RPGWatch Feature - Risen Review

Cm wrote:
Excellant review and comments. I did want to remark on what magerette said about the stealing and lies you have to do in the game. You are only forced to do that as a means to help the good guy person you are trying to be. Of course you can take the low road as well if you like, but the bad behaviors are not rampent in the game. If you want to save the day you just have to steal a little or tell the occasional white lie to a bad guy.

Thanks for your input, Cm. I'm sure I'll be playing it myself one of these days and I'll look for that 'lying so I can really do good' approach. I can probably handle that. ;)

I really enjoyed Risen but, a few weeks on, I can't help but feel a twinge of disappointment. It's worth playing for any PB fan, no doubt. I think they need to move forward on their next title but, for this one, I was disappointed with the ending and some aspects of the script. Some more longer/more complex quests (like Patty's), more factional content, more choices -- and where are your friends? The "team" of conspirators was one of the most endearing parts of the Gothics.

As a simple example, take getting captured. I completely agree that you get plenty of warning, so I have no problem with that. What I'd like is more paths with the result - what about being able to escape and return to the bandits with information, for example?

They definitely need to move forward with their next title but I'm not asking for innovation or technical improvements. More choices, please.

Yes, exceptionally strong year. A lot of good RPGs.

Yes, exceptionally strong year. A lot of good RPGs.

You also said this in the review, and I thought "huh?" to myself.

It wasn't a very strong year for RPGs over here in the US, but I get the feeling that Venetica and Divinity 2 probably have something to do with that over there huh?

Dragon Age, Risen, Venetica, Divinity 2, Drakensang (international). And then Torchlight, Geneforge, some NWN 2 thing, Borderlands.

In many years we don't have half of that.

Compared to previous years, I'd say there was a large quantity of good RPG releases: Drakensang, Dragon Age, Risen, Divinity 2, Knights of the Chalice, and Avernum 6 (for Mac).

EDIT: Gorath beat me to it. ;)

Was Drakensang this year? For some reason I thought that had been out since late last year.

Still… Torchlight, Geneforge, Borderlands(?!)…not a very strong lineup imo. The only AAA crpgs released over here were Risen and DA. At least those are what stood out to me.

Drakensang was last year in Germany.

Risen wasn't AAA. I don't care though, as long as the production values are good enough. If you want AAA, RPG is the wrong genre. ;)

I have played so many games in the ~6 weeks since I finished Risen for the last time, when uploading the screens the other night I felt nostalgic ... I've played so much other stuff it feels like forever ago (I can barely believe Drakensang was this year!)

You also said this in the review, and I thought "huh?" to myself.

It wasn't a very strong year for RPGs over here in the US, but I get the feeling that Venetica and Divinity 2 probably have something to do with that over there huh?

I get the same games that you do (normally later) and I think this has been one of the better years. Any year with a decent Gothic remake followed by a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate is a very good year. Not to mention the "indies" or non AAA games that have been released or will be shortly. I just flat out have too many games to play right now and will be busy for many months after the new year.

Plus the games that are coming right after the new year. Divinity 2, Mass Effect 2, and and those are just the ones that I can think of right now. I know there are at least 3 or 4 more that I have my eye on.

Any year with a decent Gothic remake followed by a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate is a very good year.

I guess my standards must be a bit higher then ;) jk.

Seriously though, those were really the only 2 great crpgs to be released over here in 2009, and to be honest, it's debatable how great they even were. The rest were very average afaic. It speaks volumes when a game like Torchlight is considered to be the next best option.

I see 2010 being *much* better though, with ME2, Divinity 2, Alpha Protocol, Two Worlds 2, and Arcania - just off the top of my head.

Two Worlds?? I wouldn't say you have higher tastes, just different.

ME 2 and D2 I consider part of this "gaming" year even though technically it's next. I guess if you are going to get THAT techinical then yes 2009 and 2010 are looking great.

I don't think I'm getting technical at all. If it's not being released till next year then it's obviously not part of this years games.

No, 2009 is not looking great, unless there's something I'm not aware of being released between now and the end of the year.

How does it feel to live in a console country? ;)

Back
Top Bottom