Baldur's Gate II Questions

I think that at least used to be possible yes, but I've been playing with fixpacks for years and I'm quite sure it's not possible to game it with those. Obviously, kicking Viconia out would also void any possibility of romancing her.

Yep.

Reputation system is one of BG´s weaker aspects and since there´s not enough quests with support for evil inclined parties anyway, I think the best solution is installing one of BGTweaks that makes npcs complain but not leave.

Without the mod you´re more-or-less forced to game the system, especially if you want to play a party with mixed allignment.
In chapter 4 you get an unique ability which drops your rep by 2 points every time you use it which makes things smoother in this regard.

Definitely play through SoA first, you would be missing one of the greats crpgs ever made if you didn't.
I wonder why all this hype on BG2, well even BG1 (I found better).

My list of complain against SOA :
  • The fight system was badly tuned, in plenty fights the decision was done during the first seconds.
  • The global story was close to be ridiculous.
  • The companions had lost all their attaching values, it's so weird how the BG1 attaching Minsk and Imoen, become almost unpleasant and cold in BG2.
  • It lost all the feeling of adventure and freedom BG1 had and that was a big disappointment.
  • It started the stupid romance thing, curse on it for that.

Ok, many good points too, like many good side quests but well hardly in my top ten.

Many fights in RL and in other games both are determined by the initial moments of battle. However, if you go in like it's a FPS all the time, charging headlong and swinging, don't be surprised if it comes down to who you drop first. Try thinking about the fights first.

Story is down to personal preference. I found it to be fine, though not on par with BG1. Then again, I've never cared for games at very high levels; and BG2 runs right into Epic-level DnD territory.

Both Imoen and Minsc had character-altering moments in the beginning of the game, explaining why they changed. Especially Imoen.

The loss of freedom was annoying, and probably why I prefer BG1 considerably over BG2. Tutu is a Godsend IMO, because BG2 had the vastly superior engine, and BG1 was IMO the best of the Infinity Engine games as far as story goes; with the possible exception of Planescape (which is at the least every bit BG1's equal.) IWD2 had the better mechanics, but not much can be as bad as 2E.

The romance thing is bad, but later games' not having a good romance option is because devs tack it on at the last second. It's the least developed, least funded aspect of games today. It was new an innovative at the time, and could have led to some more interactive and immersive role playing experiences. Instead, we get side boobs. Blame the Devs and publishers and not BG2.

My only real complaint about BG2 was the small number of joinable NPCs. It wasn't even possible to do an all-evil party if you wanted. Iirc there were only 3 evil NPCs.

As for loss of freedom, sorry, but I don't see it. Sure, you have to uncover new map sections by talking to NPCs, as opposed to walking to the edge of maps, but the maps themselves still had the same level of freedom and explorability.

That's the thing about freedom in BG1 I liked. I didn't have to follow the story, I could wander off in the woods and discover things on my own. This isn't possible in BG2.

I remember finding Vickie in BG1 because I didn't head straight south to Nashkel, but went east instead, I found her, then found the bandit camps.

I prefered BG2 in every aspect compared to BG1.

I hate so called freedom of exploration. To me, its waste of time. NPCs in BG1 was boring and shallow compared to BG2. I think there are good number of NPCs in BG2. In my opinion, there were just too many NPCs in BG1, who I regarded as meat-shield rather than companions I travel with. And I really liked romance in BG2. Well at least Anomen romance (which was only available option for female PC). On top of that, I thought the story was excellent in BG2.

No complaints at all here :p

Last edited:
It's not a matter of being stupid and rush blindly into the fight, it's that during first two seconds the fight decision was done for too many fights. Not many CRPG I played suffer of this problem, SoA did, ToB improved this. Most SoA fights wasn't carefully designed and tuned like in Icewindale... and DAO. Even BG1 was doing a better job, BG1 mainly suffered of a balance broken in favor of long range.

For freedom, it's all the point, not the freedom of exploring an area, the freedom to explore a world and all mystery it carries. BG1 had that, BG2 lost it totally.

SoA was a little epic only during some dragon battles. ToB was a bit more epic but nothing compared to MoTB for example. The manipulation behind ToA story was quite ridiculous, hard to believe, not interesting to follow. Only some side quest and little parts was rather good on a story point of view. Yes you can consider it's subjective, everything is subjective.

Any detail in BG2 is BG2 including the stupid romances or the other points you enjoyed, it make no sense to make a distinction.

The age difference shows in that BG2 has a much improved user interface. I like BG1 better because I prefer the low level play rather than the can-opening mage fights of BG2. Still I recognise that BG1, as the first infinity title, has some unfinished concepts that the devs found a proper implementation for in the sequel. Luckily tutu fixes the interface frustrations.

Reputation system is one of BG´s weaker aspects and since there´s not enough quests with support for evil inclined parties anyway, I think the best solution is installing one of BGTweaks that makes npcs complain but not leave.

Without the mod you´re more-or-less forced to game the system, especially if you want to play a party with mixed allignment.
In chapter 4 you get an unique ability which drops your rep by 2 points every time you use it which makes things smoother in this regard.

It was that ability I was thinking of. But yeah, the reputation system is awful. I've only tried to play through as evil once (with mods to prevent characters from leaving), and I couldnt get out of a gamey feeling. Even though BG2 has better and more developed evil questlines than many other RPGs it still felt artificial.

Pretty sure it goes back up when she leaves.

You are probably right, I was thinking of a certain special ability instead.:)

Yep. I finished BG2 dozen times before I played BG1.

That's why. :p Though I cannot see how you dislike being able to find areas on your own without having to have the game hand-hold you through it. It's not like BG1 was so huge.

The reputation system does suck. But I don't think that either game was designed around a real evil play through; it was meant from the beginning to be a standard good vs evil affair; if the good guy was a bit rough around the edges. The evil characters were there to provide some conflict within the party. The later evil quests were really just a toss to those who wanted the more dynamic choices to make.

Every fight I have ever done in an RPG has been decided in the opening rounds. From Phantasie III, to Bard's Tale, to Treasures of the Savage Frontier all the way to Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate and beyond. When it isn't decided early, it was because I failed to use my party's abilities soundly.

For that matter, most every fight I can recall in TBS games I have played are decided early on as well. The sole exception is Steel Panthers: World at War. And even then, it is often the open artillery barrage and how I take advantage of it is what decides the fight.

I wouldn't go so far as to say BG2 held your hand, it's not like it was Oblivion or something.

It's funny how most people seem to lean strongly towards liking one more than the other. I guess I'm one of those rare cases that views them equally. There were certain things that I preferred in both games. I did like the map system a little better in BG, and especially the low level characters, which added to the sense of adventure for me.

BG2 had a more varied bestiary, and a main antagonist that was a heck of a lot more complex and interesting than Sarevok.

BG1 is my favorite because...
  • The adventure feel
  • Tabula rasa start, you can go anywhere you wish. No freaking maze to solve at start!
  • Less HC RPG than BG2
  • Every magic item counts! No random +2 swords from barrels etc. And every +2 weapon has it's name, description and usually it's found from special location.
  • You can live without magic, BG2 on the otherhand is all about having a right spells in memory. It's just nice bonus to have.
  • Better graphics design (more traditional), a shield should look like a SHIELD
  • Wonderful and different places to visit, like Cloakwood, Candlekeep, Beregost, Werewolf Island and Baldur's Gate all very different, but BG2 there is basically only Athkathla and Underdark.
  • Chapter-, dream and area videos are just wonderful
  • You can wipe out a (xvart) village with fireball. In BG2 the spells don't feel that powerful anymore.
  • Plenty of NPCs to drag with you in your party, though they don't discuss that much.

One bad side is that I can remember locations of every hidden gem and every quest. :p

But that doesn't mean that BG2 is bad, I just love BG1 more. :)

[*] Better graphics design (more traditional), a shield should look like a SHIELD

I think the overall graphics are a lot better in BG2, but I do hate the shields in that game. :)

BG2 there is basically only Athkathla and Underdark.

BG2 had a ton of cool places besides just Athkatla and Underdark. - Umar Hills, de'Arnise Hold, the Sahuagin city, Spellhold, the Planar Sphere, etc…

I don't remember the shields but for NPC portraits (companions) I prefer a lot those of BG1 and I'm close to find ugly those of BG2. They try be a bit more realistic but quite ugly for me.

Nice isn't more detailed or more realistic and for me many BG1 graphics had a better style ie was nicer despite trying less to be realistic. But overall BG2 was nicer anyway.

About places, in BG2 they felt more like dungeons outside or inside than world area like in BG1. But well that feeling is certainly coming from the freedom of global map exploration.

Weird, I made a quick search through Internet and could not find a single snapshot of BG1 original portraits only those ugly BG2 like.

Back
Top Bottom