KoA: Reckoning - A Hero's Guide @ GameSpot

Few thoughts:

• This looks like a single player WoW with better graphics and added cut scenes.

• I really wish RPGs could move away from using british accents all the time. Why the hell do so many RPG have to do voiceovers with british accents? Is it a simply given fact that people using swords drop their "Rs"?

• I think this looks like a good game

Looks pretty good.

As for British accents - they have been used in more varied scenarios in the media, meaning they're easy to associate with everything from evil characters to medieval or even sophisticated ones. American, on the other hand, is widely known for the words "shit" and "fuck", neither of which are very colourful or creative terms.

Basically, blame Hollywood.

It does looks slick and pretty.

I may be reading too much into this but the trailer seems to hint that all the factions have some sort of connection (story and lore) to the main quest. I hope the connection is more than skin deep and there is some sort of depth.

Take our world for example, we have different factions (bankers, lawyers, politicians, police etc). They have their own issues (faction quests) but they are also interconnected and in bed with each other when it comes to the country (main quest). So if there is plot against the country, in someway you will find that these factions (wholly or partly) are also involved in some way or the other. This si why I like to see the faction being involved with the main quest in some way in addition to have their own issue as well.

Btw, currently there is no option to turn off quest markers on top of NPC heads, however the lead designer posted on the official forums that they are looking into adding an option provided it does not cause any issues at this late stage in development.

Who is this Claudia Black ?

Looks pretty good.

As for British accents - they have been used in more varied scenarios in the media, meaning they're easy to associate with everything from evil characters to medieval or even sophisticated ones. American, on the other hand, is widely known for the words "shit" and "fuck", neither of which are very colourful or creative terms.

Basically, blame Hollywood.

I agree.

The american language just doesn't fit into "medieval style" fantasy RPGs.
It may have something to do with the fact that the U.S. had very few "mediaval times", so to say.

Whereas there *are* a few exceptions from the rule : The legendary German Knight Götz von Berlichingen is infamous for the use of a thing similar to the "F-word" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Götz_von_Berlichingen

Gottfried "Götz" von Berlichingen (c. 1480 – 23 July 1562) and also known as Götz of the Iron Hand […]

His name became famous as a euphemism for a vulgar expression (er kann mich im Arsche lecken "he can lick me in the arse") attributed to him by writer and poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749–1832) who wrote a play based on his life.

Wasn't she on Stargate too, for a few years? That's one of the very few TV programs that I actually watched...about 3 years after it ended :)

@JDR, I'm kinda skeptical too. Amalur could be good, but they haven't shown enough to prove it yet. I kinda hate the art direction and combat too, from what I've seen of it. The few glimpses of non-combat have been okay though.

Well I want that even more now, I like the art style and it has the look of a really good north american polish that a lot of the European games don't have. Yes, definately getting this, my hopes are up.

Well I want that even more now, I like the art style and it has the look of a really good north american polish that a lot of the European games don't have. Yes, definately getting this, my hopes are up.

You just said that to piss people off here right? :lol:

Still not getting the positive vibe that everyone else seems to have about this game…

This is what I see:

Oblivion with better combat.
Oblivion with better loot.
Oblivion with a better story.

Give me any one of those, and I'm sold. All three? Booyah.

In the end, the appeal probably comes down to whether you think the combat looks fun or not. I definitely think it looks fun, but then again I really enjoyed playing Batman:Arkham Asylum, and the combat reminds me alot of that game (minus the magical spells, of course).

Definite buy for me!

I was thinking that too, lostforever, except both JDR and I are from the USA and we're the ones who claim skepticism. I hope to like it, but I'm not sold. The hints that this game is just a lead-in to an MMO and not the start of a single-player series is another letdown for this staunch American :)

Not at all, a lot of the european games including Gothic have some rough edges, especially when it comes to translating them to english. If that pisses you off then, you would be prettyt sensitive. The Witcher 2 is a nice showcase of when they do the extra things well, but unfortunately that isn't usually the case.

I don't know what to think of this game, because it is too much action-oriented for my taste - judging from the relatively little news I've read about it this far.

And if everyone continues to say "it's action !" then I won't buy it.
It is also a bit *too* colourful for my taste yet (and that says someone who loves both Drakensang games !).

and it has the look of a really good north american polish

I'm not quite sure, but I tend to think that you've hit it on the nail what I feel (feel, rather than think !) about this game :

It looks to me like an "north american game". Like a "Hollywood Game", so to say.

This is what I see:

Oblivion with better combat.
Oblivion with better loot.
Oblivion with a better story.

Yeah, but how difficult is it to improve on things like loot and story from a game that was pretty terrible in those aspects? :)

Replace Oblivion with Fable, and that's closer to what I'm seeing.

Personally I'm excited another company is making a new RPG....willing to wait and see instead of pre judging personally though. I think it does look like a bit of action for combat but man that vid showed some cool things like back stabbing, lock picking and pick pocketing to show a few....some of the factions sounded pretty cool too....nice to see some new ideas instead of recycling all other games.

I watched the larger demo that was posted here in the last couple weeks and that will be the only one I will watch as I want to see the game for myself.
But to be honesty I never played fable but from what I can gather from curt schilling is he is a x ballplay/gamer with money. I can deal with the graphics and combat if there is a good story line which there seems to be..with some thought behind it...

Back
Top Bottom