Kingdom Come - Update# 20, The Last 24 Hours

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The kickstarter for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is almost over, and what a run it was. The game has managed to reach £1,000,000 so we now have dogs added to the game.

Here is the last update with more information.

Unto the last 24 hours!

We are now about to enter the final stretch: the last 24 hours of our campaign. It was a great ride and we want to THANK YOU for taking us along! We’ve received more than 17k comments, 3k personal messages, 5k likes, and most importantly tons and tons of positive support. You are the ones who made this game possible!

It now looks like we are going to burst through the £1m (about US$1.67m) stretch goal and who knows how far we can get before the last whistle. For this last surge we wanted to introduce one last stretch goal. We wanted to add something that makes the game better for all players and something that makes the game special. Our £700k pounds stretch goal was ‘Performance Capture’ and we decided to build on this.

A performance capture is as good as the actors that use it, and in fact many people have already asked which actors might get involved – talent like Sean Bean, Brian Blessed and even John Cleese are often mentioned. We love Sean Bean, especially because of his less known indie medieval movie Black Death, and Brian Blessed was in Dan’s mind when he was writing one of the nobles for the game. Obviously we share these sentiments with our supporters!

We already started talking to different talent agencies and we have a rough idea how much we would need to hire our favorite actors. So, we’re confident that IF we reach our next stretch goal (£1.2m), we will be able to hire at least one high profile actor or actress. In the game, you’d be able to not only hear their voice, but also see their likeness and their acting abilities (thanks to performance capture).
More information.

Last edited:
Man did these guys get a lot of cash for very little for their first three stretch goals.
Period music +₤100,000
Music recorded by orchestra +₤100,000
Female player character +₤100,000

That's double their original budget for those three things.

Erm… Actors to capture and use in a game?

Grab Jackie Chan for action, (ab)use Claudia Black for other (at)tributes. :D

And what world do those guys live in? Since when Black Death is less known movie?

Man did these guys get a lot of cash for very little for their first three stretch goals.
Period music +₤100,000
Music recorded by orchestra +₤100,000
Female player character +₤100,000

That's double their original budget for those three things.

Not really though. Remember, they have a private investor who has already put in over ₤1.5 and since the Kickstarter is a success intends to give them as much additional funding as they need to finish the actual game.

I probably would've backed this game but not if it's going to be a Steam exclusive. Also, considering they're planning on splitting it into three acts, I think it might be better to just wait until all 3 are out. I'm kind of skeptical about how an "open world" game can work with an episodic release, but I guess time will tell.

₤100,000 is a lot of money to score a computer game, full stop.

I'm also holding out for a no-DRM commitment, oh wait, that was for Darkest Dungeon.

Stretch goals in this case are not based on actual cost it seems... it's just 100k extra for each individual stretch goal with the exception of... the doge... apparently.

Stretch goals are BS anyway and it has been proven that costs end up being higher all the time so if low-balling the expected cost of music can help with the too optimistic view of motion capture cost (or of all of the game) I'm all for it.

Also, with a private investor, I think you can forget about no-DRM as he/she/it might want to have something to say about that.

I'm kind of skeptical about how an "open world" game can work with an episodic release, but I guess time will tell.

This is very simple. First act takes place in Rataje and its surroundings, in Bohemia. Second act takes place somewhere else, probably even different country, and so it has completely new different open world map. Ditto for the third act.

So each act is open world map, but all three are not one big open world. It is like chapters.

Yeah, these stretch goals are a little more BSy than others, and they're all pretty much BS. That's not to say the devs BSed about them. I recall them saying their game was more set in stone than other Kickstarters and the stretch goals would not be as significant. Seems to me these devs have been forthright throughout.

Anyway, I'm glad the dog is in. :)

Nice job Warhorse!

Imo they were quite honest about how they were going to spend the extra money. I'm glad that the female character sidequests are in though, because it seemed to be an important goal for many players. Even if we get to play only a short while in female character's shoes, it'll be certainly intresting to see how they are going to implement that feauture.

I'm personally most excited of the of the possibility of having better animations, ability to take part tournaments and join the in game combat academy…who wouldn't like that? :)

Didn't they only split it into 3 acts because of funding issues? With that out of the way it would have been better to include all 3 acts as part of the stretch goals.

And imho, getting expensive celebrities for voice acting/animation never improved any game. If anything, it makes it less immersive as I end up thinking "Hey, that's Sean Bean!" instead of whoever the character is supposed to be.

Didn't they only split it into 3 acts because of funding issues?
Act one is the full game think of the other two acts as expansions.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Act I, as it is planned, is a full scale, stand-alone game. It has 30+ hours of gameplay, complete open world map, all quests and closed story line. Most (if not all) game mechanics described above will be included: horse riding, combat, castle sieges, there will be at least one large-scale battle. Acts II & III extend the story, add new environment in separate maps, new quests, gear and weapons. They will also add new quests to the map of Act I. It will be possible to travel between maps of all Acts, some quests will require you to visit all of them.

We definitely intend to make Acts II & III and release them as soon as possible. However, our funding and schedule does not reach past first Act. We will finalize our plans for the release of Acts II & III when we get closer to the release date of Act I. For these reasons we don’t want to offer and promise them as a Kickstarter reward in their own right. We want to use them as a token of our gratitude to higher tiers backers, but you should think about it more like 100% discount offer than a guaranteed reward.
So yes it is a funding issue and I doubt they would be able to raise enough money to do both with a kickstarter. Let's hope the game sells well to fund both expansions.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom