What MMORPG should I play?

My issue with LotRO is their pricing. They are asking new AAA game prices for expansions and not even throwing in a free one month subscription. Their pricing is insane and you want me to pay $15 bucks on top of that so I can access all of my characters and other crap? I’ll burn in the fiery depths of hell before I waste money like that. It’s almost like they are trying to gouge the ptp players, and I won’t be part of that model. Not when there are so many options.

For the amount of content I don't think twice about the cost. And I run DX11 without issue for what it's worth. Unless you are running 32 bit for some reason Fluent, you have driver issues. I'd wipe it clean, run 3dmarks, Prime95 and Sandra with Gpu-z monitoring and logging.

Thanks Corwin. I fiddled a little with the settings and it runs perfectly now, even in DX11. For some reason it didn't like to be set to Ultra High settings, but it was fine with Very High and then I manually set all the advanced graphics features to the highest levels. I also took someone's advice to set the audio to software and not hardware. Hasn't crashed yet, so I did something right. :)

I have a question about Bind on Acquire items. It says if I put one of these on, it's bound permanently to my character. That sucks! Is it really permanent? Is there any way to remove those bound items? I have a few very nice pieces of armor that I want to wear but I don't want to wear them for the rest of time :(

Edit - Nevermind, it doesn't work the way I thought it did. Sweet

Last edited:
Thanks Corwin. I fiddled a little with the settings and it runs perfectly now, even in DX11. For some reason it didn't like to be set to Ultra High settings, but it was fine with Very High and then I manually set all the advanced graphics features to the highest levels. I also took someone's advice to set the audio to software and not hardware. Hasn't crashed yet, so I did something right. :)

I have a question about Bind on Acquire items. It says if I put one of these on, it's bound permanently to my character. That sucks! Is it really permanent? Is there any way to remove those bound items? I have a few very nice pieces of armor that I want to wear but I don't want to wear them for the rest of time :(

Edit - Nevermind, it doesn't work the way I thought it did. Sweet

Bound just means you can't sell them at the auction house. You can dump them at any vendor or drop them in the world to destroy them. It is intended to keep the AH from being flooded with quest rewards.

Well, I've certainly been pleasantly surprised by my return to DDO.

They've added a lot of complexity to the character development system since the last time I played, and it means I have a ton of stuff to obsess over. I'm a bit of a powergamer at heart - and I love trying to come up with strong builds.

But, given all the past lives and true reincarnation stuff - it means it's going to be a huge challenge to figure out something that's truly more efficient than established builds.

Also, I'm having a great time co-op'ing with friends in our small guild. The dungeon experience was always great in DDO - and now there's a LOT more content.

Let me know if the Watch guild needs some help or whatever. We're not very big - maybe 6-7 active players - but maybe we could work together on something. Not too familiar with the end-game - but I believe it takes 12 people to raid? That might be an opinion - if you so desire.

Anyway, I can recommend DDO.

The Watch guild isn't exactly crowded. We've got 7 that play together on Fridays, plus Alrik who's abandoned us for Star Wars, Sherwin who mostly runs solo due to scheduling issues, and Branc who recently blasted his monk to level 18 in a couple weeks and then disappeared. There's a few other folks that tinker around, but they don't really interact with the rest of the guild much.

The Watch guild isn't exactly crowded. We've got 7 that play together on Fridays, plus Alrik who's abandoned us for Star Wars, Sherwin who mostly runs solo due to scheduling issues, and Branc who recently blasted his monk to level 18 in a couple weeks and then disappeared. There's a few other folks that tinker around, but they don't really interact with the rest of the guild much.

So, we're about the same size.

There's the issue of the time difference. But we have a couple of americans in our guild and I know that some of my friends are playing with them at very late local hours.

In any case, feel free to contact any member of "Ex Deus" - if you're in need of help with something.

We're using built-in voice chat - even though I've been trying to get them to use Skype instead. I find the built-in stuff insufficient and inconsistent.

I don't know how raids work or how feasible it would be to take them on, but given how we're ~12-14 regular players - it might not be entirely impossible to pull off. That said, my highest toon is only level 12 at the moment - but the others all have Epic characters.

Yep, the time zone thing is a real bitch for us as well. Peter's up in your neck of the woods and our Friday session ends up running something like midnight to 5am for him. He's a night owl, but that's still got to be a strain. Our 2 Aussies are firing up at 9 or 10am on their Saturday, which isn't exactly ideal for them, either. I guess it's one of those benefits to the Ameri-centric world. Although the other 3 have the poor manners to be on central time instead of eastern like me... ;)

We've given up on the built-in chat. We either skype it or type it. That's not exactly a flawless answer, either, but it works fairly well for us. JM is always teaching Peter new and exciting ways to combine profanities in the English language. It's just a service we offer to our English-as-a-second-language guildies. :D

Hehe, sounds like arranging something might be a bit of a challenge.

But I'm hoping it's not entirely impossible to do a quest or a raid together someday.

Should be fun.

Let's see what happens!

plus Alrik who's abandoned us for Star Wars,

Believe it or not, but I always feel kind of sorry that I've found a so much ... more interesting game ... Yes, I really do. It's just so that SWTOR is so much fun to me - as a Star Wars fan. And it's in German language, too. And I can play within my time zone ... *sighs*

But : I did not forget the fun I had with DDO. It's still in the back of my head. And I cherish that it is much more complex in terms of stats etc. that SWTOR could ever be, because I like DDO because of that. ;)

What should I buy in LOTRO with real money? Mines of Moria? The Samwise Gangee Starter Pack? What's the best bang for my buck and what is essential to progress in levels? I'm currently level 13.

Good question. I've sort of lost track of what I own - I'm pretty sure Moria was my last purchase around 2 years ago. Does Rohan include everything? I'll have to look it up.

Wish I could sell you some of my points… got over 20,000 I'm not using, heh.

Yeah I just check and I have 16,500 points. The 3 high level expansions are only about 10,000 in total so for me its free.

I guess the best advice is to grab Moria and earn points towards the expansions. No sense buying content for level 66+ when you are at 13. Don't take your leveling rate now as your leveling rate once you get into the high 30's. It slows down tremendously...

And enjoy the early levels. Not to troll, but the the later stuff is pretty stale, at least for me. Skirmishes can level you pretty quickly, so I would stay away from them for a good while.

I'm level 13 and having a blast. Crafting is a lot of fun. As a Hunter I can track animals so obtaining pelts to tailor is pretty easy. I just spent a few minutes hunting brown bears so I could tailor some leather armor. Fun stuff, really.

I'm not going to worry too much about expansions yet, but I'm thinking about the $10 starter pack. It removes the currency cap, auction house restrictions, and gives you the riding skill with a horse.

So far I haven't really cared about walking everywhere. I haven't had to walk 10 miles to complete a quest, so I don't mind it. Do travel distances get worse as you level up? Not sure I even need a horse at this point.

Great game, though. The story is surprisingly interesting. I just
freed Amdir from the Blackwold cave
, and I'm interested to see what's going to happen next. Cool game.

Walking everywhere and exploring as you go is half the magic of playing Lotro for the first time. In fact, you used to not be able to get a horse until level 30 before the game went f2p.

Don't ignore your deeds, you'll need the stat bonuses later and the early deeds are less grueling. Killing 450 wights in Angmar at the moment. Yippie :)

Believe it or not, but I always feel kind of sorry that I've found a so much … more interesting game … Yes, I really do. It's just so that SWTOR is so much fun to me - as a Star Wars fan. And it's in German language, too. And I can play within my time zone … *sighs*

But : I did not forget the fun I had with DDO. It's still in the back of my head. And I cherish that it is much more complex in terms of stats etc. that SWTOR could ever be, because I like DDO because of that. ;)
I was just observing and teasing a bit, Alrik, not complaining. I'm glad that you found a game that you're enjoying and it's clear that SWTOR is more fun for you, at least for now. That's what gaming is all about. No worries!

Question. I just entered the auction house and I'm trying to list an item. When I choose the item, does the price of the item default to what the item last sold for? I haven't tested it to see if it does or not. I can't really tell. But when I tried to list a shield, the price defaulted to 2 gold, 70 silver. Not sure if that's just a placeholder or if it means that's the usual selling price for the item. Any ideas?

Edit - Oh wait, I think it defaults to the price that a vendor would give you for it. Hmm. Okay then, do some items sell for more on the auction house than what a vendor would give for them? Example. A vendor will give me 8 silver for 20 bronze ingots. Would 20 bronze ingots potentially sell for more if I list them for auction?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom