Ultima VI - Retrospective @ FaultyPixel

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
FaultyPixel has a retrospective for Ultima VI: The False Prophet. Give it a look and share your opinions.

While the next game in the series, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, is probably the most well-known and well regarded of the main Ultima series, Ultima VI: The False Prophet deserves to be remembered as a significant and monumental entry in not just the series, but RPGs and gaming as a whole. It started the trend toward grander scale worlds, ushered the genre towards the now-popular isometric third-person perspective and told a nuanced and engaging story to boot. Today, Bioshock: Infinite draws widespread plaudits for its story, not least from me, but Ultima VI’s narrative is every bit as good.

The False Prophet may not be the most fondly remembered of the Ultima games and may be criticised for its design choices, but the simple fact is that this much-maligned title is a damn sight better than most other titles out there. While the design may not be polished or the finished article, it set the basis from which The Black Gate, the most technically refined of the series, could build.

The true merit of Ultima VI: The False Prophet is in its transformation of standard, clichéd oppression storyline into an odyssey of self-discovery, introspection and evolution. It doesn’t overtly preach and it certainly doesn’t patronise; what it does is deliver a revelatory narrative in the most engaging way possible and for that I can describe it as nothing less than one of the best games I have ever had the fortune to experience.
More information.

I've always had fond memories of U6. Unfortunately when I first played it, I accidently cut through about 1/2 the game so I missed a lot. It was the first time though that the characters actually looked like characters and non just a tileset. Blew me away at the time.

I've always had fond memories of U6. Unfortunately when I first played it, I accidently cut through about 1/2 the game so I missed a lot. It was the first time though that the characters actually looked like characters and non just a tileset. Blew me away at the time.

I really enjoyed U6 when I played it but it's the only Ultima I never replayed due to the claustrophobic screen display.

I still remember being amazed at the depth and detail to the sewers under Lord British's castle. Was a blast to play (back then).

Yeah I've played it a few times since (and the worlds of Ultima games) and it always takes me a bit too get past the display.

Have you tried nuvie? The latest build makes the world full scene. It's amazing

Yeah I've played it a few times since (and the worlds of Ultima games) and it always takes me a bit too get past the display.

Have you tried nuvie? The latest build makes the world full scene. It's amazing

Never heard of it. But I'll be checking this out. Is nuvie a sort of 'exult' for U6?

Nuvie, pronounced 'New-Vee' is an open sourced game engine for playing Origin's games Ultima 6, Martian Dreams and Savage Empire on modern operating systems.

yes. Stands for New Ultima VI Engine. Started just replicating it but the last few years the guy has basically made a complete new interface.

http://nuvie.sourceforge.net/

In addition to the 'full screen' he also made the lighting effect more subtle. Looks really great.

I have been watching Nuvie for years, its been a long time for it to be complete. Looks like its still not done yet. I am in no rush....

Till then, grab the U6P version of the game!! :)

Too bad RG turned his back on the single player rpg. With the new tech that we have today, he could have done some amazing stuff. I'm just not interested with the new direction he has taken.

I'm not getting old, I am old!! :)

Back
Top Bottom