Diablo 3 - A Message From Jay

Yeah, I'm also not a terribly huge fan of Diablo 2. Don't get me wrong; it's a good game. I just think it's been put on this ridiculously high pedestal by a certain subset of gamers.

Still, it's nowhere near as overrated as Torchlight. I mean, yeah, Torchlight -definitely- has some interface and playability improvements over the competition. However, -everything- was so bland, boring, generic, and repetitive. Even with the good stuff, I couldn't play more than a few hours without moving on. I hope TL2 is better, but I doubt I'll get it.

I have a similar problem with RTS games. I once played Civ IV, a really good game, but when I was through it, I never felt to replay it again.
It was to me as if I had seen all of the mechanics already.

See! See!? That's what I was talking about when describing my childhood obsession with particular Mario-inspired 2D platformer (Giana Sisters). Same mechanics over and over again, but the point was perfecting it. Can't do it no more. Get bored. Sigh.

I couldn't feel any reason to do it all over again on a greater difficulty and I just cannot grasp why people still play Diablo 2. Unless you see slight increase in numbers as content you are done.

diablo 3 is far more repetetive when it comes to this. here its basicly *only* about
higher randomly rolled numbers.

Any shitty game can become a cultural phenomenon and it cannot be explained by analyzing the game, but only how the players popularized it. Speedruns is an example of this phenomenon. World of Warcraft is an example of this phenomenon.

this is simply not true and more an example of your own taste than anything else. wow was certainly not a shitty game when it came out. do you know of any other "shitty game" that has millions and millions of players for years and years?

I spent more time with Diablo 3 than with Diablo 2 simply because there was more content in it. More to explore.

since you yourself stated that you havent finished the game, you really have no idea about how much there is to explore. d3 is FAR more linear and repetetive than d2. the quality of level randomization is just so inferior compared to d2, and some parts of the games isnt randomized at all, making every playthrough feel more or less exactly like the last one. this was certainly not the case with d2.

during your first playtrough it might feel like there is a lot of width and stuff to explore in d3, once you advance a difficulty level you will quickly notice that its the same "random" events all over again.
npc's and followers quickly get tiresome since they keep repeating the same lines over and over again.
most of all, itemization is so much poorer in d3, the only thing you need to care about is your main stat + vitality, and a weapon with a high dps number.
in this aspect d2 was vastly superior.

people played d2 over and over for the same reason that you can play civilization over and over. its the same content to some extent, but it still feels like a new "world" with each playtrough. this is where diablo 3 failed miserably..

If there weran't a huge community around it and if it didn't have the cultural recognition you would probably not have bothered at all.

me and most of my friends who played d2 never went online, and certainly didnt care about any any form of community, that certainly didnt stop us from playing the game for years and years..

i have yet to figure out why its so popular to shit on the diablo series among rpg fans. i dont hear anyone shitting on rogue or dungeon crawl..

Still, it's nowhere near as overrated as Torchlight. I mean, yeah, Torchlight -definitely- has some interface and playability improvements over the competition. However, -everything- was so bland, boring, generic, and repetitive. Even with the good stuff, I couldn't play more than a few hours without moving on. I hope TL2 is better, but I doubt I'll get it.

THANK YOU. While I appreciate the effort (and the amazing price tag!) and I really wanted to like it, it's just killing for the sake of killing... (that sounds wrong) I lost interest really fast, even though there is potentially endless gameplay in there. Sigh. I'm getting old just searching for my immersion and story, huh?

THANK YOU. While I appreciate the effort (and the amazing price tag!) and I really wanted to like it, it's just killing for the sake of killing… (that sounds wrong) I lost interest really fast, even though there is potentially endless gameplay in there. Sigh. I'm getting old just searching for my immersion and story, huh?

Yeah, action RPGs have been way to naked about the grind lately. In fact, the vast majority of the genre post-Diablo 1 seems to have lost the point of what made Diablo so awesome: atmosphere and immersion. Diablo 1 has virtually no story, but it —oozes— with atmosphere. Even D2 seemed like a step back on that front, even if the game improves on D1 in virtually every other way.

My favorite go to example of this is the instruction booklet. Seriously, go read the manual for Diablo 1. It's so damn good. There are like 1-2 page long backstories just for the mobs you face… and some are incredibly twisted. This was definitely a game made with passion and -not- by committee. With Diablo 2, however, you can just -feel- the marketing people coming through and making changes.

Edit, from Diablo 1's manual, backstory of the "Overlord" mob:
"Even the Seraphim are not immune to the corruption of the
Dark Lords. One such angel, Inarius, was proud of his beauty
and boasted loudly of his purity and worth. His thoughts
became so clouded that he believed himself to be above both
Angel and Demon, and he left the High Heavens to form his
own dominion. He constructed a great cathedral of mirrored
glass and crystal, and followers flocked to him, drawn by his
numinous charm and wealth. Once Inarius had gathered a
sizable army, he decided to prove his power.

Inarius first laid siege to an infernal temple devoted to the
worship of Mephisto, but made the foolish mistake of
overestimating his prowess. The armies of Inarius laid waste
to the temple and killed the dark monks that dwelled within.
The Three Evils had considered the vain warrior a mere
nuisance and amusement until this time, but this was an insult
that they could not bear.

Mephisto himself is said to have appeared at the cathedral of
Inarius. He laid waste to the church and the surrounding
countryside. The Lord of Hatred took the proud archangel and
his followers captive. He bound Inarius with tremendous
chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel.
Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out the once
glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers.
Many of the followers of Inarius were given as gifts to Baal
and Diablo, but the rest were molded to match the bloated
image of the now crippled angel. To this day, Inarius is said to
be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn
from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form
for all eternity. His misguided followers now serve as Hell’s
taskmasters, taking the anguish of their lost glory out upon the
bodies of others.

These grotesque demons have considerable brawn hidden
beneath their layers of greasy flab. Do not underestimate their
strength or their intelligence for crossing swords with them is
ill advised. You will be far better served to combat them with