Risen - Review @ PCGZine

@Moriendor: That's what I do too. :) But in some games it just feels painful if there is too many quests like in Sacred 2 or Stalker, even though they are not traditional rpgs, because I just *cannot* continue the main quest unless I have finished all the quests, looted everything that can be looted and searched every drawer and chest. In Stalker that was very problematic because some quests just reappear and it feels hard to leave unless I finish everything. :p

I think Risen is quite close to Gothic 3, so that you will start out nowhere and have more than one way to go.

Thank god we're not still locked into a constant hardware arms war. I'm sorry if your super-duper card is under utilised but why buy it then? For the rest of us, we can save some money and hopefully developers can create content more efficiently in the meantime.

Personally I rather game evolve in areas other than graphics, and mindless violence and sex.
How about more realistic interactivity with objects in the game world? More ways to approach a problem, overcome an encounter? More ways to fight in a combat, instead of just having more weapons that have fancy fx but only give player one type of approach to combat? etc. etc.

And at the VERY LEAST please please bring back the days of "thick and informative and entertaining" manuals. Oh and no more DRMs too please. :[

Seriously, it's the most efficient way to play. Gather all the quests you can find and only then after you have talked to every NPC head out into the wild to finish one quest after another.
Amen. At the same time it can be very, very excruciating.

Case in point: VtM: Bloodlines. While there were always various paths to take, it was no sandbox game by any meaning of the word. Yet when I played it for the first time, this is what happened:

The very first (main) quest you get at the very beginning, right after arriving in Santa Monica was literally: "Dude, visit me in my apartment, it's right around the corner." There was even a cut-scene showing me the exact location of the place. It was 20 steps away at most. But what did I do? I explored the entire district, talked to everyone, visited all places. I did everything I could possibly do, except go to the dude that was right around the corner! And all that only because I have this obsession to do all side quests before going on with any part of the main quest.

What's really weird is that I do the same with side quests. "Oh, there's the guy I'm supposed to talk to. I'd better check every door, wall and bush in a 100 feet radius around him first before I zone in on the target. Just in case."

Whaaa!

It was only during the second time I played the game that I went about quests more naturally, without too much unnecessary tiptoeing around the goals.

There is one gaming genre that is probably going to be pushing the limits of the pc soon and that is mmorpgs. Lately the games have been looking really good and a few use dx 10. I think that soon there will be dx 11 mmorpgs out and will take advantage of the newest video cards.

No screams of anguish at all the horrible bugs like we got with Gothic 3. Excellent. Must buy.

I'm looking forward to playing Risen. The sooner the better, but I'm afraid I'll have a problem finding time so it might be December before I can start my exploration. When do you guys play the game btw? Weekends? Every evening a couple of hours?

When it comes to playing I'm a perfectionist; I like to have seen/done everything that can be seen/done, and want to have talked to everybody that is interesting talking to.

I have not read the review @ PCGZine. I know enough by now. Nothing can change my mind: I WILL play that game.

Afraid my girlfr will get a bit sad and all… ;)
Why don't you show her? Let her play, get her excited, make her crazy. Chances are she'll leave you in peace, too busy playing the game herself. Risen is definitely not a boring boys game - based on what I know.

Most games use DX9 engines because the market for DX10 or higher is still small:

Infoworld (September 09. 2009):
As it turns out, two years after Vista's release not even 30 percent of PCs actually run it. And those that do are almost exclusively the Home Premium version, meaning that Vista is employed mainly by home users who likely got Vista preinstalled on a new PC.

and Microsoft refuses to implement DX10 into Windows XP. In Germany we call this "Eigentor" :)

Hey, I hung on to Xp as long as I could in fact my old computer is still sitting right next to me being used by my kids. I still use it once in a while when applications refuse to use Win 7 which is another situation that annoys me. The platform will be released in a month but nobody is officially recognizing it.
I usually get 3 years on a computer before something comes out that my rig refuses to play and I have to upgrade. It is a cycle and it has been the same since windows was around. I have may have anticipated too soon this time but I was just following the usual pattern. I managed to miss Vista entirely which, according to people I have talked with, was a good thing to do.
If only 30 percent of computers in the home have dx10, it tells me two things: economic times the last two years have killed pc sales and nobody wanted Vista

Thank god we're not still locked into a constant hardware arms war. I'm sorry if your super-duper card is under utilised but why buy it then? For the rest of us, we can save some money and hopefully developers can create content more efficiently in the meantime.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GameStar: 87%
PC Games: 86%

Only for subscribers yet.

Nice. Glad to see that the game is doing well in the reviews so far.

When can we expect to read the rpgwatch review? Are you Gorath already playing Risen? :)

Not anytime soon. So far none of us is playing it. I don't have time until the end of October.

I'm looking forward to playing Risen. The sooner the better, but I'm afraid I'll have a problem finding time so it might be December before I can start my exploration. When do you guys play the game btw? Weekends? Every evening a couple of hours?

When it comes to a game like Risen, I'll *make* time. ;)

I'm lucky to have a lot of free time right now though, so I'll pretty much be playing Risen non-stop until I'm finished.

Then you will probaby finish it before I even get my copy from Amazon :-/
(I doubt it will reach me before the 10th at the earliest)...

Still since it seems I am upgrading after all (friend of mine had a 50% discount to share
so I am getting an i7 950, 6GB DDR3, ATI 4890 and 2X 150 GB WD Raptors to put in a
Raid 0) Its all for the best I guess :biggrin:

Eager to hear the (non spoilerish) impressions from you guys who get it early...

I'm lucky to have a lot of free time right now though, so I'll pretty much be playing Risen non-stop until I'm finished.

OMG you're in heaven!
Accident, murdered - not somebody from Politics & Religion?!

hahaha and people still no learn, lot of new video cards that cost 400-600$ out there when you can buy a console at 200-300$, i mean a COMPLETE system that even can work as a Blueray player or HD player.

All directx 10 Games support directx 9, soo directx 11 for what? new video cards with double of power for what? GT300 comming and ATI5xxx serie out for what?.

The only aplication i see for those video cards are for pyrit :D

If there is no new console in next years we will be seeing more Directx 9 games for long time.

Thankz microsoft for the Xbox :D
________
EASY VAPE REVIEW

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom