Piranha Bytes - Interview with Mattias Filler

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
World of Risen have an interview with Mathias Filler, former employee of Piranha Bytes on Piranha Bytes, the games industry, his plans and the Gothic and Risen games.
Could you give some advices to our Gothic-Modding-Teams or to our new indie teams which would help them in the development of their own stories?

Finish it. Cut down everything that causes to much time and work, stay at a manageable level, put goals and check them. Referring to the development of the story, it is quite helpful to present it to someone else. If you convince the other person, you'll be on a good way. If the other person doesn't even understands the story, you'll better reflect on it and check if it is really as good as you think.

Do you plan to create your Dream-RPG (not important with which developer) somewhere along the way? That means, to write a story, that is perfect in your view, for a RPG?

There really is an idea I would like to realise in a RPG (by the way, I've already discussed about that in the forum) but “perfect” doesn't exist and my RPG doesn't have to be like that. Creating a good game would suffice.
Thanks Kostas.
More information.

It's just a part one of the interview.

I'd quote this also, about current state of games:
For gamers, there has never been a larger choice, negative to mention in this process is the junk with witch we are filled.
Maybe he could just add that review sites get payed to praise the certain junk which would complete the story, but okay.

About developers:
Development of games should happen independent of thoughts of groups of buyers. Create a game you would like to play yourself. That's the maxim.
Too bad publishers disagree with this.

Re: quote:-

I lecture on “Interactive Storytelling” … that's exactly what I've done at PB. In general, it is important to me that the game reacts on the actions of the player. This leads to liveliness.
---------------
Yes, but Mattias, it is gaming's most "pure and unrealised" conceptual state when the gamer has no idea, does not know or cannot see the consequences for their actions, words, or deeds until later in the game or until fruition. I even agree that they must not be aware of weather they are morally justified within their own personal alignment rather than the player character 's alignment, you could argue that this point is exactly reflective of the gamer via the (NH) player character as a medium, yet it has been proven over time that they are not the same but could be if greater effort was made to somehow convey this to the gamer? - once the gamer becomes aware of it they can try applying methodology solutions until the desired goal is found - or should a 'consequence-outcome' remain completely isolated from the gamer's suspicion or awareness?

Following this line of thought as a total purist who did manage to find chromanin, then it can only have been due to my own personal alignment at that time all those years ago and therefore must agree that G1's chromanin is totally right in it's 'player-to-character' principle and not as it may appear to some "a failure".

Yes" This leads to liveliness" but 'checkmate' is much better than 'stalemate' and this has resulted in my grey beard being longer than all the PB's put together !!!

Yours with the greatest respect, eternal wanderer, chromanin seeker overseer, G1's most hardcore dedicated gamer with 81 play throughs completed without success.

could he, should he, will he ever, play G1 again?
Wulf.

Back
Top Bottom