Biggest "what the heck" moments

Shadow of the Horned Rat brings to mind another WTH moment. My units were nearly decimated the previous encounter and I had barely enough gold to get some of my key units healed up. Then the very next encounter I am surrounded by night goblins who, of course, have those god dang fanatics in their ranks…..I did not survive them.

Now that normally wouldn't make for a WTH. I'd reload and try something new, but that game is so brutal that any mistakes you made in previous encounters compound upon one another to make it almost impossible to win without going back two or three encounters. At least that was my experience with that game. The rats won in the end…..which is how it should be ;)

BTW, I love how the skaven were portrayed in that game. Loved the voice acting and even the plot. It fits with their lore perfectly and something they would try to pull.

The second that GoG gets this game in their library and makes it easy to play on modern machines then I'm buying it and going to see if I can win this time :)

I sadly don't think GOG will get around to fix that game. The game is just too darn hard to get to work on a modern computer. Some people claim that they have managed to get it to run by messing with some system files, but even those have said that it remains unstable. I've managed to get it to run in a win98 virtual machine, but it does not seem to like modern hardware. Dosbox with Win3.11 installed also kind of worked, but it was even more unstable. In fact, all the pre-2000 GW licensed games, apart from Space hulk 1 and Space crusade are tricky to run. Final liberation can work, without videos, Dark omen requires one of the strangest methods that I have encountered (minimize the game as soon as the intro starts and maximize it again, that fixes the flickering problem, which also seem to be the only known solution), Space hulk 2 flat out refuses to run outside of a virtual machine and chaos gate seem to have issues with modern graphics cards when cultists fires their guns (people have used the built in map editor to remove all cultists from the game, I ran it in a virtual machine, but it did have some issues here as well). Rites of war works relatively well, but tends to crash from time to time (no known fix for this)
Also, we have GW to deal with. They want to promote the latest of their products, and holds their licenses with an iron grip, many of their older games shows a version of the warhammer/40k world that is incompatible with their current version.

Oh, and yes, I remember how darn unforgiving the game was. I kept multiple saves, so that I could return to a previous point, in case I got stuck, and always re-loaded levels that went poorly. It was a game for the challenge seeker, anyone else would just get frustrated and give up early on.

LMAO, you just named every single problem I've had trying to get those wonderful games to work again. I bypassed it the same way you did with Virtual Machine. It's not the best solution, but it works.

There was no way in all that is unholy that I was going to play Final Liberation without those videos. They were awesome.

I totally agree with you, the videos are a must for final liberation. The game itself, while not bad, is nothing special though.
One thing that did surprise me though was that Holistic design got the licence. They had their own sci-fi setting (fading suns), which is, in some ways, similar to 40k. They also made their own tabletop wargame (noble armada), and their own pen & paper RPGs.

Ok, back to the topic before the other mods come down on us :) If this wasn't a really good thread about WTH moments I wouldn't mind hijacking it so much ;)

So in order to bring us out of Warhammer land I'll present to you one of the best WTH moments I had when I was a kid. This is from my Space Quest LP I did here. You are in your ship and you push a button that says "Don't Push"

Here is what happens.

*Sigh* I miss Ken and Roberta Williams.

You are in your ship and you push a button that says "Don't Push"

Here is what happens.

*Sigh* I miss Ken and Roberta Williams.

Haha.

Reminded me of Space Quest IV whose entire premise is quite whattheheckish - travelling through different Space Quest games.
Like Space Quest XII: Vohaul's Revenge II. You even visit Space Quest I in all its EGA glory.

Though the most WTH moment in the game for me was when you have to use an in-game computer and ditch some files/icons in the waste bin - one is called SQIV and if you ditch it the whole game exits to desktop :).

System Shock 2

Again, in System Shock 2, when you think you've been helping out the Captain, only to make it to the bridge, find her dead body, and learn that you've been working for SHODAN the entire time...and then you CONTINUE to work for her...

@Deep O I remember that. I loved the Latex Babes of course ;) Hey, I was a kid.

I loved the mall too. It was one giant WTH moment from the word go. The best one was
where you had to find a Space Quest IV hint book in a bargain bin at a software store to solve one of the puzzles. They had other games in there too like "Boom", King's Quest XXXXVIII The Quest for Disk Space, Sim Sim Sim Sim and Where in the World is Hymie Lipschitz? [And Who really Cares]

Here's an LP at that part of the game.

Alright, back on track.

I bring you the Limbo of the lost ending
Now the game itself is quite a stinker (I actually bought it, but only after I found out about its history), but there is one interesting part about it, which you might have heard about: Almost everything in the game was stolen from other sources, including famous games like Oblivion, Thief 3 & Diablo 2.

More info can be found here

Wow, I've been skipping the forums for awhile lately…

BioShock: The golf club incident. I was still wide-eyed from the pictures in the previous room and then THAT happened!

Shadow Hearts: Covenant: Just about any time Joachim (sp!?) found a new weapon. ("Hmmm, that's a pretty nice fish…")

Final Fantasy 7: Getting near the end of the game. All my characters have massive hit points and spells that could blow away armies. Then I get put up against a little turtle thing with a dagger. It doesn't even attack the first round, it just takes a step closer. Next round, it calmly knifes Cloud who takes 9999 damage and falls over dead! There were quite a few other weird critters in that game, like house and motorcycle monsters.

Oblivion's Shivering Island expansion: The butterfly room. One of the few times in my life where my brain was outright unable to parse what my eyes were telling it. I was literally not believing what I was seeing.

City of Heroes - finding the level designers' studio down under Lord Recluse's tower.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - "we were lying about the exit to the south." Douglas Adams was more evil than I expected.

Divinity 2: The Chest… I had to pull a Tennet style "What!?" a few times when that puzzle came up. I haven't looked at a treasure chest quite the same since. That slow zoom toward the keyhole… ummm…. I'll be in my bunk.

Final Fantasy 7: Getting near the end of the game. All my characters have massive hit points and spells that could blow away armies. Then I get put up against a little turtle thing with a dagger. It doesn't even attack the first round, it just takes a step closer. Next round, it calmly knifes Cloud who takes 9999 damage and falls over dead! There were quite a few other weird critters in that game, like house and motorcycle monsters.
Ah, the Tonberry. Had I not played Final fantasy 3(6) before 7, it would have shocked me as well. It is a series mainstay, and as far as I know, it has been in almost every final fantasy game (though I'm not sure, the last FF that I played was 9), and it is always incredibly lethal.

BioShock: The golf club incident. I was still wide-eyed from the pictures in the previous room and then THAT happened!

I still remember my playthrough of Bioshock fairly well, but I'm scratching my head trying to think of what you're talking about.

Llamatron!! I haven't thought of that game for awhile. The instructions were as much fun as the game.

BioShock Spoiler
You remember! Where the main bad guy suddenly turned out not to be the main bad guy and then he forced you to kill him with a golf club?

After some hard thinking I remember going "what the hell" when finishing the adventure game Indigo Prophecy (also known as Farenheit). The game follows an unfortunate soul that has somehow been coerced into commiting a murder, with no recollection of it ever happening. The game follows him as he try to avoid getting caught and try to uncover the sinister plot against him. It all culminates in…
… you fighting an energy-based intergalactic supervillan.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant: Just about any time Joachim (sp!?) found a new weapon. ("Hmmm, that's a pretty nice fish…")
The carpet roll and the pillar were rather fine, too ^^. Joachim was great, anyway. I mean, uh, the butterfly mask and so on ... the whole character was one big WTH moment.

Back
Top Bottom