PQ:G released

I'm in the "tolerable" camp, slightly toward "exciting". My complaint with it is more the number of gates to do and a generic distaste for timed games of any sort, rather than some "it's tooooo hard" punt.

Well, couldn't have said it better myself. I kinda like them, but the constant hacking just to get from point A to B, esp at the start of the game, though it gets a bit easier as I progress through the game.

I think it's the balance that's the problem. There are just too damn many of them and you have to depend too much on them to advance the game--ie go anywhere or do anything else...Four or five per system is just silly. I guess the assumption is, like Mike said, that you would love them and find them exciting. I'm more in the "annoyed" camp.

They could have had 1/3 to 1/2 of the gates open from the beginning. Use locked gates to block off special zones (Beta Centauri, some story related areas), but leave the rest open. That wouldn't really break the story, but would relieve some of the frustration players are having.

I haven't seen any hint of a patch. I'd think they could very easily make some modifications that would please a lot of gamers without watering down the title. If nothing else, I hope they do a no-cd patch at some point in the future. PQ:G would make a nice "filler" game when you've got 20 minutes to kill, but that isn't going to happen if every time I've got to find the disk and wait while the buggered installer tries to fire up.

I haven't seen any hint of a patch. I'd think they could very easily make some modifications that would please a lot of gamers without watering down the title. If nothing else, I hope they do a no-cd patch at some point in the future. PQ:G would make a nice "filler" game when you've got 20 minutes to kill, but that isn't going to happen if every time I've got to find the disk and wait while the buggered installer tries to fire up.

Which, sadly, it's something those who got the game for free (pirated) don't have to worry about :(

You know what occurred to me last night? What would solve 90% of my issues?

Let me use Psi to hack the gates.

I don't want to use Psi to bypass combat. I like combat. Let me bypass the only damned timed section, the section that offers no experience.

That fix alone, with graduated scaling for different levels and all that stuff, would be perfect.

You'll want to use Psi for non-combat later in the game, most likely. Still, I think that's a good solution. Gluttons for punishment could still hack every gate, but it wouldn't be mandatory. I ended up with hundreds of unused psi points. Might as well find something useful to do with them.

Very good idea - I'd do that in a second ... though it is true about saving some for later.

Right now, I'm level 30something, and I'm regularly cleaning the clock with most things. I'll occasionally run into something in the 40s that gives me a run for my money, but that's not disheartening, that's FUN. And yeah, I've got thousands of Psi points that I don't use because, well, I want to see if my new Denial of Turn strategy works better than my Debuff and Damage strategy.

I'm now in the high 40s. I've upgraded to the pirate battlecruiser, which has a ton of cargo room, and I'm doing sweet sweet Beta Centauri in order to upgrade to something with the full 8 slots. I've done all the non-mission-critical plots I can do. There's one critpath mission waiting for me (which I won't mention to avoid spoilers). I've used cargo sales to become the beloved ally of everybody except pirates and Soulless. The Vortraag, whose skulls litter my ion trail, hail me as a brother when my ship comes in-system.

I think I've broken the game, but hey, I'm still having fun.

You won't need an 8-slotter to win. So unless you want one "just cuz", feel free to rock on. Really, if there was a 4-slotter with the hull and shield of a 7-slotter, that would be a great ride.

I just got the plans for the Soulless Dreadnought. I'm gonna build one of those.

I think its hull is unawesome, but honestly, I got the plans by beating a Soulless Dreadnought, and the Soulless Dreadnought did not get a turn. I am not terribly worried about the amount of damage the bad guys can do.

i managed to finish the game a few weeks ago at level 44 and only the ships you can pick up.

I have to agree, the problem with the game compared to PQ:CoW is so much focus on the Leapgates. It seemed your next quest always takes you to new systems you have to hack and its like that again and again.

The difference with CoW is the next area had a chance for combat and your enemy always had some new variation you had to fight.

With these Psi's you can skip all that and you lose a lot of the real entertainment.

So dittos, I'd rather have the variety and intersting combat then the same kind of leapgates over and over. I thought I was hacking them to get to the next interesting thing but they seem to be the main focus of the game instead.

Back
Top Bottom