Pillars of Eternity - Gameplay Trailer

Don't mind GG, she enters every thread with the same complaint about graphics. Her eyes aren't quite working :)

Hmmm, I just checked my backer level and I'm supposed to receive a beta key. I haven't really been following the game or the vids and such, but I guess I'll see what shows up. It looks like it is supposed to be today that the keys get sent.

Nobody has got them yet.

Well, the biggest reason I never could play BG is the horrible character graphics, I don't see any reason to keep making characters that you can't get attached to because they don't have any faces in engine… even if it is supposed to reproduce that old-school "feel".

"No faces"? Please explain.. They have faces and there's even a "big head" mode so you're able to see them more up-close.

It's disappointing however that they've removed the animated grass and trees which was absolutely beautiful when they showed it in the first grapics demo. That's one thing i've never really liked in 2D isometric games, everything is so static that it feels a bit too much like walking over a painting.

Got my steam key! Downloading now.

Over/under on how much sleep I get tonight is 4 hours.

I played a bit, it's really an early beta. There are issues, bugs, memory leaks and even temporary icons and missing labels here and there. Beside that though it's quite fun. I did pretty much the same quest has in the demo of Gamescom plus one or two more fights…lots of big spiders (remember those spiders in Beregost house in BG1…their poison is just has nasty).

Combat is too fast (stuff move too fast). I do agree that if you played the Infinity Engine games that you don't really need to learn how to play, but it's quite different from D&D. In a way, I got more of a Arcanum feels out of it, but thinking about it, it would match Icewind Dale too (it's the dialog, BioWare doesn't do in ambiance exposition that much).

The Chanter is a cool class and overpowered (it's among the known issue list…I didn't know that when starting my character, but I totally agree). Wizard and Clerics have a lots of spells but the detailed tooltips are awesome. Fighter/Rogue are low maintenance has expected. I need to try the other classes.

The water is pretty too…

Ok, I've just had a look at the Obsidian forums... and the list of known issues/bugs is quite large... anyone else played PoE yet?? I'm guessing there's no way this will be released in December (even if they do, I don't think they will be able to address all the bugs/issues and we will be getting another bug-ridden product from Obsidian).

My beta is downloaded, just have to wait until I get home and I can play for probably 2.5 hours. Can't wait!

ETA: I will probably spend the first hour just in character creation, haha.

Ok, I've just had a look at the Obsidian forums… and the list of known issues/bugs is quite large… anyone else played PoE yet?? I'm guessing there's no way this will be released in December (even if they do, I don't think they will be able to address all the bugs/issues and we will be getting another bug-ridden product from Obsidian).

You know what a beta is... right?

You do know its only ~4 months away from December right?

They couldn't possibly fix any bugs in 4 months. Which is why they hand out the complete game beforehand, call it a beta, and try to prepare people this way for the inevitable "bug-ridden" game. :juggle:

I'm not the only one who's worried about amount of bugs and issues considering there's only ~4 months left. But whatever, you can be overly optimistic :)

I'm not the only one who's worried about amount of bugs and issues considering there's only ~4 months left. But whatever, you can be overly optimistic :)

Y'know, the reason they didn't put this game on Early Access is to keep the beta seperate from the complete game, because a lot of people are apparently unable to differentiate between the two. I didn't believe it when I read it, but now there's living proof. :)

Don't mind GG, she enters every thread with the same complaint about graphics. Her eyes aren't quite working :)

Only in BG or related threads more or less, I am far from picky about graphics.

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Well, the biggest reason I never could play BG is the horrible character graphics, I don't see any reason to keep making characters that you can't get attached to because they don't have any faces in engine… even if it is supposed to reproduce that old-school "feel".

"No faces"? Please explain.. They have faces and there's even a "big head" mode so you're able to see them more up-close.

It's disappointing however that they've removed the animated grass and trees which was absolutely beautiful when they showed it in the first grapics demo. That's one thing i've never really liked in 2D isometric games, everything is so static that it feels a bit too much like walking over a painting.

Well, this screenshot might explain it? it is from the 720p version of their video...

Attachments

• faces.jpg
    faces.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 32
anyone else played PoE yet??

I put my first hand feelings in the post right above yours. It's bugged but I really didn't see anything major that they can't fix in 4 months. All the bug I encounter were on the known lists anyway, which means they are working on them before the beta even started.

The beta is the demo they made for presentation at Gamescom, usually when you cut stuff away you introduce bugs has well.

I haven't actually encountered any crashes or bugs in 2 hours of playing. Certainly nothing that makes me think that they won't be able to have it ready in 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom