Dragon Age 2 - Improved Graphics in the Sequel

Dhruin

SasqWatch
You didn't know Dragon Age 2 was confirmed, did you? It's not surprising, though, and even less surprising that the graphics would be improved. Still, Greg Zeschuk wants to make that point. From Joystiq:
Dragon Age: Origins presents strong evidence that great games can overcome gawd-awful graphics, but BioWare isn't about to test that theory -- and the limits of our forgiveness -- again in the sequel. "I think one of the key things we're working on in Dragon Age 2 is the technology," BioWare VP Greg Zeschuk recently told Joystiq. "I can confirm that we're doing a lot of work on the Dragon Age engine, and doing a lot of stuff to pump it -- to make it visually super hot."
More information.

"gawd awful graphics" ... are you KIDDING me? All these graphix-ho kiddies need to get a grip.

Sheesh... can't say I'm a fan of DA but I certainly thought the graphics were good. Luckily they will be bounded by the aging 360 so it can't be that bad. Longer loads due to higher res textures and LOD I suppose. I really need to finish DA, I payed for the ultimate edition....

Yeah, it's normal to improve graphics in a sequel.
And although the graphics of DA weren't bad at all they could have been a hell of a lot better, especially the environment and some spells.

I agree about the environments, they are really bland sometimes in the game. For instance, I thought the deep roads were really boring visually. But then again the graphics are far down on my priority list when it comes to rpgs so it really didn't matter that much.

Why not focus resources on a more open world instead?

Most Bioware fans doesnt even know what that is (well ok, a few who played Baldur's Gate might know what open world and "real time" weather changes and day/night cycles is ;) ), so i doubt Bioware would bother. Bioware wants to make it easy for themselves. An open world means a _lot_ more testing for bugs, exploits etc.

More open world on a console? Even Oblivion managed to only give an illusion of that (which was more than enough for console gamers to crown it GOTY).

Dragon Age "cities" were laughably small. What made it worse was that I had only recently played Planescape Torment and sitting through DA was a step backward.

What do you mean with "illusion"? Cities had to load, but compared to any Bioware game it felt really open.

What do you mean with "illusion"? Cities had to load, but compared to any Bioware game it felt really open.

And compared to any Bioware game it felt really boring. A open world is nice but I'd rather have a story driven game like DA than an empty world like seen in Oblivion. And what defines open by the way? A huge world without loading screens ala Gothic/Risen? A huge world with loading screens like in Morrowind? A game with a world map like DA or BA or NWN2? A world map you can travel on like Strom of Zehir?

Open-world isn't the holy grail of RPG gaming. I like both kinds, so I certainly don't want ALL my games like that. But it's entirely possible on consoles. Name me one PC only game that did it better than a console would.

The graphics in Da:eek: could have been better, I agree. Looking at Mass Effect 2, I miss the detailed NPC faces and slick design. They aren't that bad, though. But I do get this distinct feeling that I'm looking at Neverwinter Nights 2 sometimes.

And compared to any Bioware game it felt really boring. A open world is nice but I'd rather have a story driven game like DA than an empty world like seen in Oblivion. And what defines open by the way? A huge world without loading screens ala Gothic/Risen? A huge world with loading screens like in Morrowind? A game with a world map like DA or BA or NWN2? A world map you can travel on like Strom of Zehir?

I don't think any of Bethesda's games are as boring as Bioware games which are mainly built upon (imo, boring) b-dialogue and b-characters. I guess it depends on what you're after, i play because i love exploring and interacting with the world (the player should be able to swim, dive, climb, pick up basicly every object) + the game should feel like its a living world (Bioware fails big time here). Its the main reason i love Bethesda's games (and i practically hate all Bioware games).

The way i see it, games are competing with entertainment such as books and movies, and those mediums just do an incredible much better job in delivering story, dialogue/characters than any Bioware ever could do, in comarison they deliver a boring and linear b-movie experience with a few choices that most of the time doesnt really matter (especially if you just play through the game once anyways).

Exploring and interacting with the world though is something books and movies cant give me, so there's where games comes into the picture and, mostly, why i play them to give me a very different experience.

Morrowind has less loading screens than Oblivion, so i dont know what your talking about. Morrowind even had open cities whilst Oblivion has to load all the citites (if you dont use the mod "open cities").

