Gyromancer - Now on Steam

And puzzle RPG would be... What?
Something like HOGs are for adventures?
If yes, then I'll skip that whole genre.

And puzzle RPG would be… What?
Something like HOGs are for adventures?
If yes, then I'll skip that whole genre.

Where have you been the last few years?

Have an RPG and replace combat/various other monotonous tasks irrelevant to the enjoyment of an RPG with an addictive puzzle mechanism instead. Genius hybrid.

But before you comment further, grab the free demo of PuzzleQuest and come back here after 10 hours of play.

What are HOGs?

There's a demo for Puzzle Quest, the game that I believe started this … sub-genre / genre mix. It was quite popular here at the Watch. Demo is only 34 MB.

Edit: kalniel beat me to the punch, but I included a link. :p

What are HOGs?

Hidden Object Games I believe. Anyways dont knock it until you try it. It sounded incredibly stupid when I first heard of puzzle quest. I now have PQ on my PC,PSP, and Ipod touch! I have lost so many hours to that game I cant even begin to count them.

But before you comment further, grab the free demo of PuzzleQuest and come back here after 10 hours of play.
Or you could just play a CRPG instead. Ten hours of repetitive, luck-based gem matching smeared in banal manga style 'art' is ten hours of your life you'll never get back. Or one man's meat is another's poison.

It's still better than KotOR though.

PQ is pretty awesome, I got it going on my Iphone and just about every pc that I own or work on. This Gyromancer game is not so good, in my opinion. Actually, it kinda sucks….

Instead of the horiz/vert single gem switch of PQ, you instead have a circular pattern of gems that rotate. It's not really fun at all, in fact simply matching a row is a convoluted Rubixian affair. Just start spinning gems and see what you get. The damage system is lame. None of the flash-wham-boom effects of PQ either, and the sound is nowhere near as good. Granted, I didnt play it very long, but after 15 minutes I was like f*** this, and uninstalled it.

Hidden Object Games I believe.
You got that right. The most disgusting game genre ever.

And I'm still not convinced. And I', currently playing Westward3. And enjoying it. Which means I'm open to new (or mixed) genres. If someone manages to rationally explain what's so good in a game (genre) before I even try it, then I'll (maybe) try the game from the title.

Last edited:
There's no way to really convey the fun of Puzzle Quest to you. You remind me a lot of my own attitude towards it, before I played it. I dont play the match type games, ive considered them a big waste of time. Those are games for grandmas who do nothing else but joke emails and mah jonng on their Emachines. Admittedly, I gave into peer pressure when many people whose opinion I respect on this site were going nuts over PQ. It was 20 bucks, what the hell.

I was surprised how much me and my fiancee liked it, it's a very good and strangely addictive game.

You got that right. The most disgusting game genre ever.

And I'm still not convinced. And I', currently playing Westward3. And enjoying it. Which means I'm open to new (or mixed) genres. If someone manages to rationally explain what's so good in a game (genre) before I even try it, then I'll (maybe) try the game from the title.

There is no way for anyone to rationally explain to you whats good in a game. Everyone has different tastes.What I find fun is utter crap to someone else, and what they like might be a steaming pile of suck to me. Two people have already said they basically had the same attitude towards the genre as you, and we both found it fun. All I can suggest is try the demo.

I did play puzzle quest through but found there was too much in the way of random encounter combat where each fight took ages to complete (until I got my barbarian type up to the level where he could start turning things into skulls).

There's no way to really convey the fun of Puzzle Quest to you. You remind me a lot of my own attitude towards it, before I played it. I dont play the match type games, ive considered them a big waste of time.

Ditto. If it wasn't for Magerette's solid endorsement of that game I would of passed it by without a second glance. I'm glad I gave it a shot because it is just pure fun and like yourself I can't really explain why it is so fun other than it is a solid coffee break type of game that you can play for a few minutes or hours on end.

Thank you, for that info on gyromancer. I wasn't really sure about that one because of the way you move your pieces (I didn't like the mini-game in Plants vs. Zombies where you did exactly the same thing). I'm going to pass on it and just wait for PQ2 to come out.

Back
Top Bottom