FFXV - Project Director on Potential PC Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gematsu they report on a video interview from a French game website with Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata who discussed the potential of a PC release.

According to Tabata, he is "quite positive about the idea of developing a PC version," but "would like to make a very different project if possible." Tabata says he would want a PC version to be a technical showcase.

"I have in mind a version of Final Fantasy XV that is more technically developed," Tabata said. "This version could incorporate things that we were forced to abandon because of the limitations of home consoles. With the PC, this would be an opportunity to release a version far superior in terms of quality and tech. That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use. It might not be a simple port of the console version."

Tabata also teased that they will announce downloadable content plans "later this summer," and that it won't be "basic downloadable content," but rather something that will "extend the gaming experience and ensure that players continue to play."
The Nova Crystallis site has the full translated interview available to read if your interested.

More information.

All FFs are coming to PC and FF15 will too, we don't really need official word on it. ;)
Square Enix is not stupid, it sells and since it sells, why not port it. They're not filthy rich Rockstar who doesn't care for millions they could get from porting RDR.

However, I'm one of those people who never played any FF and then bought FF13.
And stepped on a turd.
It has nothing to do with "With the PC, this would be an opportunity to release a version far superior in terms of quality and tech. That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use.". It's the base game designs I hated, not the tech under the hud.

Thus if FF15 will be FF13clone with same grindy designs but just different characters and story, count me out.

Thus if FF15 will be FF13clone with same grindy designs but just different characters and story, count me out.

I've never played FF13. What exactly was so bad about it? Most Final Fantasies have been grindy to some degree which I admit does grind my gears at some point during a playthrough.

It's a bad game, but it's really not grindy. There aren't even any random encounters for most of the game. The reason most people don't like it is either because of the combat where you can't control your characters (that part didn't bother me as much, it was wierd but it was at least different) or because of the flow of the game, where your basically just going down one giant corrider doing battle after battle, with no exploration, side quests, or even towns or people to talk to. That was the part that killed me. I know it's supposed to open up a bit (just a bit) eventually but it takes a really long time to get to that point. FF games have always been kind of linear, but FFXIII takes it to the extreme.

I've never played FF13. What exactly was so bad about it? Most Final Fantasies have been grindy to some degree which I admit does grind my gears at some point during a playthrough.

Great, scope creep. Shut the hell up Project Director.

FF games where always about amazing story, characters, exploration, graphics and music. FF13 have neither ( except graphics ). They spent entire budget on PS4 graphics on the PS3, and some truly amazing cut-scenes.

I heard the previous ports were horrible for k/b mouse users; but perhaps I was mistken ? I avoided them due to what I heard. If this guy wants to make a real k/b mouse interface why not let them ?

FF13 interface could be better but is definetly not horrible and you won't get annoyed by playing it with K/M. If it was horrible I'd have probably instantly uninstall it like I did with Neptunia where only someone from marquis de sade's novels can accept such insulting UI.

Dunno about other FF games ports though.

FF 13 had a very poorly presented story, it was very linear for much longer than earlier ones in the series were, a lot of features are locked behind tutorials for the first 2-3 hours, and I found most of the characters incredibly annoying and poorly written. They also made a big deal about developing a new strategic combat system, and there was very little strategy involved if memory serves.

I have a review for it on GameFAQs I think.

I heard the previous ports were horrible for k/b mouse users; but perhaps I was mistken ? I avoided them due to what I heard. If this guy wants to make a real k/b mouse interface why not let them ?

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 port were not that bad. Their latest port, Lightning Returns, doesn't even support the mouse, just the keyboard…

Let say that I don't trust what the director is saying…

edit:
And a new low in Square FF PC ports, the FFIX PC port requires the Android SDK.

Back
Top Bottom