are good enough reason to have an archer in your party. Also that "school" has the ability to silence mages which is very handy.

But summons seem OP. Especially earth elemental (aka spider). Just put it in front to tank.

Ranged damage imho pays off if you use specialized arrows for different tasks.

I played original divinity with melee character. It will help if sin has multiple characters but still its not fun if melee is underdog.

I got a 2 two-handed fighters (both using scythe which is badass) in my party and they are by far the hardest hitter at level 8 (I might have been lucky with drop.). Summons is what hit hardest after them.

But Magic damage is greatly influenced by buff/debuff on the target though. Can be somewhat annoying when your weapon deal a bit of elemental damage and it end up healing the mob with it. *sigh*

I bought this yesterday and played 4 hours on computer (after spending 8 hours on computer in work), need to make a sofa-setup next time so i dont have to break my back. I would still give this game 10 more points if it had gamepad-support so I wouldnt have to play around with pillows and serving platters.

The game screams min-max at me. I spent hours in character creation just learning stuff and googling what works and what not. Its a good game and it has cool stuff like teleportation that ables you to i.e go to places you couldnt get othervice. Talking to animals is neat.

World didnt feel as big as U7, it felt a bit cramped. I definetly found my borders whether they were undead that killed me or something physical like walls or ocean. But I assume the game will open up once I spend time in the village and do a bit more min-maxing so that my party gets stronger.

I read that lock picking is not needed since you can simply break all locks so i didnt take it yet. I broke some locks with firebolts but it seems to take some time and it feels gamey.

After getting in the city I couldnt find anything anymore that I could kill. I could find undead (even ones with flamethrowers) but they killed me.

But I do remember having similar problem with original divinity. It took time to min-max in that game too before I was ready to leave the first village and kill first orcs. My current party is wizard with maxed out int and a fighter.

Back
Top Bottom