Divine Divinity - Available at Good Old Games

"I think the fixed skills are easily worth six bucks."

Pity they don't think it's worth the 50 bucks we all paid for the original game.

Colour me unimpressed with what appears to be a growing trend. Want the bug free game you thought you were going to get when you paid full whack? Give us more money.

Did anyone that paid full price for Arx Fatalis get a 1.19 patch?

These are 10 year old games.

Get over it.

Heck, it is 10% of what I just paid to get half of what was promised *two years ago* for Vista ;)

Just noticed but Divine Divinity is also available from Impulse for 4.95$.

Come on, this is basically a very short patch and nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're making the "remastered edition" available - this means RPGers who haven't played the series can find it easily, and cheap.

But I just see a few fixes, not enough new content which I would have gladly paid for.

The right thing to have done was include the fixes as a patch for those who already have the game. And it's the principle of it, $6 is not a lot of money, I certainly spend more than that on less.

Come on, this is basically a very short patch and nothing else.

Really - OK, show me the wide retail availability that this patching.

You can't, because it has been virtually unavailable for a while.

Where is the claim that this is anything other than a tweaked re-release in digital download format?

Really - OK, show me the wide retail availability that this patching.

You can't, because it has been virtually unavailable for a while.

What does that have to do with it? They could have the re-release AND still have the patch for those who already have the game. How much of a hardship would that be?

It's not like the original is an ancient and obscure game that can no longer run on a modern machine/operating system. As for widely available, when I bought it nearly two years ago, I'd still see copies in Gamestop (and Target where I got it). You can still get it on Amazon as well. So it's not like it hasn't been available at all since 2002.

Again, I think the re-release is a good thing. I love the game and the more fans, the better. But I shouldn't have to buy the game again for a few "fixes" that they could have made available for free.

Obviously, this should have been a patch.

Big deal? Maybe not, but in principle it's just wrong to exclude people who've bought this game.

Actually, it's VERY wrong - but whatever.

But why should game developers make such compatibility upgrades available for free? They never promised the game would run on hardware and OS almost 10 years in the future. And in other industries it's completely accepted that you have to rebuy the updated product if you want compatibility with the latest standards. Obvious example: the film business. VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray: You want the higher res? Give us your 10-20 bucks. You already have an older version? Who cares!

I'm referring to the bug-fixes, the things that were and remain broken.

The upgrades are "fair game" to charge for, but in my world it's the kind of thing you'd give away free anyway - in an example like this.

The remastered version is a fine move, I just don't think they should hold back the fixes. That's just not a nice philosophy.

I don't see it as obvious ... what I see as *more* obvious is that many here, especially those who bought the game for really cheap in the last couple of years, are showing their unwillingness to support RPG developers.

That's fine, just realize that you are a part of the problem.

Why don't you just go pirate it since the developers have committed such an unjust screwing against you personally?

That makes no sense.

We're talking about right and wrong, not about an obligation to support anything.

For your information, I've bought this remastered version specifically to support them

That doesn't change the fact that fixes should be free, because as a publisher/developer I think you're obligated to ensure the proper functionality of your product.

If you don't agree, fine, but let's not emotional.

Boasting about your delusions of grandeur, are you ? ;)

That makes no sense.

We're talking about right and wrong, not about an obligation to support anything.

For your information, I've bought this remastered version specifically to support them

That doesn't change the fact that fixes should be free, because as a publisher/developer I think you're obligated to ensure the proper functionality of your product.

If you don't agree, fine, but let's not emotional.

I wasn't talking about you - because I see you are arguing from philosophical standpoint. Relayer, however, both with Arx and now Divinity has presented a stance that he is being screwed by the developers.

I understand the standpoint - any fix that is made available in any form should be made available universally. I agree - and by that token Win7 should be free to compensate for many of us who bought the worst OS release in modern history.

And if it is a patch and not anything that has enough scope that would take any additional debugging, then I agree. But for a game that is *8 YEARS OLD* and wasn't a huge seller to begin with, where does the money come from? This re-release certainly took resources, and they are recouping that through the $5 price - of which they only get ~70% at best due to publisher and distribution takes.

If they just put out a patch to the CD version that took away the CD requirement and fixed the bugs and enhanced the resolutions, they would need extensive testing, and they would lose considerable sales as people would download the free patch rather than supporting the developers - so they would lose twice.

If you object - don't buy it. Divine Divinity is one of the best games of the decade, IMO, and if you can't manage $5 to support these guys, then ... well, I already mentioned what I thought about that.

I'm also pro to a general patch being released - but what can I do ? Nothing ...

Here's how I look at it- At first I was also in agreement that it should have been just a patch, but seriously, it's only $6! You pay more than that for lunch at a fast-food restaurant.

If they were charging $10+ for it, then I could understand some complaining.

Back
Top Bottom