Your top 10 'Major Disappointment' games or: 'I want my money back!'

* DOOM 3. Crawling through tunnels and having things go BOO! at you is fun enough... for a while. But it gets old fast...
were.

What!?:S Doom 3 was the greatest FPS ever! It created the most thrilling atmosphere in a game to date. The graphics were jaw-dropping. The game was optimised incredibly well. The story was very interesting, and it continually grew to a Massive Climax Point. The sound was brilliant. Voice acting, Outstanding! The controls were also sweet. Better than Halo, were all you did was shoot at a few aliens with some comrads. Even if you didnt do anything the game would finish.

Anyway...a disappointment would be Oblivion becuase its didnt live up to its expectations. lol, Radiant AI.:)

Yes, the original Dungeon Siege was a total waste of time and energy
Time, maybe - but not energy! It was a game that I could have 2 computers going, and let DS play itself while I played something else and just occasionally hit the health or mana button ;)

Good one Mike, I'll pay that!! lol :biggrin:

I think I'd characterize HoMM4 as being more of a disappointment for me than a poor game. I know that opinion on the merits of HoMM4 seem to be sharply divided within the HoMM community, with many people feeling it was the best of the series. However, after loving HoMM2 and HoMM3, HoMM4 just didn't seem to fit, and it felt like they ruined the game play. I probably should give it a 2nd chance one of these days...

Indeed. HoMM2 was the better carbon copy HoMM1, HoMM3 was a the better HoMM2. HoMM4 was, however, not the better HoMM3 and this is the reason many people seem to have disliked it.

What!?:S Doom 3 was the greatest FPS ever! It created the most thrilling atmosphere in a game to date. The graphics were jaw-dropping. The game was optimised incredibly well. The story was very interesting, and it continually grew to a Massive Climax Point. The sound was brilliant. Voice acting, Outstanding! The controls were also sweet. Better than Halo, were all you did was shoot at a few aliens with some comrads. Even if you didnt do anything the game would finish.

Anyway...a disappointment would be Oblivion becuase its didnt live up to its expectations. lol, Radiant AI.:)

Actually, i'm with Prima Junta - Doom 3 definitely disappointed me. I quit playing after 30 mins. Got too boring. The scare tactics used in the game were just so immature and obvious after a while.

Just wondering, if you like Doom 3 so much then what do you think of F.E.A.R?

Actually, i'm with Prima Junta - Doom 3 definitely disappointed me. I quit playing after 30 mins. Got too boring. The scare tactics used in the game were just so immature and obvious after a while.

Just wondering, if you like Doom 3 so much then what do you think of F.E.A.R?

While I agree with the general theme, I'm wondering - are you serious about "playing after 30 mins"? Because if you are then how can you really judge? It is like quitting Gothic 3 after doing Ardea and a bit of Reddock and making full decisions ... Doom 3 is still a significant letdown, but there is more to it than just those first few minutes.

I played for a few hours but I really got sick of the monsters spawning behind me. That just seemed really lame. Graphics, sound, theme were good. I just wish they hadn't resorted to annoying "scare tactics", as Dr. A put it.

I ended up giving it away which only happens to a rare breed of disappointing games. Like Guild Wars. But there are also games that I don't dare give away to friends, maybe to a guy that pisses me off, games like Dungeon Lords.

Hmmm... while Doom 3 didn't make my 'I want my money back' list (or did it? I don't remember!), I was disappointed with it, sure, because it was so un-Doomy. But I played it to the bitter end. Games I can't finish for some reason or other are quite rare, and they hold a special place in my heart.

As for Dungeon Siege... well... I played it for two afternoons in between mailing and posting on forums, then I uninstalled and returned it to my friend (I had just borrowed it, yippie). The game's best function was that you could alt-tab it into the background and alt-tab it back when you felt like playing on... a rare feature nowadays. Comparable to Leisure Suit Larry's boss key.
But since I didn't a) expect DS to be good or interesting and thus b) didn't buy it, it's not a list candidate, either.

BALDERS GATE started playing it for 3 times but lost interest in it way too fast
Icewind dale 2: quitted it after a few minutes, reallizng I would never like it.
Diablo 2: had a lot of fun, for a while but could never bring me too keep it playing, not sp or mp mode
no other games that jump too mind directly, will be back probably

BALDERS GATE started playing it for 3 times but lost interest in it way too fast
Icewind dale 2: quitted it after a few minutes, reallizng I would never like it.
Diablo 2: had a lot of fun, for a while but could never bring me too keep it playing, not sp or mp mode
no other games that jump too mind directly, will be back probably

Okay that's it! You're going over the knee sonny boy. Not only are you calling Baldur's Gate boring, you also have the audacity to misspell it! Let me just get my belt ... ;)

Dungeon Lords-my greatest video game mistake
NWN2- can't finish it despite good reviews
The others including Oblivion were fine.

Okay that's it! You're going over the knee sonny boy. Not only are you calling Baldur's Gate boring, you also have the audacity to misspell it! Let me just get my belt ... ;)

No, this one is different ... in Balder's Gate you play a worker at a hairloss treatment in a 'Wisteria Lane'-like Gated community, the style is Sims-like, and you apply Rogaine to middle-aged men as part of your daily routine ...

:D

While I agree with the general theme, I'm wondering - are you serious about "playing after 30 mins"? Because if you are then how can you really judge? It is like quitting Gothic 3 after doing Ardea and a bit of Reddock and making full decisions ... Doom 3 is still a significant letdown, but there is more to it than just those first few minutes.

Oh, you mean like most of the game's reviewers seem to have done!! :)

Oh, you mean like most of the game's reviewers seem to have done!! :)

I kept an eye on Doom 3 - it wasn't one I was totally set on getting right away, so I watched the reviews. Early reviews were in the 90-ish range, which fell off to ~75% over a few weeks ...

So perhaps you're right - I thought the game was initially impressive, with a long drab & repetitive middle and a pretty decent end sequence.

Geez, you guys are tru hardcore. I loaded up Doom III for the first time around midnight, turned off all the lights. After the zombies started coming out to play in earnest, I got some pretty good creepy and downright scary moments!

Maybe you played it around noon with all the lights on or something, I did that a few days later and it wasnt bad.

As for the BG dissing, Tssk Tsk Titus! Go to bed with no dessert!

Geez, you guys are tru hardcore. I loaded up Doom III for the first time around midnight, turned off all the lights. After the zombies started coming out to play in earnest, I got some pretty good creepy and downright scary moments!

I like playing with headphones and on laptop - that is a very 'intimate' experience that really tweaks out scary stuff like the Cradle in Thief 3 or Hotel in Vampire. So I was full-on with Doom 3.

It is not a bad game, but the 90% ratings were very much over-rated. There are some genuine scares, but the shooter elements are fairly loose and sloppy, the 'monster closets' and flashlight-switch gameplay mechanic are both contrived and get old quickly.

- Star Wars : Force Commander. It ran so incredibly slow one could easily go brew a coffee until the main menu had built up. I even patched it, but I never found out why it was so unnaturally slow. My PC was at height of gaming system requirements, back then.

- Freelancer. A flight sim with no joystick support ???????? I couldn't believe it.

- Starlancer. The story just sucks. So much clichés I just got sick.

It's interesting to note that no one mentioned being disappointed by Gothic 3 despite a lot of complaints. I myself am gonna play it only with my new system and after a major patch is released. So lucky for me, no major bad impressions of the game. Although holding back from playing the game is killing me slowly inside :'(

G3 is a fun game despite the poor reviews coming out which for the most part have been very unbalanced in the context of CRPGs in general. G3 definatley left the building unpolished, but its still a fun game.

Gothic 3 is a good game, but it is not a classic.

I had very high expectations for 2006 - Oblivion, Gothic 3 and NWN 2
... and only NWN 2 manages to get better than its predecessor.

The worst thing for me is:
I *know* PB as well as Bethesda can do better.

Back
Top Bottom