The defenintion of "open world", to me is a game that doesnt load games into levels, where there's a lot of backtracking, where you can swim, climb etc.. I prefer when I, the player, and my interactions and adventures in the game is the "story", not when the developer holds my hand thoughout the whole experinece saying "oh, now we are going to show you this spectacular view when you cross the bridge over here".. too boring, too linear and too much like a movie (only with worse effects/photo/characters/dialogue/story)..

Dragon Age "cities" were laughably small. What made it worse was that I had only recently played Planescape Torment and sitting through DA was a step backward.

Don't dare say that DA is a step backwards compared to an older Bioware game, that might get you flamed around here. ;) jk

I think DA´s interior graphics and even art direction were uniformly really good, however most of the exteriors were rather lacking in these regards which resulted in outdoor areas´ atmosphere being indistinctive and the whole experience visually a bit inconsistent.

Well, DA´s cities were sufficient imo in the overall context of the game, with one, admittedly quite important, exception being Denerim - its scope felt really inadequately small.
Bringing Torment to discussion is really unfair however - Sigil is easily the most interesting city ever conceived in a cRPP, yes, but almost the whole game plays in there and even Torment´s own other locations felt inadequate in comparison (Curst, Baator).
And frankly, after I´ve I finished Torment, every game felt like a step backwards to me for a while.

Well at least they understand the complaints of there customers, its the gawd awful graphics that made me stop playing DA.... The fact that it wont load the dwarfven city and the memory leak wouldn't let me leave Redcliffs shop causing me to reset my pc six times are mere coincidence so this gives me for the squeal and future DLC witch they happily keep producing without patching the fucking game... :mad:

A new patch is being worked on, says Fernando Melo:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/94/index/841470&lf=8
2) The known issues with the DLC updater service
There is an overhaul of this coming in the next PC patch, but in the meantime the same issues we saw with a portion of players after game launch - including dlc not appearing (service not running), downloads stuck, losing authentication, losing connection, firewall issues, cd key missing from registry and issues with the digital download version of the game, etc - are still possible culprits.

The graphics, I've seen looks OK to me. From what I've read it seems to be the combat system that needs fixing, not making the graphics 'look super-hot'.

I think they're more talking about the graphics on the consoles than on the PC. I've heared some pretty bad stories about the graphics on them.

But still, they could up the outdoor and city enviroments a lot more. Take a look at Drakensang for example, its outdoor and city enviroments are vastly superior.

I don't think any of Bethesda's games are as boring as Bioware games which are mainly built upon (imo, boring) b-dialogue and b-characters. I guess it depends on what you're after, i play because i love exploring and interacting with the world (the player should be able to swim, dive, climb, pick up basicly every object) + the game should feel like its a living world (Bioware fails big time here). Its the main reason i love Bethesda's games (and i practically hate all Bioware games).

The way i see it, games are competing with entertainment such as books and movies, and those mediums just do an incredible much better job in delivering story, dialogue/characters than any Bioware ever could do, in comarison they deliver a boring and linear b-movie experience with a few choices that most of the time doesnt really matter (especially if you just play through the game once anyways).

Exploring and interacting with the world though is something books and movies cant give me, so there's where games comes into the picture and, mostly, why i play them to give me a very different experience.

Morrowind has less loading screens than Oblivion, so i dont know what your talking about. Morrowind even had open cities whilst Oblivion has to load all the citites (if you dont use the mod "open cities").

The defenintion of "open world", to me is a game that doesnt load games into levels, where there's a lot of backtracking, where you can swim, climb etc.. I prefer when I, the player, and my interactions and adventures in the game is the "story", not when the developer holds my hand thoughout the whole experinece saying "oh, now we are going to show you this spectacular view when you cross the bridge over here".. too boring, too linear and too much like a movie (only with worse effects/photo/characters/dialogue/story)..

In that case we can agree to disagree. ;-)

I actually find games with a huge open world and nothing (or to little) in it far more boring than the b-characters, b-story games you criticize. That does not mean that I can'T stand exploring just that I don't like playing games like Morrwind or Oblivion because they are too empty for me. Yes you have hughe cities with dozens or hundreds of npcs but I'd rather have ten npcs with dialog an text than a hundred with out anything meaningful to say (and only a few with stories of their own).

Actually you can translate that to: I like Risen/Gothic, Mass Effect and NWN but not Morrowind (and similar games). :)

Back
Top Bottom